Flor Peeters Organ Program - Pipedreams
  • http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2017/1707/

Flor Peeters was a major composer for Catholic organists in the mid-20th century.

He. like Langlais, Benoit and others continued to pursue the modal base for composition when other composers were major/minor.
  • dad29
    THANK YOU!

Only sorry that the show did not include more of his choral works--like the St Joseph Mass, or his Ave Maria
  • CharlesW
    In days of yore and the days of my youth, Peeters had a good friend in my city that he would visit from time to time. When he was here, he gave master classes and workshops free and open to anyone who wanted to attend. He is, I think, one of the most underestimated composers of his time. I use his music and think it quite good.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Sorry, Charles -
    As you suggest, he may have been a stellar paedagogue and dedicated promoter of ecclesiastical music, but his own music has always left me wondering 'what all the fuss was about'. At the first Catholic church that I served (at the end and after the council) we did his Entratata Festiva to death - just an fff continuum of gaudy, bloated, sound. I haven't heard it since then - except that we did it, to my chagrin, for the episcopal ordination of Bishop Lopes. He was, though, a recipient of the Pontifical Equestrian Order of St Gregory the Great!

I have several of his organ works in my library, but have never played them.
    Perhaps I should take another look at them.
  • CharlesW
    Jackson, yes he did do some large and loud works. He also wrote some organ pieces that were variations and improvisations on Gregorian chants. He wrote some rather simple choral anthems that I find useful.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • MarkS
    I play this one most every year:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic2nWDwnLAI
    I take it a click or two faster than he does—I think the melody flows better that way. But what do I know?

There are a couple of others that I find useful, especially his setting of GROSSER GOTT, which is a fun, fairly short toccata-like all-purpose festive postlude.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • dad29
    MJO, have you looked at his St. Joseph mass-setting? Or at his Ave Maria (a piece used at an early CMAA gathering by Salamunovich at the old Christendom College venue)?

These are "church-choir" accessible settings, and "church-organist", not "concert-organist", too, just as are his "Miniatures for Organ."

He was clearly attempting to encourage young organists and not-so-professional choirs. And no, I am not confusing him with Bach, Brahms, or Britten on 'order of greatness.'
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • ViolaViola
    Where can his choral music be found? It doesn't seem to be on cpdl.
  • CharlesW
    He died in 1986, so I would think most of his work is still under copyright. J.W. Pepper and Sheet Music Plus have some of his scores for sale. Others too, likely, but I can't recall at the moment.
  • dad29
    At one time, his stuff was published by Peters. Almost sounds like a pun...

Two of the Masses (St Joseph and St John the Baptist) were published by McLaughlin & Reilly, but that house is (sadly) quite dead.
  • CharlesW
    Edition Peeters was, and I assume still is, published by Music Publishing Company, London.
  • Peeters was a great choral composer ! In the eighties and nineties I sang in the boyschoir of Antwerp Cathedral and we sung his music very often. I even had the pleasure of singing his Missa Festiva (great mass !) with him playing the organ at Mechelen Cathedral. He can have 'loud' music but great choral stuff as well : his 'Ego sum panis vivus' is a real gem. I have some choral copies for those interested.
  • CharlesW
    I have great respect for Peeters and find his compositions excellent for Catholic worship.