Tasteful Use of Guitar in Liturgical Music
  • CharlesW
    Surely one would not make the argument the microphone amplification of a choir is replacing the real sound with a fake one.

Normally, no I wouldn't make that argument. There is, however, a newer parish in town that was acoustically designed by a friend of the then pastor. That friend was, I am told, a recording engineer. The place is as dead as a Presbyterian sermon. The choir is amplified, speakers are amplified, and even the organ is run through the building sound system instead of its own speakers. Worst acoustics I have ever encountered. You wouldn't hear that choir in that building without amplification.
  • Chaswjd
    Perhaps if the guitar were large enough . . . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apqDbhxAge4
  • You don't get extra stars in your eternal crown for doing that.

Are you sure, Charles?

Actually (and I'm really not baiting you) it doesn't seem to me that tracker action can reasonably be dismissed so lightly as 'antiquated technology'. An example of antiquated technology might be pneumatic action and its variants, which was a cruel and lumbersome joke even when it was brand spanking 'modern'. Tracker action, on that other hand, remains as fresh and permissive of intimate touch with pipe speech as does the relative actions of pianos and harpsichords - let us hope that no one will decide that these are antiquated and give us an intervening electrical mechanism for the sake of not being antiquated.

Direct electric has the virtue of providing instant speech, but at the expense of control of speech through intimate touch. (Of course you know that.) As I said, I'm really not bating you, but have you never played a tracker and delighted at the intimacy of touch and play which is non-existent to that degree on any other type of action? Something that retains its musical value can surely not be dismissed, with or without a surly wave of the hand, as 'antiquated technology'? Nothing has been invented that, in terms of musical artistry, antiquates it.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Have to disagree, Jackson. Yes, I know trackers are more playable today than they ever were in their heyday because of modern materials, computer assisted design, and current manufacturing technology. I detest being buried in casework and want some distance between myself and the pipes. It is nice to actually hear what the congregation hears - not always a tracker problem. I played a large EP where the console was so close to the pedal division I could barely hear the pipes. All the sound was going out above me. I didn't grow up with trackers and have never really taken to them. Personal preference, I suppose. They seem to me to be like driving a horse-drawn cart instead of a car. If you enjoy trackers, then play on and peace be upon you. I just don't like them and never will.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I know I'm late to the party here, but...

Here are a few additional examples. Some of these the electric guitar is very subtle and doesn't come in until later in the song:
    -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFr6dVTVN2w
    -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxkNj5hcy5E
    -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-P8pUCV5MI

These are not remotely liturgical in nature. Obviously they fail from a traditional perspective. Even from a progressive/contemporary viewpoint they are deeply problematic in that they are performer-oriented and personality-driven.

This is not bad music. We need to good "pop" music with good religious content. But this music has no place in the liturgy.
  • Should it not, with modern technology, be possible to create an electronic action that provides all the advantages of both tracker and direct electric actions?
  • CharlesW
    Should it not, with modern technology, be possible to create an electronic action that provides all the advantages of both tracker and direct electric actions?

Good question. I know Rieger has built some instruments that are playable with either tracker or remote consoles. How they did it, I don't know.

But you know those purists. It doesn't sound the same unless it is played on a tracker from square notes.
  • ...unless it's played...

Meow.
    That's really not terribly collegial.

As for Stephen's question. It is interesting, but seems to me to beg the question: 'what on earth for?' There is nothing wrong with a direct electric action, which has the advantage of making the console placable wherever one wishes.

There is nothing wrong with a tracker action, which gives the player the same intimacy and musicianship with respect to touch as does that of a piano or harpsichord. Who could fault this? Can you just imagine an electronic piano action that puts an electrical relay betwixt the the key and the hammer? What nonsense! Ditto something similar with a harpsichord. What cretinesque foolishness.

The organ, in purely objective terms, is not different. Everything that comes betwixt touch and mechanical response is a subtraction from ideal musicianship, from the artist's bond with his sound source and its production.

