New to St. Meinrad Chant Font
  • Hi everyone. I am currently doing a simple chant project for the carmelite monastery here in the Philippines. I just started using St. Meinrad font to write down melodies in square note but I am not familiar how I will put the text on the chant melody. Any suggestion on how to do this?

Respectfully,

theusiv
  • donr
    It depends on what text editor you are using. I use Microsoft Word when creating what I need. You just type the text underneath the notes and use spaces where necessary.
    I usually use the Meinrad font at 36 point and the text at either 12 or 14 point. I use Garamond font for the text.

Normally I set the paragraph property to zero spacing Before and After and Line Spacing to Single.
  • This is certainly very helpful. I just tried your suggestion and IT WORKED! Thank you very much!!!
  • Yes. There is no way to attach a syllable of text to a note as one would do in other notation programs--it is simply a matter of using the Meinrad font for the music and another text font for the words and spacing. If you change the font size, or page size then everything will have to be manually realigned. Also, if sharing the document with others it would be best to save/send as a PDF since the recipient won't be able to view it unless they have the same font installed on their machine.
  • I like to have the large first letter beginning a chant, so I enlarge the font for the meinrad line to 48 point but set the paragraph line spacing at exactly 44 pt. On the first line of a chant, I space forward to allow room for the large first letter on the text line. Then, on the text line, I set the font size to 48 points for the first letter, but exactly 15 points on the paragraph setting. After the first letter, change the font to 11 or 12 point, whichever you prefer (still use the exactly 15 point setting on paragraph).

Note: While you are working with the chant in Word, it will look strange (like part of the letter is cut off). It prints very nicely, though.

If you want to see an actual word doc with these settings, let me know by pm and I'll send one off to you.

Not quite as elegant and lovely as Gregorio, but not bad for Meinrad :)
  • seanmcd3
    I just downloaded the Meinrad font yesterday. I haven't been able to complete the following steps, as none of the things indicated in this list are on my iMac in System Prefs:

8. Open System Preferences and choose International. (I don't have an "International" to choose)
    9. Click the Input Menu tab.
    10. Put a check in the checkbox beside the Meinrad keyboard.
    11. To access the Meinrad keyboard layout, click on the flag at the top of the screen,
    and then select Meinrad from the list.
    12. If you choose “Open International,” you can choose a way to change keyboards
    with a keystoke. Otherwise you must use the mouse to click on the keyboard
    images and choose the keyboard that you want.

I have Mac OS 10.11.6 and the Meinrad keyboard doesn't show up anywhere, even after a Restart. Has anyone had similar snafus with setting up the keyboard?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I don't know what is meant by "international" either, but I can click on the upper right flag icon and get "open keyboard preferences" as an option, then click "+" to get a menu of things to add, from Hungarian long/short umlauts to Cherokee syllabary.

I'm starting to think it was a mistake to learn standard Russian Cyrillic layout instead of phonetic QWERTY: Sibelius commands do not behave at all the same!