Tasteful Use of Guitar in Liturgical Music
  • Students at St Michael's Choir School have been playing the entrance hymn at the Friday 12:10 mass. We have not been using a cantor because the hymns are absolutlely singable by the congregation without the leader or even accompaniment. On the contrary, the P&W hymns require piano and a strong leader otherwise my congregations complain of a dead sound sand say that they expect a performance. That is simply not what sacred music is, and is certainly the polar opposite of the mass.
  • My problem with your examples is not guitar, piano, or drums. My problem is that you are robbing the congregation of its voice. This is anti-progressive; as caring of the people as a populist demagogue.

One of the primary attributes of songs I pick is that a congregation can sing them. We appear to have a difference in judgement as to what a congregation can sing but we do not have a difference in philosophy. It makes me upset to hear arguments that the congregation doesn't need to sing.

Some of my friends sings worship songs acapella for fun. It's doable!
  • CharlesW
    Other....
    *O How Blessed-Schutte (only because of silly note value assignment)
    **All Carey Landry songs (just because.)

Don't hand me that Schutte! LOL. I tend to throw out anything by him because I view him as a plagiarist. Landry, I can go along with "just because."
  • a_f_hawkins
    I know this is not a comprehensive test, but I googled taste and see angrisano and listened to the first youtube that came up. At first I heard only a piano, then there was a voice somewhere hiding behind it, then some singing that got almost as loud as the piano. I tried listening with my eyes closed so as not to see the lyrics displayed and I could not make out a single word though I suspect since there was quite a lot of AW or OR sound the word Lord figured prominently. As performed, that's not liturgical music, or even sacred music, I am not sure it's even religious.
  • Well, OCP for the most part isn't in the business of contemporary worship music and much of what they market as such sucks.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    One of the primary attributes of songs I pick is that a congregation can sing them. We appear to have a difference in judgement as to what a congregation can sing but we do not have a difference in philosophy. It makes me upset to hear arguments that the congregation doesn't need to sing.

Some of my friends sings worship songs acapella for fun. It's doable!

I think we do have a difference in philosophy. I want the congregation to hear its own voice. You seem to want them to have an emotional experience while singing along to a praise band.

I have done plenty of "praise music" unaccompanied. Yes it's doable. Yes it's fun. And only some of it works.
  • I want the congregation to hear its own voice.

Me too! I'm not in the business of amplification and effects to the point that you can't hear yourself or ever the choir anymore. I only pick songs where the human voice is the lead instrument.

You seem to want them to have an emotional experience while singing along to a praise band.

All music of any genre is an emotional experience. That's why we sing the words rather than read the words. Music helps direct our entire person, which includes our emotions, to God.

There is a difference between this and just seeking out an emotional roller coaster, and I make a point of avoiding such songs.

I have done plenty of "praise music" unaccompanied. Yes it's doable. Yes it's fun. And only some of it works.

I stick to the some of it that works.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • a_f_hawkins
    jclangfo - reading that, I wonder how we seem to be disagreeing.
  • chonakchonak
    Perhaps it would be worthwhile here to introduce into the discussion a concept that hasn't been noted yet.

In the liturgy, some chants are sung as an act of worship in themselves, while others are sung to accompany some action, usually a procession. For example, the Gloria and the Credo are acts of worship in themselves. Nothing else happens while they are underway. On the other hand, the entrance chant, the offertory chant, and the communion chant are sung to accompany some other action which has priority at the moment.

The entrance chant, the introit, has the structure of an antiphon with verses, so it can be adapted in length, depending on the time needed for the entrance procession. That procession is meant to be the focus of attention when it is happening, and it should be performed with the aim of dignity, peace, and beauty, and not with casualness or mere efficiency.

In a small church, that might mean as little as singing the antiphon once, with no verses. In a long church, it might mean to sing the antiphon, and the psalm verse, and a Gloria Patri, and repeating the antiphon again in between.

Similarly, the offertory chant and the communion chant have the same form: an antiphon with verses, with the same flexibility.

Now, even though I've praised classic strophic hymns on the grounds of singability and harmonic interest, they do fall short in two ways. The first is practical: many hymn texts present a theological or narrative movement which calls for singing all the verses, which in many cases would leave the priest and the sacred ministers waiting excessively. So we end up sacrificing the completeness of the hymn for the sake of letting the liturgy proceed at its own natural pace.