I am not castigating other types of action. My attitude towards them is quite liberal - far more liberal and rational than that of tracker's detractors. Some actions trade off one musical advantage for a different one. This is fine. What is irrational is the view held by some that tracker is an inherently obsolete technology that needs at all and any cost to be avoided for something more 'modern'. There are those, of course, who couldn't resist devising 'improvements' simply because, for them, it is fodder for their misplaced creative urges. The artistic-musical value of what is done is secondary to the thrill of doing it.

Getting back to Stephen's question -
    What respective elements of the two systems you mention do you envision being unified in some sort of hybrid? What purely musical advantages would you imagine to result? I, personally, cannot see how a modification of the tracker system by the introduction of electronic elements would be an improvement. For a serious musician the direct communication with his or her sound source and its manipulation is irreplacable in terms of artistry and musicianship in performance. Accommodating such 'interference' is unheard of and would not be tolerated in any other serious music endeavour. Organists alone make trade-offs for the sake of console placement, architectural constraints, technique (or lack thereof), the type (or lack) of schooling they received, and other factors, all of which are secondary to uncompromising musicianship.
  • CharlesW
    ...the view held by some that tracker is an inherently obsolete technology that needs at all and any cost to be 'modernised'.

I wouldn't modernize an historic instrument, even if I find the instrument technologically outdated. On the other hand, if buying a new organ, I wouldn't buy a tracker.
  • Highest paid musician at our parish is a guitarist who would never dream of strumming anything.
  • What I have in mind is an electronic action that would play, sound, and feel almost exactly like a tracker action, but would allow the freedom of pipe vs. console placement of a direct electric action. I suspect such a system would need to be a fully computerized digital control system that provides the ability to give tactile feedback at the keys and has for valve control something more than the usual Wicks immediately fully open/immediately fully closed binary options. Airplanes these days are increasingly using digital control with no mechanical linkage, but tactile feedback and fine grain responsiveness can be rather important for that application, too (and cars are destined to go to such a steering arrangement more than likely).

If I had to guess, those tracker organs with a 2nd remote console probably use something like a set of servo motors to allow the remote console to drive the tracker action while retaining direct linkage for the local console, but it may go so far as having an entire second set of valves that use a direct electric action.

I don't mean to suggest that tracker action has outlived its time. Rather, I think what has outlived its time is the rather simplistic direct electric action. Something more sophisticated is certainly possible, and I suspect if it could be had for a reasonable price it would be desirable. Unfortunately to get there requires quite a bit of engineering, research, development, and design.
  • These are not remotely liturgical in nature. Obviously they fail from a traditional perspective. Even from a progressive/contemporary viewpoint they are deeply problematic in that they are performer-oriented and personality-driven.

By what objective criteria are these songs that way? I contest your assertion that these are performer and personality driven songs. Particularly with No Longer Slaves, which I have used many times for adoration, people pick it right up and the song is written in a way that makes the human voice the primary instrument. These recordings are all made to sell so they have a certain varnish to them that I take off when I am using them for congregational singing.
  • CharlesW
    Unfortunately to get there requires quite a bit of engineering, research, development, and design.

And expense! I suspect that is the driver behind whether or not something new is developed. There are some companies, like Kegg, that have a unique type of electric action, but I haven't really looked into it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    people pick it right up

This is not music that a congregation sings. It is music that an audience sings along to.

I will try to think of a better way to explain this, but I feel like if you can't simply tell the difference between performance music and congregational music, I'm not going to be able to say much to convince you.
  • This is not music that a congregation sings. It is music that an audience sings along to.

I've read every document the Catholic church has produced on music since St. Pius X and have never seen this distinction. Suppose the congregation were singing one of these songs acapella. Would you still make such a distinction, and on what grounds?
  • Adam the Perspicacious is, as is most often (but not always) the case, spot on.
    This is beyond dispute.
    (Nor does he need to 'think of a better way to explain' it.)
  • chonakchonak
    To comment on the songs to which jclangfo alluded:

I started with the Audrey Assad song. The vocal is plainly designed for a solo voice. You can tell by its irregular use of rhythm.

