AGO Salary Guide -- No More?
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I heard someone talking about how, due to a disagreement with the FTC, the AGO will no longer be publishing its annual salary guides. Does anyone have more information on this?

While I definitely have disagreements with some of what the AGO does, I am still a member and I believe their salary recommendations are important. I have a tough time seeing how this doesn't lead to more places offering less money to musicians who are looking to earn a living.
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • This is true. I don't remember the precise reasons for it, but it had to do with some legal details whereby the Guild should not be engaged in this activity. It's too bad, because such guidelines are needed badly and the Guild is uniquely qualified and respected by many to set them. One might wish that the NPM, as well, would set some salary parameters. (One might reasonably suspect that the difficulties with the FTC arose at the instigation of some curmudgeon who was displeased at the AGO's guidelines.)
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • Full accurate explanation here.

A "Dear Member" page at the end explains the AGO's decision.

Thanked by 2irishtenor MarkS
  • Thanks, Noel -
    So, then, the FTC is fundamentally opposed to ethical behavior amongst church music professionals!
    Thanked by 1MarkS
  • Excuse my ignorance, but what is FTC?
  • chonakchonak
    The Federal Trade Commission is an agency charged with (among other things) enforcing laws about anti-competitive business practices. Somehow they were under the impression that AGO's salary guide meant that organists were colluding to set salaries. Well, actually I suppose they were, but since few organists followed the guide and refused to take low-paying jobs, the FTC should have recognized the collusion as ineffective, and left things alone. But it's much easier to bully a little non-profit association than to fight the anti-competitive practices of big companies who have money and lawyers.
  • What else should one expect from an arm of the soulless State that is becoming daily less and less the 'land of the free'. Mere salary guides? Nor is frowning upon snatching other incumbent's positions fostering honourable competition. The AGO exhibited considerable moral mettle in discouraging such unprincipled rifling of others' nests.

Question - if the NPM has similar salary guides how is it escaping the long arm of the FTC?
    Thanked by 1moderntrad
  • CharlesW
    I don't think those salary guidelines were taken very seriously, to begin with. Perhaps in very large urban areas, but not in smaller cities. The salaries here are, for the most part, not even close to those guidelines.
  • This is very disheartening - it is illegal for an organization even to SUGGEST a frame of reference for salary? The AGO guideline was only ever a guideline, and musicians were free to mention it (or not) and pastors were free to pay attention to it (or not).

Charles - even a quick look at the NPM and AGO job listing pages over the past 5-10 years would show you just how much traction these guidelines had in practice. It was becoming increasingly common - in fact, the marker of a "serious" job posting - to say something like "salary in accord with AGO guidelines". The critical point is that at least the salary scale provided a starting point for discussion and negotiation and job searching. Nobody was ever forced to use it, and plenty of places still went the cheap route ("salary in accord with diocesan guidelines" or the more vague "salary commensurate with education and experience").

Having completed my doctorate and been on the job market in the past 5 years (and for 5 years before that as a grad student with a family to support), I can testify to the value of the AGO scale - again, at least as a frame of reference so that I and the pastor were not just making up numbers out of thin air.

FYI the NPM guidelines were lifted straight from AGO, with a decent premium put on the NPM certification system. I wonder if NPM will be able to publish anything? Or can no organization of any kind offer suggestions on pay? This is madness...
  • BruceL
    Jared, they went after MTNA first and evidently the AGO was next in the crosshairs. It's awful, but if anyone needs them, I have all the scales from 2012-2015 saved and can send them.

I am in a similar situation (financially and familially) as you likewise was a little upset when this all went down. Of all administrations to do this, you'd think the current rather progressive one would not be pushing this.

Unions, of course, are protected by law, so none of this affects them, also possibly showing some behind-the-scenes machinations in my mind.

AGO even dropped arbitration a few years ago, perhaps to avoid FTC scrutiny, so I was surprised at all this.
    Thanked by 1JaredOstermann
  • Well, actually I suppose they were, but since few organists followed the guide and refused to take low-paying jobs, the FTC should have recognized the collusion as ineffective, and left things alone.

Even if organists were refusing to take jobs based on an employer's choice to not offer an AGO salary, it wouldn't be illegal since it is the right of the potential employee to choose if they want to accept the job or not, for whatever reason they see fit. I think that the FTC involvement was unnecessary in this case. What good did it do to break this practice? Will they litigate other businesses and organizations that have similar practices?
  • Liam
    Because we know how deeply oppressed America is by overpaid, uncompetitive organists.

Given my experience of bureaucracies (on the securities side of things), my hunch is that the FTC was nudged by extrinsic factors into exploring this area. That is to say, a bureaucracy that is being opposed by big players often finds itself having to demonstrate its even-handedness in a variety of ways that hurt small fry.
  • a_f_hawkins
    In a separate complaint, the FTC charged that the California Association of Legal Support Professionals (CALSPro), which represents companies and individuals that provide legal support services in California, violated the FTC Act through code of ethics provisions that restrained its members from competing against each other on price, disparaging each other through advertising, and soliciting legal support professionals for employment.
    But of course the bureaucrats did not write the law, that was your elected representatives.
  • eft94530eft94530
    The PDF page 5 and page 6 are incorrectly ordered.
    Read page 6 then page 5.
  • eft94530eft94530
    I thought the NPM got some of its Salary material from AGO.