The second is that the hymn texts, however good they may be, are usually not the texts the Church has prescribed in the standard liturgical books. For those who aren't familiar with it, the Church prescribes the texts of the entrance chant, offertory chant, and communion chant in the "Roman Gradual", the Graduale Romanum. They are provided for every Sunday, every feast day, every observance in the church calendar.

Those texts are official parts of the liturgy, and when we sing those texts, we are truly singing the Mass. But when we sing a hymn or a sacropop ditty or a P&W song that takes five minutes, we are singing some other words which are merely tacked on to the Mass.

Now, I don't think it's bad to sing an additional musical work during Communion or during the Offertory rite, or even during the entrance procession, if it's extremely long (e.g., at an ordination). But to add these extraneous works and omit the authentic texts of the Church is not right. Back in the 1970s, when the liturgical revisions were just being implemented, the liturgical authorities in Rome once made this point in their journal Notitiae, and said that if some other piece of music is done but not the authentic antiphons, then the people are being cheated. If I remember the Italian aright, the commentator said "the people are being given chaff instead of good grain".

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    @jclangfo

There is a strong disconnect between what you say you think and the music you provided as examples. This tells me that further discussion on this point is likely not worthwhile. I don't mean that in a negative way (as if I think you are stubborn), but rather -- words and ideas are not the problem.

Therefore, I will -- barring something truly interesting to draw me back in -- conclude my remarks on this topic with only a suggestion.

If you have not done so, I recommend spending serious time in a tradition that truly values congregational singing. This could be an Luther or Anglican parish, a Church of Christ, or even a Shape Note singing club. Attend some Hymn Society gatherings or Music that Makes Community workshops. Heck -- go to a World Music Drumming intensive.

I'd also like to offer a few thoughts I've written at the Chant Cafe:

http://www.chantcafe.com/2013/05/a-firm-foundation.html --- This is concerned with the need to bring children up in a stable tradition, and the problems with creating a worship experience too specific to a particular time or place.

http://www.chantcafe.com/2014/07/lessons-from-churches-of-christ.html --- Discusses my concerns over performer-oriented music.

Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • +1 for Shape Note or Sacred Harp or Harmonia Sacra singing. The least performer-orientable sacred singing possible.
  • Liam
    And the Sacred Harp can even help the Irish break out in lusty congregational song, to a tune by none other than Boston's William Billings - a different kind of multiculturalism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L26LNlh2AzI
  • Many thanks for that, Liam -
    It is literally thrilling.
    Too, it sort of puts the lie to 'the people can't this and that', doesn't it!
    These certainly aren't trained choir people, they are just people.
    Complex rhythm.
    Counterpoint.
    An elementary polyphonic texture.
    A rather predictable harmonic procedure.
    Even a mildly challenging tessitura.
    And, all from memory!

Unlike what has been pawned off on the Catholic Church -
    This is genuine folk music!
    Unvarnished tonal production, raucous diction and all.

Still, it would be a mistake to attempt to graft this cultural phenomenon onto Catholic liturgy for the misbegotten sake of inculturation. (Least of all just because somebody 'liked it'.)

On the other hand, if I had to choose betwixt Glory and Praise and electrocuted guitars, and this, I would choose this without blinking an eye. It's genuine. It's human. It's real.

And here's another thought - it isn't altogether impossible that polyphony sounded more or less like this in polyphony's day. (If the Sistine Chapel Choir are any guide, it's not at all unbelievable!)
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I see that Davis' premiere off-campus concert venue has been recently visited by the Mystery Worshiper who seems to have found the guitar use tasteful indeed.
  • MJO, have you ever been to a Sacred Harp singing? I can clearly remember the first time I did -- for this brought-up Anglican musician, it was a revelation!

Many or most singers are not singing from memory, but from the characteristic shaped-notation printed music. In its origins that notation was for teaching.
  • I see that Davis' premiere off-campus concert venue has been recently visited by the Mystery Worshiper who seems to have found the guitar use tasteful indeed.
    Do we just look for a dude in a Zorro mask to see if we are being visited?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I think the MW is the Lone Ranger.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    And here's another thought - it isn't altogether impossible that polyphony sounded more or less like this in polyphony's day. (If the Sistine Chapel Choir are any guide, it's not at all unbelievable!)

I think this is probably true.

I'd like to hear Byrd's Three Voice Mass sung sung by English tradesmen using authentic pronunciation, in a hidden basement chapel. I'm pretty sure it would sound more like rowdy Primitive Baptists than like the Tallis scholars. (And I'm pretty sure I'd be into it.)
  • Interesting, Adam -
    This would be a curious academic experiment -
    still, though,
    for liturgy I'd opt for the Tallis Scholars!