I really found Ms. Assad's song repellent from the first moment, since it starts with a fake-heartbeat sound, a nerve-wracking, manipulative sound effect. If I had been playing the song off a CD, I would have smashed it with a hammer.

Moving on to another selection, "No Longer Slaves", I cannot help noticing the very breathy voice of the soloist; that is an unhealthy approach to singing, and no one should present that bad technique in public as a model for the congregation. I recommend all these breathy singers get in touch with a voice teacher who specializes in the recovery of damaged voices so that they can learn to sing in a less tense and irritating way before they disable themselves.

Again, a song designed for a soloist. Both this song and the Assad song had lyrics which were deeply personal and confessional. That's not what congregational singing is about. That's not what the liturgy is about. We don't go to Mass to put intense attention on our personal struggles. It is much more spiritually healthy to put our attention on God for the most part. C.S. Lewis put it well when he said that, if one had to think of oneself at all in church, it was best to think of oneself as "a small, dirty object."

Then there is the Chris Tomlin song, which, despite all the good will in the world, has so many of the same dodgy aspects. Again, the cheap heartbeat effect in the electronic percussion, again an irregular vocal line, again a tense voice.

Two tips:

(1) Great hymns can be sung by the voice alone. A song that basically cannot be performed effectively without instruments is really not a congregational hymn.

(2) A good example of a song designed for a congregation is "O God, Our Help In Ages Past". With its very straightforward and simple rhythm it's a song that the dads can sing. Use that as a metric: if the dads can sing it, everyone will sing it. If the rhythm is too odd, they can't sing it. If the tune is too strange, they don't sing it. If the lyrics are about some snowflake's precious feelings, then they won't even want to sing it. The dads have a good instinct that way. So often I hear some song and think, O good Heavens, nobody who owns a Y chromosome would willingly sing that in public. And they don't.

---
    But I can point to a tasteful use of guitar in church: when I used to visit a Trappist monastery a few hundred miles from here, a monk used to play a modest prelude on the guitar before the morning Mass. It worked in that very quiet setting, but might not have the same effect elsewhere.
  • francis
    electric guitar verses organ? no contest. ditch the guitar-perhaps a Pete Townsend end of concert demolition?
  • Chaswjd
    This is perhaps an example of what the original poster was looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHsp2ZVRGE

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG3SW5YUpkQ
  • Chonak, I posted those youtube links specifically in request to examples of how to use a guitar in a liturgically appropriate manner. I otherwise made no comment on the appropriateness of the songs. I would appreciate your opinion on the guitar work in them. Some of your criticisms I agree with and others I do not.

I started with the Audrey Assad song. The vocal is plainly designed for a solo voice. You can tell by its irregular use of rhythm.

I think you are underestimating the ability of congregations to deal with difficult rhythms. You cited O God, Our Help In Ages Past as more rhythmically appropriate. To my personal taste, the rhythm of this hymn is simple to an excess. It feels wooden to me. Making such a rule would have the effect of dumbing down the music we put in front of congregations. Now, I agree that we should not play songs that can't be sung. I simply disagree with your opinion on where the line is. I think rhythms should feel natural and naturally fit the text. I know from personal experience that congregations can follow the first two of the songs I posted; the third song I have never tried.

I really found Ms. Assad's song repellent from the first moment, since it starts with a fake-heartbeat sound, a nerve-wracking, manipulative sound effect

Did we listen to the same song? I don't hear any other instruments or sound effects additional to the piano until 0:37 on the recording. Here is the recording I am pointing to, in case we have crossed our signals: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFr6dVTVN2w

"No Longer Slaves", I cannot help noticing the very breathy voice of the soloist

That's a legitimate criticism. I expect the people who sing for me to use proper technique. Back to the previous artist, Audrey Assad, she was a vocal technique train wreck when she was a new artist and I told my singers never to sing like her. She's really cleaned her technique up and is now someone I could point to as a role model. I emphasize that I posted this selection for the guitar playing and not the singing.

