Cantor selections for an outdoor wedding in Lent.
  • Hello, everyone -

This is my first post and I am thankful for your feedback. That said, I have been asked to sing at an outdoor wedding on March 11th, 2017. I am used to having the music already provided; however, I have been asked to be in charge of the musical selections in the eleventh hour.

I already have the appropriate propers from the English Gradual I will be singing - it will only be me and a harpist offering the music. Also, I will be singing some standards such as Panis Angelicus and The Wedding Song by Heinrich Schutz before Communion.

Does anyone know what anthems (they would prefer English) I could sing as a soloist for Offertory and Communion? Again, I am the only one singing so the standard SATB simply does not work in this setting.

Finally, does this fulfill the musical requirements for an outdoor wedding?

Propers - selected
    Panis Angelicus - selected
    The Wedding Song - Heinrich Schutz - need music.
    I DO NOT have the offertory or communion anthems.
    Bride and Groom are selecting final hymn.

Just to be clear. I have the propers in hand as well as Panis Angelicus. However, I still need The Wedding Song by Heinrich Schutz and any suggestions for the Offertory and Communion Anthems. Traditionally, they are sung with choir SATB. This being the case, I am at a loss for tenor anthem solos.

I look forward to hearing your feedback. Thank you.

• Full Lyric,

I am confused, so I will try to paraphrase what you wrote:

You desire tenor solos to sing for an outdoor wedding, solos which are (or can be) reasonably accompanied by a harp, and you need the solution in time to rehearse for a wedding 2 weeks from now?

As to the question of "does this fulfill the musical requirements for an outdoor wedding?", although I have never done one of these, it would seem that the liturgy of the Church is the liturgy of the Church, and so the musical requirements would not change. I am unaware of any directives, suggestions or magisterial teaching on what to do, musically, for an outdoor wedding.
  • Liam
    That's because Catholic weddings are subject to much higher obstacles to being celebrated outside a church or chapel (the bishop's permission is needed) than an outdoor Mass. The chief practical musical difference is acoustics or lack thereof - that would seem to be the main practical differentiating consideration as among otherwise suitable choices.
  • CharlesW
    Is it a mass or just a wedding ceremony? March 11th? I hope you are in a warm climate.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • Hello, Chris, Liam and Charles:

This is in Southern California, so the climate should not be an issue. Acoustically, it may be a challenge.

Also, allow me to clarify any confusion to my aforementioned inquiry. The sacraments will be blessed before hand so, no one save the groom and bride will be partaking in communion.

To be more concise, I am seeking repertoire/anthems appropriate for tenor solo voice during Offertory & Communion. Any suggestions?

Usually, this is the responsibility of the Music Director. However, since this is an outdoor/offsite wedding, the groom and bride have not received much direction here and have asked me to step in. The specificity of selecting liturgical music is not an area I am particularly used to. I am, however quite comfortable singing the sacred text and have done so for some time. Sometimes when you need help, you yell it from the roof top lol.
  • chonakchonak
    Welcome, FullLyric. Looking around on the net, I get the impression that you're not likely to find the Schutz song available for download. If the English text was written in recent decades (it was published in 1951), it may be still under copyright. I did see a score for high voice offered at Amazon for a few dollars, so that may be the most expedient source.

Going by the description you give, I think the Schutz "Wedding Song" would be suitable for the Offertory, and "Panis angelicus" for the Communion. If only the bride and groom are going to receive Holy Communion [which is not a standard procedure], then it won't take long, and there likely wouldn't be time to sing a second piece.
    Thanked by 1FullLyric
  • KyleM18
    Ah, so a liturgy of the word with the presanctified eucharist? For the Offertory and Communion, I do not know of many solo works suitable for liturgy, much less for Harp and tenor. Having the harp play/improvise on a wedding-appropriate hymn with you singing it would be my best try. I'm sure others at this site have ideas concerning the hymns, but I have not done a wedding before.
    Thanked by 1FullLyric
  • Thank you, Chonak and Kyle:

First, Chonak, you are quiet right about it being a difficult task to find Schutz "Wedding Song." This would be much easier if I had access to the musical archives of the church -which are usually stocked with decades of out-of-print issues. Alas, my fate is to "seek and ye shall find." And as you stated, this is not a standard wedding procedure and will be much shorter, especially during Communion. If you find anything, I would very much appreciate you sending me a link I can go to. At this point, I will most likely need to purchase music through a downloadable link.

Kyle, I just finished coordinating with our harpist and she is willing and able to accompany me based on the piano sheet music. Phew, I feel like I'm getting close folks! It's safe to say, there will be a great deal of improvisation....
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • chonakchonak
    Here's what I saw on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=wedding+song+schutz
    Some of the vendors, but not all, offer expedited shipping, if you can stand to spend the extra money: $15 shipping on a $7 score!
    Thanked by 1FullLyric
  • KyleM18
    What hymnal, if any, do you happen to own? I'm sure that there is a section of Marriage hymns. A setting of the Ubi Caritas might be appropriate for communion. PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THE PRAYER! Also, because it is in lent, any music with the word ALLELUIA is to be avoided, hopefully the couple to be knows.