There are those who study pronunciation and vocal production who can tell us more or less how people spoke and sang at such and such a period and place.
    A good example of this is that well-known recording by Paul McCreesh of a mass by John Shephard, featuring the English pronunciation of Latin before the great vowel shift.
    Vocal production in song and chant seems to have varied all over Europe, having elicited various estimations of the singing of various lands, some being not altogether flattering.
    English boys, though, seem consistently to have been praised for their angelic sound.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    What does any of this have to do with guitars at Mass? I've yet to go to Mass where the guitar made the singing any easier. All they know how to do is strum, strum, strum. How can possibly help? If they could pick, that might be different, but seems as most guitarists only learn the chords and not how to play properly.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • a_f_hawkins
    bhcordova - yes, except that it can be helpful to the amateur scratch group that has turned up early enough to practice the tunes, in lieu of a conductor - eyes for the words and ears for coordination. I am NOT saying this makes it a good idea.
  • I've yet to go to Mass where the guitar made the singing any easier. All they know how to do is strum, strum, strum. How can possibly help? If they could pick, that might be different, but seems as most guitarists only learn the chords and not how to play properly.

Referring back to my original post, I was harshly critical of this trend. My goal is to promote good practice. Unfortunately, the number of guitar players with genuine talent and experience is greatly dwarfed by the number of incompetent beginners we let play at Mass. The anything-goes culture needs to change.

http://contemporaryorthodoxy.weebly.com/blog/guitar-in-liturgical-music
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    bhcordova - yes, except that it can be helpful to the amateur scratch group that has turned up early enough to practice the tunes, in lieu of a conductor - eyes for the words and ears for coordination. I am NOT saying this makes it a good idea.

Dunno, I've been a part of that 'amateur scratch group', and it never helped me. Except maybe to keep tempo.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Practical ideas:
    1. No parish Mass, large or small capacity, requires more than two guitarists, EVER. One accomplished/competent finger stylist can suffice nicely.
    2. If your guitarist(s) cannot finger-pick (classically or Travis style), do not accept them into the ensemble or as an accompanist for a song leader/cantor/psalmist. A good finger-stylist will also likely be a tasteful strummer. Yes, Virginia, that can be done.
    3. A guitarist must be able to accompany in roughly the same manner as an ensemble pianist: articulate bass note movement/solid mid chordal comping/some melodic cues in the upper three strings- simultaneously.
    4. Ability to read classical notation not necessity; ability to play classically a must.
    5. Must know and use common chord clusters, ie. suspended (6/4s-4-3s/sus7s etc.); compound chords 7thsMm/9thsMm/augmented/diminished/secondary dominant such as ii7/5s, inversions etc.
    6. Don't be afraid of amplification; just be discreet with effects and in relation to the room and acoustical ambience.
    7. Don't necessarily try to play guitar style ala the "recording." Be creative according to what other resources you have or not.
    8. Make sure other musicians are up to speed. Avoid playing with a drum kit...a basic bassist who only plays 1 and 5.....polka pianists (oompa).....
    9. If you can work with an organist, do it. If the organist is a skilled improviser, spend some time outside of Mass etc. to musically dialogue.
    10. Use your ear above all else. Follow Miles Davis Rule, if you don't know whether your next note is better a half or whole step, do yer homework.
  • melo - If we all had sufficient musicians to be able to apply your principles, the world would be a happier place. But in my neck of the woods, we don't. The choice is to let music go totally, or have less than what the world would consider optimal.

BTW, I can honestly say that I've yet to go to Mass where the organ made the singing any easier. Usually they make it a good deal more difficult.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If your only option for instruments is bad playing, remember:
    Unaccompanied singing is always an option.
  • a_f_hawkins
    One problem with unaccompanied congregational singing is that it can very slow Psalm 23 to The Bays of Harris. We, or at least I, don't want someone having to wave their arms to keep things moving.
  • People need to be called to higher standards of music. I let people without experience or talent sing and play for me. However, I make them earn significant roles in the group through improvement. I call people out on their mistakes and push people hard to do better than what they think their best is.

When discussing a scratch group of amateurs, there needs to be leadership from the church to get these people to a place where they are producing good music. People can improve when there is strong leadership that creates a cultural expectation of excellence.