Again, a song designed for a soloist

I've led this song with congregations many times, and it lends itself extremely well to congregational singing.

Both this song and the Assad song had lyrics which were deeply personal and confessional. That's not what congregational singing is about. That's not what the liturgy is about. We don't go to Mass to put intense attention on our personal struggles. It is much more spiritually healthy to put our attention on God for the most part.

These songs all have lyrics that are addressed to God. You Speak is written about the following quote from Mother Theresa: "“In the silence of the heart God speaks. If you face God in prayer and silence, God will speak to you. Then you will know that you are nothing. It is only when you realize your nothingness, your emptiness, that God can fill you with Himself. Souls of prayer are souls of great silence.” No Longer Slaves is written around Galatians 4:7 "So you are no longer a slave, but God's child; and since you are his child, God has made you also an heir." He Shall Reign Forevermore is taken from the lyrics to Handel's Messiah and from the old hymn In the Bleak Midwinter.

I disagree with your characterizations of these songs as about being about personal struggles rather than prayers addressed to God. I agree with you that we should not have songs that are all about us or our struggles - this is why I hate All Our Welcome and Go Make a Difference - they talk about us with little mention of God. I disagree with your assessment that the songs I posted are like this.

Again, the cheap heartbeat effect in the electronic percussion

I disagree with your assessment of this being a cheap heartbeat effect and this being electronic percussion. First, you can clearly see that it is a real drumset at 1:37 in the video. If you want to complain about electronics, I'm pretty sure the violin sound is coming from a backing track. You can barely even hear the drums except in verse two. I'd like to hear some specifics about what problems you have with the drums on this.

Finally, recognize that at least the first two songs have a varnish on them designed to sell records. If you don't like how one of these songs uses, say, the drums, simply don't use drums for your congregation. Most of the time, I play these songs with just the piano and they work very well.

Great hymns can be sung by the voice alone. A song that basically cannot be performed effectively without instruments is really not a congregational hymn.

I largely agree with that. I make a point to end many of the songs I play acapella. Mighty to Save by Hillsong and Lord I Need You by Matt Maher have particuarly compelling melodies that congregations sing lustilly when the instruments drop out.

• Thanked by 2MarkS CharlesW
  • MarkS
    As a soccer player, I keep imagining it is a yellow card, and I've been waiting to see the red card given!
  • Hmmm.
    Whatever a yellow soccer card is, this most likely isn't it!
  • MarkS
    Whatever a yellow soccer card is

Well, to fill in this sadly neglected part of your otherwise expansive body of knowledge:

A yellow card is given in soccer (football for those that prefer!) for a foul that merits an official warning. A red card is given after a player has already received a yellow card, or if the foul or infraction is grievous enough to warrant a 'straight red card,' and results in the ejection of the player.
  • Ha!
    Thanks, Mark, for filling in this lacuna in my portion of knowledge.
    Since you mention it, it occurs to me that
    yellow and red, when commixed, produce the tincture of orange.
    Perhaps this would begin in some small way to reveal the sentiment behind the yellow square, the reward of gravely infelicitious offerings.
    Thanked by 2MarkS CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    Fifty shades of orange.
  • francis
    three red cards are awarded to the electric guitar used in the liturgy
  • CharlesW
    Orange is the new black.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    And nobody mentioned a green card?

Thanked by 2MarkS CharlesW
  • Ha! So now we have a
    green card?

What a card Chuck is!
  • I petition that the mods clear off the small talk and restore this thread to academic discussion.
  • CharlesW
    We love small talk, and getting off-topic. They are often the only redemption for boring and tedious threads. People who are new to this forum don't seem to realize it is unlikely they will post topics we haven't covered to death multiple times.

