Offertory Hymns Suggestions
  • Hi, Our parish has a new pastor, he has begun to use incense during the offertory wish is extending that portion of mass, I suggested to our Music Director/Choir Director "MD" that might offer some short motets, when the choir sings, since the we can't seem to break the habit of only 2 verses of the "Offertory Hymn". I was looking at the St. Pius X Hymnal might "Heart of Jesus" be appropriate? I think the overall text should be about preparing for the sacrifice and hopefully its impact on us, but any other suggestions from that resource would be appreciated, I am trying to nudge the MD toward more traditional sources of music that are easy for the choir to learn.

Any suggestions thanks.

David Deavy
  • There's a decent didactic offertory hymn by an "N. Herman" in Hymns, Psalms, and Spiritual Canticles: We Rejoice, God's Holy People, tune "Offeramus" by Theodore Marier. The language is rather straightforward and lacking in the aesthetic beauty one would find in an Edward Caswall text, but it is very much the sort of text for which you are searching. Marier's tune is upbeat and quite memorable—I find the harmonization to be a bit questionable in places but overall it's more musically competent than some of his other work. I don't have a Pius X nearby, but given Marier edited it and HPSC includes a great deal of his previous work perhaps it's in there somewhere?
    Thanked by 1David Deavy
  • a_f_hawkins
    My wife refused to sing Lord, accept ..., she claimed "through the action of thy priest" is heretical.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    You could always add the Gregorian offertories!
  • Xav
    Two suggestions:
    O God we Give Ourselves Today by Fr. Anthony Nye, S.J. (to MARTYRDOM)
    Receive O Father, God of Might by Fr David Coffey (to TALLIS' CANON)
    see http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/10950/when-the-pastor-asks.../p1
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    You could try, Adoramus Te Christe by Dubois, O Sacrum Convivum by Redondo, both are from St. Gregory hymnal 1920 free to download from Google these are two beautiful motets. Or you could visit The Devotional Hymns Project website for a good selection of hymns.

http://www.catholicdevotionalhymns.com/song-index/

Others I recommend are "In This Sacrament, Sweet Jesus", "Sweet Sacrament Divine", "O What Could My Jesus Do More" and "Veni Jesu, Amor Mi" by Cherubini, all from St. Basil Hymnal 1918, also free to download from Google. All of these hymns are easily learned and don't be afraid to try these hymns, they have more substance to them than many modern contemporary pieces.
  • canadashcanadash
    I know you asked for motets/hymns, but I would concur with Ms. Cooze and her suggestion:

You could always add the Gregorian offertories!

We did this when our priest brought out the incense. We sing them after the hymn and now we are more inclined to finish them than the hymn. (Father doesn't love waiting at the altar and I don't like to keep him waiting most Sundays.) They are lovely!

If they are a little much for your group to learn you could try one of the English Propers and sing a Gregorian once a month or so. I have a small schola of men, usually my two sons and whoever wants to join them, sing the Gregorian propers a few times a month.

Of course, the hymns suggested above are all good choices.
  • PhatFlute
    If you do give me a text and a tune , i will wright you an offeratory hymn ! For free. Peace ,
    Ph
  • but any other suggestions from that resource

Now David, are we talking the 1953 Marier Pius X Hymnal, or are we talking the Traditional Roman Hymnal put out by Everyone's Favorite Canonically Irregular Community?
  • ViolaViola
    Re Gregorian Offertories...

as a cautious babystep towards using these we have started using Offertories from the Lalemant Propers. These are less threatening to our Latin-wary choir (and some clergy) as they are in English and use simple tones. Not ideal for us in the UK though as the translation needs altering slightly; I tell them that using Latin will be so much simpler!
    An Offertory hymn that's popular here is My God accept my heart this day, tune Belmont.
    Also worth a try is Praise to the Lord, the Almighty (Lobe den Herren) which in some versions has a verse that says 'let us offer our gifts at his altar.'
    I won't suggest more because hymnals vary so much between US and UK
    Thanked by 1canadash