Part of my motivation in writing this blog post was just to get some ideas out there about how the guitar can be used more appropriately. For people who have never been in a culture where things were done well, tasteless strumming might be all they know could exist.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    As a fan of Classical guitar, I definitely know there is better than just strumming - tasteless or otherwise. Apparently, the only guitarists who know how to to more than strum are the bass guitarists, and they all play the same 3 or 4 basic bass lines which could be (and have been) done better by a string bass.
  • a place where they are producing good music

Do you mean "play musically", or "play music suited for the worship of God", both or neither?
  • Both. People's opinions about the suitability of the guitar to worship of God are, in my opinion, badly tainted by experiences of bad guitar playing.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The thread has become a Möbius strip.
  • ˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ puɐ pǝʇɹǝʌuı ƃuıʇʇǝƃ sı ʇxǝʇ ǝɥʇ uǝʌǝ pu∀
    Thanked by 4canadash Liam CharlesW JL
  • ...has become...

Ha! I don't know about a Mobius strip, Charles. Actually, I had to look that up - and you seem to be right. It is, though, certainly an eccentric thread - eccentric as in the fox being in the hen house.

This is, after all, the internet forum of the Church Music Association of America (known affectionately as the CMAA), dedicated to liturgical chant and the Church's patrimony, past and present, of liturgical music, and the fox has a surprising number of the membership actually talking with him about the virtues of guitars as liturgical instruments, providing, of course, that they are 'tastefully' played! And! Not only guitars, but vocal music that is as far from ever being 'patrimonial' as is the east from the west. Now, that is quite a feather in his cap. One might even call it a tour de force! What's next? Guitars at CMAA colloquia masses? Why not? Providing, of course, that they are tastefully played according to the fox's definition of 'tasteful'.

(Just for the record - I haven't the least doubt that the fox is a brilliant person and a very nice one at that, but his presumptions in this matter are somewhat audacious.)

I suspect that quite a few of us do appreciate the guitar as a serious musical instrument, particularly when played by an artist-musician. I do. In fact, I like it. I also like it in its own milieu, which masters such as Segovia knew so well. It has no more place as a normal instrument in Catholic liturgy than a kazoo. But then, on the other hand - um, what if the kazoo were 'tastefully' played? As for the meretricious music which the fox advocates for the people to sing, pity the people who are so starved of musical discernment and taste that they would consent to sing it.

This 'Mobius strip' of yours, Charles, reminds me of the debate in the Episcopal church (and the Anglican church at large) over the 'ordination' of women. The very smart (and ever-so-nice) ladies found that as long as they could keep the discussion going and prick enough consciences over the supposed 'injustices' being done them their opponents would eventually cave in - which, as we know, they did.
  • Why not play the guitar as a continuo instrument? I doubt anybody objects to the theorbo accompaniment in many recordings of Monteverdi's Vespers of the BVM, so why not use the guitar according to accepted precedent?
  • I'll buy that, Protasius!
  • By the way, Andrew!
    HOW did you do that???
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Both. People's opinions about the suitability of the guitar to worship of God are, in my opinion, badly tainted by experiences of bad guitar playing.

This is emphatically not the case. I have experienced lots of excellent guitar playing -- both acoustic and electric -- in a number of styles, played in liturgy, para-liturgical events, non-liturgical church services, religious music concerts, and (of course) lots of non-religious contexts.

My issue is your conception of what qualifies as "tasteful" and (more) what constitutes congregational singing.

Besides that, you aren't really advocating for "tasteful use of the guitar". You are advocating for a style/genre of music, which happens to bring guitar along for the ride. I think (relatively) few people here would object to (for example) classical guitar accompanying Gregorian chant or used as a continuo instrument with Baroque choral music. Guitar isn't the issue.
  • CharlesW
    BRING BACK THE SERPENT.
  • dad29
    You are advocating for a style/genre of music, which happens to bring guitar along for the ride.

Umnnhhhh...yes. In fact, we could take that a step further. In the book "Christ and Reason," Fr. Rutler examines the thoughts of various theologically-influential people, among them (ex-) Fr. Loisy, S.J. (He's "ex-" because he was a heretic.)

Here's Loisy on prayer:

[Prayer] derives its value from the feeling that prompts it and determines its moral efficacy, not from the occasion that provokes it, nor even from the good to which it seems directed....

It's clear that the priorities of Loisy are reversed, and so are the priorities of those who pitch 'feelings'.
  • It's never gone away.

" This is a copy of a fine serpent d’église (keyless) by Baudouin c.1810."

