PBC 2nd ed., revised version
  • I am preparing a revised version of the 2nd edition of The Parish Book of Chant, mainly to incorporate the 2013 decree regarding the addition of St. Joseph to Eucharistic Prayers II, III, and IV, but also to correct some spacing issues and other minor errors.

I would ask those who use the book, and who may have been collecting your own errata sheet, please let me know any problems you have found. You may post them here, or email me directly (canticnov@aol.com). I appreciate your help.

Richard Rice
  • English translations of Latin hymns that can be sung would be a very great step forward in an otherwise fine book. While I own, value, and commend this book as a resource, I would never use any book in choir stalls or pews that brazenly put forth prose translations of verse hymnody. One just might want to sing them sometime in English as well as in Latin - and it isn't as though there weren't a goodly offering of fine verse translations from which to choose.
    Thanked by 2canadash Viola
  • That kind of sounds like a 3rd ed.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • PBC was designed as a resource for Latin chant, not English adaptations. I'm sorry if you found that editorial choice "brazen", which was not our intention.
  • francis
    Don't include the English. This is the perfect book for the Roman Rite Latin Mass in all its resplendent glory. English would be a compromise.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I dunno, I like the English translation below. It helps. Besides, it's nice to know what the words we are chanting mean. (Not everyone is fluent in Church Latin.)
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I agree: it's not meant to be a sung translation, but a way to understand the sung Latin.

Speaking of which, my young singers were wondering whether Ave Regina Caelorum perhaps ought to be rendered Hail Queen of the Heavens instead of ...Heaven.
  • KyleM18
    The sung translation would be good in a separate book, or as a companion edition, but I don't believe that it is necessary in this particular book. I don't see any errors, but I haven't used the book enough...
  • francis
    I also like the book because it is light. English would double its size. If you want an English hymnal there are plenty to choose from.
  • We needn't continue this particular discussion. I am not considering Mr. Osborn's suggestion. I am merely looking for corrections to the edition as it stands. Thanks.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Forget the English...Latin is the way. Thanks Richard for your hard work. I have a few typos I will try to forward.

Love the book. Use it everyday.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    My only comment would be to please index the PDF version again so as to quickly access pages from the table of contents.

Just out of curiosity, will the music numbers and page numbers remain the same as the current printing? That would be ideal.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Yes, the numbering will stay the same. I don't have access to the PDF, and wouldn't know how to add the index. Perhaps the site manager could help.
  • chonakchonak
    Hi, Richard. I can add bookmarks to a PDF file if that's useful. When you're ready with the updated version, let me know.
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 CHGiffen
  • Everyone here has seemed to forget that Jackson, working within the Ordinariate doesn't have to run, screaming, from execrable vernacular translations.
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • BruceL
    Hate to bump this (perhaps too) late: for the Alleluias, I think it might be good (space permitting) to put the more elaborate psalm/GP tones in. As I recall, it's just the simple ones now, which sounds a little stark to me after the Gregorian Alleluia.