The entire thread started with what seems to be a faulty premise - I can do whatever music I happen to like for the liturgy using any instruments that please me. Church music is not about doing what appeals to you or your congregation, although I will be the first to admit some concessions and work-arounds are possible. For example, I detest "Amazing Grace," but program it 3 or 4 times a year for those in the congregation, even friends, who somehow think it has merit. It probably is a Calvinistic interpretation of grace and not consistent with Catholic teachings. However, the earth doesn't collapse in a cloud of dust and fire because of it.

It amazes me that many musicians work harder at getting around church regulations on liturgical music, than they would ever work following them.
  • MarkS
    jclangfo—

You seem to be an intelligent and well-meaning person. I am a relative newcomer here, but I would suggest you take the time to explore this site, and learn about the mission of the organization. Read, for instance, this: http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/smfaq.pdf
    Go through some of the back issues of the organization's journal, 'Sacred Music,' and peruse some of the older threads. You will find that this is an organization dedicated to the proposition that the introduction of 'pop music'-styled songs with religious/quasi-sacred texts in the wake of Vatican II was a mistake not actually justified by the work of the Council itself, and does not constitute true sacred music, and that it is the mission of the CMAA to promote true sacred music, i. e. traditional Gregorian chant and polyphony, and music flowing from and belonging to that great tradition (which is really the ultimate source of all Western art music).

So, if I may take it upon myself, this is not the place to attempt to argue that certain secular-style religious songs have a place in sacred liturgy. It is, as my mother would say, 'barking up the wrong tree.' Chonak has offered some reasoned responses; your reply suggests that you lack the context to understand his reasons. So by all means do some reading!

I hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • a_f_hawkins
    The confusion about the word liturgy is reflected in the wikipedia article on the topic it starts by saying
    However, a daily activity such as the Muslim salah and Jewish synagogue services would be ritual, but not liturgy. If the Temple were re-established, the ritual undertaken by the Judaic priesthood within the Temple would be liturgy.
    and then goes on to describe both of these as liturgy!
    This forum is not exclusively focussed on Catholic Liturgy, but most participants would agree to use the word in this sense, and not more broadly. This is in no way to denigrate other religious activities, or other religious music. I imagine most members engage in many religious activities, some involving music, for their own spiritual benefit.
  • It probably is a Calvinistic interpretation of grace and not consistent with Catholic teachings.

I have the honor of agreeing with Mr. Charles W for the first time in a long time.

(Now, why did he have to say that he also programs it for liturgy, acknowledging that it is inconsistent with Catholic teaching?)
  • CharlesW
    (Now, why did he have to say that he also programs it for liturgy, acknowledging that it is inconsistent with Catholic teaching?)

At most, 3 to 4 times a year, and at communion. No one but the choir or cantor sings at communion. It buys me a lot of space to do the music I really want to do.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    O God, Our Help In Ages Past... is simple to an excess. It feels wooden to me... dumbing down the music we put in front of congregations.
    Touché, jclangfo!
  • Charles,

If it is contrary to Catholic doctrine, why would you give it any place in the Catholic worship of Almighty God?
  • St Anne?
    Wooden?
    Dumbing down?
    What a grievous misfortune that one should have such thoughts about one of the noblest of tunes and texts.
    Even worse that he or she would presume to infect others with them.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • MarkS
    I rise in support of St. Anne. If it is not truly experienced as among the most moving of hymns, may I respectfully suggest that we're doing it wrong?
    https://youtu.be/asrwlIxLeko?t=30s
    Okay, the descant might be a little much for most of us. But, otherwise there it is!
  • The entire thread started with what seems to be a faulty premise - I can do whatever music I happen to like for the liturgy using any instruments that please me. Church music is not about doing what appeals to you or your congregation, although I will be the first to admit some concessions and work-arounds are possible. For example, I detest "Amazing Grace," but program it 3 or 4 times a year for those in the congregation, even friends, who somehow think it has merit. It probably is a Calvinistic interpretation of grace and not consistent with Catholic teachings. However, the earth doesn't collapse in a cloud of dust and fire because of it.

