Bishop Lennon Resignation-Diocese of Cleveland
  • http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/12/bishop_richard_lennon_resigns.html

Prayers for Bishop Lennon.

Had a chance to attend the Mass today. Thoughts on Bishop Thomas?
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Don't know much about him, but this part of the article is kinda goofy:

During his tenure in Cleveland, Lennon displayed a progressive bent at times, choosing for instance to stop charging $450 for marriage annulments two years before the Vatican ordered all Catholic churches to do so.

But he could also draw a hard line. He prevented students at Catholic schools in the diocese from participating in the social media phenomenon known as the ALS ice bucket challenges that raised money to fight Lou Gehrig's Disease because that research includes the destruction of embryonic stem cells.

A "progressive bent" is attempting to change or nullify binding doctrines. Waiving annulment fees isn't progressive. Rather, the take away is his nixing ALS fundraising. He didn't go in for all that remote material cooperation excuse making.
  • Remember +Thomas is only a temporary administrator until a new bishop is named, so he's only there basically to maintain day-to-day operations, not initiate new programs.

He came in after I left the Diocese of Toledo (which was then governed by now-Abp. Blair of Hartford), but from what I understand from my colleagues still up there he's well-liked and orthodox.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick