Singing propers solo this week HALP!
  • JesJes
    Okay, just have to have a venting moment.
    Choir started with ten blokes who could come and sing in the absence of the normal choir. Priest is doing big fundraisers at the moment so hiring my professional choirs is out of the question. Sadly, my trainee choir, mostly made up of women and children are on holidays too they are not quite up to singing all the chants of the mass yet anyway.
    In the process of the last 24 hours I've discovered my entire choir are booked to serve (last week of summer holidays over here) and would rather serve than come and sing.
    Struth! at this point it looks like I'm singing the whole jolly lot myself.
    Meanwhile. We have removed the organ for major overhaul and have in its place a little contraption, except it isn't in its place, it is in a place where the altar is completely obscured by pillars in the church.
    I have one night to sort out this problem.
    Do I just chant it all myself? Can I ask just anybody in the congregation to tell me when the priest is ready?
    Has anybody else been left high and dry like this?
    When in the liturgical year is the best time for an organist/MD to take a break?
  • SalieriSalieri
    If I were you, I'd just chant it all myself, unaccompanied. If I am asked why I didn't use the organ-contraption, I would reply that where it is placed makes it impossible to see what's going on at the altar.

When in the liturgical year is the best time for an organist/MD to take a break?

19-24 June
    Thanked by 3CCooze Jes Ben
  • Has anybody else been left high and dry like this?

A few times, yes. And for the most spurious of reasons. Such are the foibles of a volunteer choir.

I agree with Salieri for the propers and ordinary. But you needn't have the whole mass be organ-free. Why not just use the organ for prelude and postlude, and have a friend from congregation tell you when the priest has reached the altar for the former?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Or . . . if you're still having asthma, is there the possibility of introducing the custom of French Organ Mass?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • When in the liturgical year is the best time for an organist/MD to take a break?

Northern hemisphere: July / August (it's almost as though the liturgical calendar is planned for this).
    Southern hemisphere: January - everyone else is on holiday, you may as well be too. Post christmas lull and all.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Okay so! I did it by myself.
    I made a few mistakes but I did it.
    :)
    St Philip Neri came through today and helped me be a little bit ridiculous and got me two modern notation singers that could do motets and tell me when to stop playing. I had some eyes on the altar for me.
    But I have never done the chant by myself before and I managed it!
    I'm so tired now haha.

I've decided my holiday will be for 2 weeks during lent when organ isn't needed and the choirs can fend for themselves. During that 2 weeks I will not sing or make any music in a church anywhere I'll just be a normal congregant which I have never actually been since the age of 10! It's going to be a weird experience but I think it's time to get the chance to just pray!

Please pray for me as I'm discerning third orders. (I know people might think that's like petty when some are discerning priesthood or whatever but it means a lot for me, and my family.)
  • rollingrj
    Congratulations! For those of us who have been a "sola schola" member for part or the entirety of a Mass, we understand how nerve-racking it can be before and during and how humbling and uplifting after. All the preparation is well worth the effort.
    Thanked by 3Jes CCooze CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    SInging solo I worry much less about mistakes being audible!
    Thanked by 1francis