It amazes me that many musicians work harder at getting around church regulations on liturgical music, than they would ever work following them.

I reject that premise. I invite you to re-read the blog post I wrote the base this discussion on. http://contemporaryorthodoxy.weebly.com/blog/guitar-in-liturgical-music In the post, I made this claim:

Paragraph 63 continues: "In permitting and using musical instruments, the culture and traditions of individual peoples must be taken into account. However, those instruments which are, by common opinion and use, suitable for secular music only, are to be altogether prohibited from every liturgical celebration and from popular devotions." What are the culture and traditions of the American people? I note the the guitar is common to nearly every style of folk music in the United States, from African Spirituals, to Appalachian folk, to Gospel. The use of guitar in music is deeply ingrained in the fabric of our culture and as such we should be seeking to harmonize its use with the liturgy. But what if the guitar is "by common opinion and use, suitable for secular music only"? I answer that it is not. The traditionalist seeking to eliminate the guitar has a lot of ground to cover in establishing that the general population of Catholics in our country considers the guitar "suitable for secular music only" in light of its widespread usage in Catholic parishes. Note that "it's obvious to me personally that it doesn't belong" reflects your personal subjective opinions and says nothing about the general population. Further, such an argument flies in the face of the existence of Gospel music which has been using the guitar for a sacred purpose for over 100 years. I suggest rather that this paragraph is referring to harmonicas, kazoos, and accordions (joke instruments in our culture, by and large) and the sort of techno/computer synthesized instrumentation that accompanies pop music and is in fact considered by everyone to be suitable for entertainment purposes only. As a final note, the judgement of which instruments are "suitable for secular music only" is to be made by the local bishops' conference, which in our country has judged in their favor.

So, I very clearly do not think that "I can do whatever music I happen to like for the liturgy using any instruments that please me." We have a difference in opinion as to what the liturgical documents allow and what musical expressions in our personal judgement meet the needs of the liturgy.

I maintain that the documents of the church clearly allow some form of contemporary music, particuarly Musicam Sacram paragraph 61:
    61. Adapting sacred music for those regions which possess a musical tradition of their own, especially mission areas,[42] will require a very specialized preparation by the experts. It will be a question in fact of how to harmonize the sense of the sacred with the spirit, traditions and characteristic expressions proper to each of these peoples. Those who work in this field should have a sufficient knowledge both of the liturgy and musical tradition of the Church, and of the language, popular songs and other characteristic expressions of the people for whose benefit they are working.

Ultimately, I think you are making a post-modern argument: that contrary to universal legislation of the church and affirmation from the local bishop's conference, that your personal taste in liturgical music should be enforced. I emphasize that in support of the use of chant and polyphony; I am merely arguing against the onlyist position.

• You seem to be an intelligent and well-meaning person.

Thanks!

I would suggest you take the time to explore this site, and learn about the mission of the organization. Read, for instance, this: http://media.musicasacra.com/pdf/smfaq.pdf

I've been following this organization and the arguments they are making about liturgical music for a long time, since I heard Jeffrey Tucker on Catholic Answers. I've spent a long time reading Musicam Sacram over and over again, and various commentaries on it. I've read your FAQ sheet many times. It's a very helpful and informative document. It's been particuarly helpful in pointing me to source documents on liturgical legislation and explaining it's meaning. In some places I disagree with the interpretation of said documents or with some commentary that appears without citation. If you are interested in my thoughts, you can send me a private message.

You will find that this is an organization dedicated to the proposition that the introduction of 'pop music'-styled songs with religious/quasi-sacred texts in the wake of Vatican II was a mistake not actually justified by the work of the Council itself, and does not constitute true sacred music, and that it is the mission of the CMAA to promote true sacred music, i. e. traditional Gregorian chant and polyphony, and music flowing from and belonging to that great tradition (which is really the ultimate source of all Western art music).

