http://www.organlive.com - recharge your organ music ears for free!
  • Catholic organists live in a sort of vacuum, unable to get out and hear other organists in other parishes since we are busy at the same time they are. What's one way to keep your ears open for new music and organ registrations?

Organ Live is a great service, now with an option of Baroque organ music that you may choose as well. The performances are no just professional CD's of a few top artists, but include recordings of organists from around the world who submit them to be played.

24 hours a day, Organ Live.
  • RevAMG
    I've been listening to Organ Live for years now: it's really wonderful. They have a "request" feature as well that will play your requested piece usually within an hour.
  • Not to knock but to thank Noel for this interesting avenue of organ performance enlightenment -
    But playing Sunday mornings puts Catholic organists in the same boat with Protestant ones, who, likewise, cannot go to hear their colleagues play at that time.

They do, though, attend AGO and non-AGO organ recitals and educational events.
    Without meaning to be catty, there are likely to be far fewer Catholics than Protestants at these events, which one might well chalk up to dis-interest.
    However, for those who are interested, recitals are a superb means of hearing 'what I want to emulate', 'what I wish I could play like', or of hearing that which (sometimes) begets the thought, 'eek, I can play better than that'.

Also, as anyone these days should know, one can hear anything one wishes on youtube for free at anytime day or night.

At any rate, many thanks for this, Noel.
    I didn't know about it
    and am going to explore it right now.
  • CharlesW
    I wasn't familiar with this, either. It is now safely enshrined among my bookmarks. I do attend organ concerts - was at an AGO one on Monday - when it is on an instrument I can bear to hear, and the recitalist is accomplished, as was the case Monday.
  • MarkS
    Thanks for pointing to this. I've enjoyed listening for the past day or so. What I find particularly valuable is listening to things it would never have occurred to me to seek out.

On the other hand, it has also reinforced my growing realization that there just is quite a lot of organ music, some of it quite well thought-of, which I really don't particularly care for! But it's always interesting to hear good players on fine instruments, and the sound is quite good.