Interesting post from an Anglican Group - Part 1
  • I've always been impressed with Karl's comments -

“Introducing” new hymns has a second and equally-important process: “solidifying” new hymns until they become “familiar hymns.” This process might well take the form of singing a new hymn for several weeks in a row and to be very intentional about it, including explaining the value of such repetition to the people. After three or four weeks of weekly use, begin to sing it every other week for perhaps a month and then every third week for several months. Most of us do not live in parishes such as St. Mark’s, Philadelphia!

How long it takes for the people to learn a new hymn well enough for it become a “familiar hymn” depends on so many factors:

1. the presence or absence of a choir which the people in the congregation can HEAR with sufficient clarity for the choir actually to be helpful to the congregants

2. the “presence” of the organ tone amongst the people in the pews, a matter of placement of the organ pipes relative to the people but also of the acoustical character of the building to carry the organ tone in lively manner but without too much echo

3. the nature of the congregants, whether largely “senior citizens” or whether younger or middle-aged persons who have a mind-set in favor of congregational singing, as opposed to a mindset based on “being sung to” in church. (The “entertainment evangelism” claims and methods of Fuller Theological Seminary et al of some decade ago makes those folks’ attitudes and procedures about congregational singing difficult, despite Fuller’s claims to the contrary, much as does the presence of a “song-leader” on the microphone at the front of the church and with the organ and organist in the rear gallery. On this last, see Day, Thomas, Why Catholics Can’t Sing.)

4. the ability and intention of the organist to play the hymns to the best-possible advantage for persons learning new hymns in church. (This is so long and complex a topic, that I don’t even wish to BEGIN the discussion!! )

5. the presence of persons, both children and adults in the congregation who have first learned the new hymn as part of the parish’s Christian Education program and thus help to “make it go” when it gets introduced and “rehearsed” for months in worship. The absence of such pre-teaching makes the teaching process in worship much more challenging.

6 the apparent attitude of the clergy toward hymn singing in general, as made evident by what they do to provide a positive example toward the importance of hymn singing.

7. the cultural “attitude” and tradition in the parish regarding hymn singing. In some parishes, hymn singing is implicitly or even subconsciously understood as something for the choir to do and to which one might dare to sing along. (Think here of the old famous story of J. Varley Roberts at Magdelen College Chapel, Oxford) The opposite of this is the strong and very basic assumption current or at least until recent years among Pennsylvania Mennonites that EVERYONE learns to sing his voice part in the hymns, which were sung a cappella in the tradiition of Lowell Mason. (Sadly enough, some Mennonite congregations have now lost this assumption.) I know Anglicans who would sing “The Star-Spangled Banner” at every ball game they attend but who “like” to listen to others doing the singing in church while they carry on some level of private/public meditation; they benefit by others’ singing but do not return the favor to those others and carry on something of a “high church” version of “entertainment evangelism,” ala Fuller Theological Seminary. Once again: think of the stories about J. Varley Roberts. (An interesting non-musical version of this problem: an amazingly strong “tradition” at some places of non-communing attendance at Mass in Roman Catholic chucrhes.)

In my “old age” I serve a small ECUSA parish with a small, somewhat nice pipe organ, no choir, very lovely people in many regards but relatively few persons under the age of 50, persons who do love the Lord and the Church deeply, many of them with education no further than high school and some not even that much. A Sunday attendance of 40 people is a pretty good Sunday for this parish. Many of them are converts to the Anglican faith but know and “feel” little of those well-honed attitudes and practices that have distinguished the Anglican tradition for years, at least in USA. The parish leaders often stand at the rear of the center aisle and talk about anything at all, not least of it about Penn State football, before worship begins. Other sit in the pews “carrying on” almost like they were at a basketball game. This past Christmas Eve a year ago, the noise got so bad before the processional hymn that I simply stopped playing the prelude music I’d prepared and no one seemed to notice!!

In a cultural and spiritual environment like this, teaching a new hymn is more difficult than in most other places, and I’ve tended to limit new hymns to two a year, almost always teaching a tune which can be gainfully used throughout much of the year, perhaps in some cases even using other words to a tune which has the same metre, once that tune is familiar enough to sing it by memory while looking at the words of the intended text elsewhere in the hymnal. (It’s actually a good way to help solidify a tune that is becoming familiar.) I find no reason to teach new Advent or Christmas or Easter hymns, given how we have a hard time covering the ones we already know in each of those seasons. So the “challenge” of learning new hymns in such a situation yields best results when the tune can be used throughout most of the year.

This all gets harder if you have an organ built in the ”organ reform movement” manner in which the pitches from about f below middle c to f above middle c — or something close to this range — are made to sound a bit more “pronounce” than pitches higher or lower so as to bring out the inner voices in contrapuntal music — think Bach. That is deadly for clarity of melody line in hymn playing!!! Organists too seldom have much of an idea what and how the people hear of the organ tone and thus why the organ tones does not encourage learning a new hymn tune. And if you have an organist who simply cannot master the techniques required to play the melody louder on one manual, the alto and tenor voices softer in the left hand, and the bass part in the pedals with rock-steady rhythmic life AND to use stops so as to accentuate the melody, then once again learning new hymns is made more difficult by an organ built more for playing Bach fugues than Anglican hymns or Lowell Mason-type hymns, etc. Oh, to play an E & G G Hook tracker with “treble ascendency.”