So, if I may take it upon myself, this is not the place to attempt to argue that certain secular-style religious songs have a place in sacred liturgy. It is, as my mother would say, 'barking up the wrong tree.' Chonak has offered some reasoned responses; your reply suggests that you lack the context to understand his reasons. So by all means do some reading!

I'm fully aware of the purpose of this organization. I'm posting here for several reasons. First, this is the only message board I am aware of devoted to liturgical music and I've gotten the impression that at least some people on here have some involvement with contemporary music. I also understand the opinions of the majority on this board and am expecting disagreement with my opinions. This gets to my second reason for posting, which is that I think the biggest problem with the internet is that people who disagree with each other tend to avoid each other and hang out in places where everyone agrees with them. I am thankful that the mods on this board have allowed me to stay so far. My final reason for posting is that I love intellectual debate which you can only have with people who disagree with you!

In reference to "pop music styled songs" I am attempting to make a distinction between the setting of religious words to pop music (both you and I would be scandalized by religious lyrics to a Katy Perry song in Mass) and what Musicam Sacram paragraph 61 refers to in harmonizing sacred music with the musical traditions of the local people.

Is it in fact the position of CMAA that true sacred music is only Gregorian Chant and polyphony? If that were really the case, I think Sacrosanctum Concilium paragraph 116 would read a little differently:

116. The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of place in liturgical services.

But other kinds of sacred music, especially polyphony, are by no means excluded from liturgical celebrations, so long as they accord with the spirit of the liturgical action, as laid down in Art. 30.

First, the onlyist position is weakened by the phrase "all things being equal." Culture makes all things sometimes not be equal. Many of us on this forum would recognize that nearly all of Latin America uses the guitar for its sacred music do to how that music is inculturated for them. Yet, we hesitate to recognize how American genres of music could be incultured. I suggest that such inculturation is the thrust of Musicam Sacram paragraph 61, referenced in my previous post.

Second, "but other kinds of sacred music, especially polyphony, are by no means excluded...." would simply read "but polyphony is by no means excluded" if the onlyist position were correct.

Hence, it is not suprising that Musicam Sacram included even "sacred popular music" in the genre of sacred music:

4 (b). The following come under the title of sacred music here: Gregorian chant, sacred polyphony in its various forms both ancient and modern, sacred music for the organ and other approved instruments, and sacred popular music, be it liturgical or simply religious.

So in summary, I expect to be very far in the minority on this forum, but I hope I can offer the sort of outsider perspective that can prevent groupthink. I'm also hoping for some good debates and discussions. I hope you let me stay around!
  • I rise in support of St. Anne. If it is not truly experienced as among the most moving of hymns, may I respectfully suggest that we're doing it wrong?
    https://youtu.be/asrwlIxLeko?t=30s

Here's why I don't like this song and used the word wooden to describe it. This song is written in 4/4 and every single word or syllable occurs on the beat. I think this lacks complexity and variety. Most hymns keep it interesting by having some words that are held for multiple beats or occur in between beats (if counting 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and, some words would occur on the "and").

So I don't personally like it, but I recognize that other people do. What I objected to what not really this song but the suggestion that this level of rhythmic simplicity is what is required for a congregation to be able to sing - if so, most liturgical music of any genre would be out the window.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thread digression alert:
    @MJO, Kathy or other hymn scholars: Is there any evidence or truth to the contention that the association of ST ANNE/OGOHAP with the Schism Act suppressing all liturgical rites save CoE's had, as one consequence, the hymn's use as an anthem for Orangemen's military adventures in Ireland?
    Honest question.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Here's why I don't like this song and used the word wooden to describe it. This song is written in 4/4 and every single word or syllable occurs on the beat. I think this lacks complexity and variety.

jcl,
    I follow your reasoning, but as in all things-not all of such exemplary hymns results in "word wooden" syndrome. One that comes to mind is FINLANDIA/Be still my soul. (Tho' I acknowledge many find this hymn lacking.)
  • Well, Melo -
    I must admit that I am ignorant of this hymn's asserted associations as you enumerate them. Were they true, I could not alter them, but only confess that no sentiments which might be implied by them are on anyone's mind when he or she sings it. Pasting St Anne on the Orangemen would be rather like pasting Austria on the Nazis. Some things have a transcendent character, and I should think that St Anne and Austria are two of them. And, after all, Schmucke dich's Lutheran provenance does not prevent it from being an excruciatingly Catholic eucharistic hymn, mystical imagery and all. (In such a vein one could, of course, go on.... and on.)