Serpent
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Boston Symphony Bass Trombonist Doug Yeo plays the serpent
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JL
    Thanks to Protasius, who got there with continuo before I did. Not only organists, but also guitarists, should have at least a passing familiarity with figured bass. A bit of filled-out and slightly embellished continuo could be quite fetching with Anglican chant sung by a small choir.

I would add two other possibilities for appropriate guitar use within liturgy: intabulation and (really) accompanying chant. It is entirely possible for a guitarist to intabulate a favorite motet or hymntune (or even a chorale prelude or suchlike) in the style of lutenists and vihuelists past, and thus produce an entirely suitable prelude, communion voluntary, or bit o' filler.

A modern guitar accompanying chant may seem a little out there, but there is a long tradition of accompanying modal monody (both secular and sacred) with plucked instruments (usually harp, lute, citole, psaltery, etc.), and the practice is still used by many medieval ensembles performing these days. Here's an example with a chant sequence for Bl. Charlemagne:

http://www.meravelha.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/In-Karoli-snippet.mp3

Here's another one with a recently-composed monody and improvised accompaniment:

http://www.meravelha.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Foebus-Abierat-Teri-Jaya-snippet.mp3

(Full disclosure: that's me on harp.)

My one caution here is that modal chant (Gregorian, Ambrosian, etc.) is designed for Pythagorean tuning, and the modern guitar is not. You could, I suppose, fuss around with all the frets and such--or you could just approach it with the knowledge that organists have been accompanying chant for years in pretty much every temperament known to man, and as long as you don't strum or throw in vulgar diminished sevenths, it'll probably be fine.

And yes, let us agree that the electric guitar (along with the VibraSlap, the kazoo, and the bicycle horn) is not an appropriate instrument for liturgy. That said, outside of church I would love to hear some top-notch electric guitarists take on the Widor Toccata. It's a pity the late Jimi Hendrix never did.
    Thanked by 2MarkS CHGiffen
  • JL
    And CharlesW, if you come to the Boston Early Music Festival exhibition (summers in odd-numbered years), you will not only see a serpent, but have the opportunity to try it out. And you might meet a tromba marina while you're at it.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • It's clear that the priorities of Loisy are reversed, and so are the priorities of those who pitch 'feelings'.

The people on here pushing "feelings" are those who, contrary to the liturgical legislation from the church, believe that only chant and polyphony should be used.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The people on here pushing "feelings" are those who, contrary to the liturgical legislation from the church, believe that only chant and polyphony should be used.

While I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, believes this, this has not been the viewpoint expressed by people in this thread.
  • JL has voiced some quite interesting ideas, all with a delightful reference to historical and patrimonial precedent (and taste!). I could accept them in practice. (One little reservation: surely one could intuit that the guitar, however played, would be, um, totally out of character in Anglican chant... n'est ce pas?

As for the so-called 'electric guitar', he is spot on here, too!. The guitar so unfortunate as to have been subjected to electrification, in music sacred or secular, is a piteous one, indeed; and the result is hardly different from (though worse than) a wailing Ondes Martinot - which, I'm sure, some soul, somewhere, would put forth, seriously, as suitable for Catholic liturgy. One of the many lessons I've learnt over my portion of years is that one reaches a point (successive points, actually) at which he thinks he's seen the worst and that there can't possibly be anything more reprehensible, but... sure enough, someone can be counted upon to come up with it from nowhere.
  • MarkS
    Thank you! Should be required reading—all of it.
  • JL
    MJO, I am not sufficiently well-versed in Anglican liturgical music to know when Anglican chant qua Anglican chant came on the scene, and what instruments besides a) organ and b) nothing have been used by its best practitioners. Could, perhaps, a theorbo have landed in the mix, or an archlute? Of course guitar is absolutely out if we are, say, attempting to recreate the sound of the Chapel Royal under HM Victoria, but does a guitar intabulation (or a viol consort, or handbells) make it another genre? That's a question above my pay grade.

For myself, I'm not all that fond of the modern guitar, but I'm not so wild about the modern flute either. I love both their baroque-and-before predecessors, though--and also pretty much any kind of bagpipe--but that's taste for you.

One tiny point: I am she, not he. (But then, I guess one can be anyone on the internet, in which case I am six feet tall, independently wealthy, and able to leap small buildings in a single bound.)

[Edited to correct the runaway italics. If I make mistakes like that, it's no wonder I can't manage the purple for the last bit. I'm actually of modest stature, of modest means, and reasonably decent at jumping over mud puddles.--JL]