• Conclusion - Part 2

While you’re introducing new hymns, one should ponder carefully the issue as to what is worthy of introducing! Why teach bad hymns? (There ARE such, you know!) At the same time, however you get it done, try to teach and USE hymns that people really know and like to sing, so that you maintain the people’s confidence in your leadership perceptions and skills sufficient to be willing, on occasion, to learn a new hymn of particular challenge. My most recent two such "teaching hymns,” 1. With One Voice 811 with the refrain ‘Be not afraid, I go before you always….", a St. Louis Jesuit “spiritual song” requested by a parish leader 2. the “Vineyard Haven” tune, which I consider one of the finest hymn tunes of the 20th century, along with “Michael” and ”Earth and All Stars.” It has taken almost a YEAR for the good folk of the little parish I serve to become familiar with “Vineyard Haven,” but we sang it yesterday and with GREAT FERVOR. I”m not sure that hymn tunes get much better than that one!! (You are welcome to disagree, and, we’ll be friends.)

Ponder this comment by Dr. Paul Westermeyer, sometime president of the Hymn Society of the United States and Canada, at another time and for some years the editor of the society’s quarterlyThe Hymn, and now a retired Lutheran seminary church music professor: that congregational singing is “mass, unrehearsed singing.” Thus, its support and fine accomplishment has a set of leadership needs all its own, needs which to a degree vary according to the theology and spirituality of the ecclesial tradition at hand. Mennonites sing hymns according to their sense of all that pertains to their faith in public worship; Lutherans sing — or should sing - in vastly different manner. The Anglican tradition has yet another underlying basis for congregational singing, though in little parishes like the one I serve, the congregational singing functions almost more like Methodism or Lutheranism than like traditional Anglicanism with the trained choir almost invariably present in the “finest moments” of her public liturgical life. I do suspect, however, that more and more ECUSA parishes are “losing” their intentional and unique Anglican ways in worship. (Remember the 1954 book by Everertt Titcomb, Ânglican Waysˆ?) In some situations, as with the parish I serve, some of those old assumptions have become rather invalid in today’s cultural milieu; yet, somehow and often subtly, certain assumptions remain under the surface. That can be a problem.

Implicit in this discussion is the assumption that we are working from an official hymnal that is in the pews and which can become the basis of the kind of on-going teaching, review and gradual acculturation process I’ve described above. A possible future in the Episcopal Church without an established hymnal would severely damage, if not utterly invalidate this discussion. For now, a discussion has arisng about various choices regarding “up-dating” the prayer book, the likes of which ought to arise as well about the hymnal. It might not be a bad time to begin making the point about the value of BOOKS with HARD COVERS on them, both the prayer book and the hymnal, if we truly wish to strength and preserve real catholicity in the Church.

My apologies to any who think I’ve “gone on” too long here.

Karl E. Moyer
    Lancaster PA
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Lots of food for thought. Thanks for posting, Noel!
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • MarkS
    A couple of other ideas re: introducing new hymns:

1) Have the choir (if there be such!) first sing the hymn as an anthem at the Offertory or at Communion, if appropriate.

2) Keep the hymn or chant tune in the congregations ears by playing preludes and postludes based on it, or by improvising on the tune during the service, when appropriate.

Regarding use of the organ to lead hymns: I record every service from down near the chancel steps (organ in typically West end loft placement) so that I can evaluate exactly how each registration sounds with respect to the voices, and determine what the congregation responds to well, and what they don't (i. e., registration changes, soloing out melody in soprano or tenor, varying introductions, interludes, modulations, reharmonizations etc...), and I recommend this to those who may not currently do so—it has been an important learning tool. We try to present each hymn differently, to keep the hymn singing as fresh as possible.

Our liturgies are enriched by having a large and constantly growing repertoire of hymns to draw from!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen a_f_hawkins
  • There is some varying genuine subjective and objective value in many of the points that Noel makes. This is a complex topic because attitudes toward and histories of hymn singing are widely divergent. What seems necessary as a teaching process in one area may be unnecessary in another because of varying congregational attitudes and experience - not to mention the calibre of musician-paedagogues on any given staff. One does well sensitively to assess the abilities and attitudes of his congregation and proceed accordingly. (And, about those 'abilities' and 'attitudes' - the real problem in most cases will by a long shot be the latter.)

I shant say more on this. I think that most here can imagine readily that my life's experience and where I am now would leave me really scratching my head at what possible problem there could be to learning new hymns. One just does it. Whatever hymn is listed in the service folder one just turns to it, listens to it, and sings it. That's all. If it's a new one he sings it well after three or four stanzas. It will only be sung on one Sunday because that's the Sunday to which it is appropriate - meaning that one knows that it's there for a reason and one will wisely profit from its content. Hymn singing of any and all hymns, familiar and rarely sung, is, at you know where, robust.

That such attitudes have not been systematically cultivated in the Catholic Church is a calumny. On the one hand, 'participation' has been god for the last fifty years, yet we are still coddling people like rather challenged children to get them to participate in singing more than a handful of hymns with a modicum of confidence. This is all wrong, totally, absolutely, utterly wrong - and it is the institution's fault, the institution that cultivates congregational ineptitude and then tells it's people that 'Catholics can't (fill in the blank)'. Expect more, insist on it, and you will get it.

So - I said more than I intended to.
    If hymn singing and hymn learning is a challenge in anyone's situation Noel's and Mark's suggestions are spot on!

But do work on, cultivate, a more genuinely receptive and positive attitude.
    This can will make all the proverbial difference in the world.
    Where I grew up learning a new hymn (both text-theme and tune) was fun, something one looked forward to, an honour, something one felt good about - a feather in one's cap and a goodly lesson learnt from the new text.