I suppose that President Obama...
  • ...must feel like a good many outgoing DoM's.

This post is not about your politics: have you ever been "Trump-ed" by your pastor or successor? How do you deal with watching your work undone in an instant?
  • The Ignatian Option: pray for fifteen minutes, then carry on. (At another parish, if you're lucky.)
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Spriggo
  • Scott_WScott_W
    I've been blessed (not as a DoM, but as choir member) in that most transitions I've witnessed have been for the better. The only downer was at my EF Mass when our amazingly talented director and 1st rate organist who was moved on to pursue graduate work. The EF continues as far as I know (I moved as well) by very faithful priests, but the music isn't what it once was. Thankfully, while I've seen plenty of awful rainstick-and-djembe choirs, I've never seen a good music program devolve to one.
  • djembe?
  • Kathy
    I was reversed at first, rather disastrously, so when that situation self-destructed after a year, my work was vindicated in the end, and there was/is a new Trump in town who is everything I could wish for my old beloved parish.

Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Scott_WScott_W
    djembe?

This. One of the more recent fads in reducing liturgical music to trivial mush:

• Richard MixRichard Mix
    We've all heard awful choirs, but having heard our Swahili guest congregation raise the roof with a 4-part ordinary last Sunday (every single person at the Mass came early to rehearse) I'd say one person's recent fad might be another's venerable tradition.
  • eft94530eft94530
    recent fad might be another's venerable tradition.

And the music was composed in what year?
  • Liam
    Well, canonical styles of improvisation can be a venerable tradition. Not all traditions involve something written down.
  • Venerable tradition indeed! -
    It's not widely appreciated, but improvised polyphony, of the sort it would take our average good choir weeks or months to learn from the printed page, was commonplace in the late mediaeval, renaissance, and early baroque. The composer and the printed page as demi-gods, and the concomitant social forgetment of improvised music, are, as I think most here know, rather a modern phenomenon.

Though some others here can, I think, point to improvised group singing as it still flourishes in certain evangelical traditions, the nether regions of the Alleghenies, and other such 'folk' societies.

(All this is not off-topic, for it concerns the trumping of venerable traditions by the tramping of that tireless modernity which, from age to age, stanches untold treasures of human creativity.)
  • Mine was more like a Lyndon (or Andrew) Johnson reception, except there were no deaths involved and I was incoming instead of outgoing.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Yeah, the venerable tradition thing rings hollow when it's a choir of all white people in Amherst. And I didn't mention the electric bass. :)