As for that 'wooden' business - this, if and when it is manifest, lies, as any artist can attest, in the performance, not inherently in the music (except in the case of Finlandia, which you mention - certainly one of the most maudlin tunes ever conceived). Don't we know that people who are opposed to chant or anything else will present it in a most studiedly wooden and unmusical a fashion in order to bolster their own irrational attitudes, defenseless by any objective argument or logic, in the minds of others?

As for our honourable interlocutor - in spite of his seeming honest sincerity (except when he is informing others that their arguments are ridiculous, etc.) and averred study of musical documentation, it seems from what he or she has said that he has wandered into this camp for the sole purpose of stirring up a hornet's nest for the sake of what he considers 'intellectual debate', of which championship at mass of electrical 'guitars' and popular, not liturgical, religious songs (even songs having patently inferior literary value!, not even actual ritual texts) is the direct opposite.
  • chonakchonak
    I assume you're writing from the United States, jcl, so I would challenge the fittingness of using models of "inculturation" at all here: they are intended for missionary settings in which the Gospel is entering for the first time. In that setting it is fitting to appropriate the existing religious music forms of a non-Christian people, if they can also be applied to express the values of Catholic Christian worship.

That's just not the situation here. We all know that Christianity has been in this country for over 500 years, and the church in the U.S. graduated out of "mission" status quite a while back. Christianity came with musical traditions from Europe: Catholic traditions in the southeast and southwest; Protestant traditions in the northeast -- and many of the latter were really of Catholic origin too.

"O God our help in ages past" is actually a fine example of that. While it came from Protestant New Englanders, it fits into the format of the Catholic hymn tradition of the Liturgy of the Hours: a tremendous quantity of strophic hymns in regular meters, one note per syllable (most of the time) and no syncopation. Think of chant hymns adapted to English like "Creator of the Stars of Night" or "Sing, my tongue, the Saviour's glory". Some of those hymn texts were put into English and set to different tunes: e.g., "Come Holy Ghost", "At the Lamb's high feast". (As an aside: yes, the music of the Office is different from the music of the Mass in certain ways, and we can get into that distinction too.)

Let's not kid ourselves: P&W songs are based on forms of entertainment music. There's nothing wrong with entertainment per se, but it is intrinsically non-sacred. P&W imitates various genres of commercial pop songs: rock anthems, boyfriend songs, dance songs, TV themes, advertising jingles. Even if you were using an inculturation model: those are not the religious music forms of any existing culture here. And it's not hard to recognize the structural elements P&W songs often take from their commercial counterparts: when you hear a P&W song drop the instruments out after two verses and bring them back, you know you are hearing a "breakdown", a common structural element in commercial entertainment-oriented pop songs.

If one were to strip out the instruments completely from a four-minute soloistic, irregular P&W rock song, the result would be kind of ridiculous.

But classic congregational hymns can be performed completely a cappella. While I'm not a fan of this particular recording, it shows that "O God our help..." can be done in its entirety with no instrumentation.
    https://youtu.be/hRaqvt48RYM

A performance like that is not far from the chant tradition of the Church:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiAk1ssEj3Q
  • Beautifully and smartly put, Chonak!

(I only wish that you had provided a performance of St Anne by Kings or some such. The one you have given, which you do admit to not being a fan of, is rather awful.)
  • While I'm not a fan of this particular recording, it shows that "O God our help..." can be done in its entirety with no instrumentation.
    Ironically these choristers styled studio musicians were probably listening to General MIDI piano in the headphones while singing.