EDIT:
    Jared: FYI the NPM guidelines were lifted straight from AGO

Oops I posted before I got to your post.
  • Bumping this thread - just saw the official FTC posting at PrayTell Blog:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2017/03/american-guild-organists-agrees-eliminate-rules-restrict

I wonder, is there any good response to this nonsense? In order for positions to be advertised, and for pastor and musician to have good conversations and make good decisions, there must be a basic level of shared information. I'm not sure how to go about gathering that info. I suspect that these days, there is an app which would generate a questionnaire and tabulate all the results. But I'm not tech-savvy...

Cross-posting my comment from PTB:

The whole “issue” never made sense to me, since everything put out by the AGO was simply a suggestion – it was never binding on employers or employees in any way, as Alan noted. It seems bizarre to me that an organization cannot even suggest a salary range for professionals with a certain skill set.

The FTC also apparently does not understand that it’s up to the church who gets to be in the loft (church property) and play on the organ (expensive, breakable property of the church). All the language of “increasing competition” is FTC bureaucratic speak that actually changes nothing (aside from muzzling the AGO). Churches are still free to make whatever provisions they want on this issue.

Aside from the bizarre nature of this whole prosecution and ruling, I am sad to see the AGO salary scale disappear (and by association the NPM scale). Church music is not a “mainstream” profession, and it has always been very helpful in my jobs to at least have some kind of national-level suggestions to help start the salary conversation. I wonder – is anyone allowed to set up a similar scale, as long as they are not a dues-based organization? What would be very helpful is some intensive research into salaries, which could establish, if not suggestions, simply averages cross-referenced by region, hours per week, level of education, and experience. The research could all be confidential, but at least you would end up with an accurate picture of what is currently being paid. In fact, such information might be more helpful and practical than salary suggestions anyway. BUT – that would be a lot of work. Who would do something like that? Without any suggestions or information, my worry is that church music will revert to pastors and musicians pulling numbers out of thin air. There is no way to even frame the salary conversation properly without any information or national suggestions…
  • CharlesW
    The whole thing was another example of government over-reach. I hope some of that gets squelched by the new administration. The AGO guides were never more than good for a laugh in my part of the country, since hardly anyone pays that much.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • rich_enough
    A sorry waste of time and taxes. This will change nothing in practice, since, as JaredOstermann notes, this only affects the AGO; churches are still free to make whatever provisions they want on this issue.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    If AGO were a musicians union, then it could have a wage scale. Otherwise, a scale is seen as limiting competition.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • I rather suspect that the only 'competition' that is limited or confined by a (mere!) salary recommendation is that of those who will play for free or for a pittance. These folk (and their chincy parishes) are the beneficiaries of this ruling which removes from them even a shadow of justice to bother their paltry consciences.
  • just noticing, the Lutherans publish organist salary guidelines

https://www.alcm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Placement-Employment-Guidelines-20121.pdf

If they have them, there are probably others out there. If these are comparable to the AGO guidelines-that-were (I do not know), an organist seeking a position might cite these, or some similar source, when negotiating salary?
  • chonakchonak
    Some dioceses also publish pay guidelines.
  • Publishing data on actual salary ranges, means, medians, that sort of thing is still entirely legal. It just has to be data rather than a guide.

The primary restraints on trade really had to do with the guidelines on not undercutting another AGO member, not making an offer on a position that is currently filled, that sort of thing. Those are considered restraints on trade, that is to say the AGO is restraining the practice of the trade of its members, though this entire matter is ridiculous. Now, a church publishing a salary guide is not a restraint on trade, though perhaps it could be imagined it is a monopolistic and anti-competitive practice that is addressed by entirely different laws.

The USA is rather peculiar, we grant vast privileges to trade unions, but absolutely and totally prohibit anything that is not exactly and precisely a union as US law defines it from engaging in union like activity (which has as much to do with protecting the unions themselves from alternative means of organizing labor as anything else). Traditional guilds are also illegal in the US. The Volkswagen company famously prefers it workers to be organized in most of the world, but the "works council" it uses in most of the world is illegal in the USA because it operates on a cooperative rather than antagonistic model regarding management/labor relations.
  • Liam
    Part of that is a legacy of the common law system, where unions were viewed as conspiracies or combinations in restraint of trade or similarly. So the statutes permitting them are in a sense carve-outs.
  • ghmus7
    This is a prime example of what the govenment does today, wasting time and precious resources on useless and silly enforcement of regulations and abolishing guidelines for private non profit groups that have only been helpful or neutral in the past.
    The amount of time and money which the ago has has to employ in dealing with this stupidity is astounding. I thank the Lord everyday that Obama is no longer president, though i am not sure if that makes a difference....what a destructive waste of time.The government simply has no buisness running non profit groups like the AGO.
  • CharlesW
    The government simply has no buisness running non profit groups like the AGO.

Agreed. I have also said for some years that the government has no business funding private organizations with taxpayer money - Planned Parenthood being a prime example. There are others. If they are "private" they should be raising their own funds, which AGO does admirably.
    Thanked by 1dboothe