Psalms for saintly Communios
  • How does one select a psalm to sing between iterations of the Communion verse, for a saint's day (specifically, SS. Fabian and Sebastian) in EF? This year, we're doing the transferred patronal feast for the first time. I generally do the antiphon, several verses, then the antiphon again, which is enough time for the rest of the Schola to get back up from receiving.
  • HERE is what you want.

By the by, this book Versus Psalmorum et Canticorum (1962) is the correct one for the EF, not CMAA's Communio, because the latter uses a different Latin version of the psalms, not the Gallican psalter.

Also, on p. 6 of this Versus Psalmorum, it seems to note that you would repeat the antiphon after either one or two verses:

...licet ...psalmi versus decantare; quo in casu, post singulos vel binos versus, repeti potest antiphona, et, Communione expleta, psalmus clauditur cum Gloria Patri, et repetitur antiphona.

It is interesting to see that this book has verses for Holy Thursday.

Also, that it has no extra verses for the Requiem introit.

Also, what to do with the Communion Lux aeterna is an interesting question.

So, there are some oddities, but this is definitely the right book; it even scrupulously uses "i" instead of "j", which is very up-to-date.

The pointing is also interesting.

Also, it doesn't seem to specify how the verses are divided up between cantor and / or choirs; it just has the usual rubric for the verse and Gloria Patri at the introit, but says nothing more about the additional verses, or the verses at Communion.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Different options at:

http://musicasacra.com/music/communio/
    (scroll to bottom)

Multitudo languentium
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • So I forgot to check back here, Sunday rolls around..oh crap, what am I singing? Ralph Bednarz says, "It's in Rice. What, you don't trust him?" "Huh, this is in Communio?" Uh, yeah. Problem solved. I just assumed it wasn't there, given that it's not a big feast.

So thanks Richard. And thanks to the rest of you guys, for more options to explore.