Repertoire for children's choir
  • ViolaViola
    We are hoping to start a choir for children aged around 7/8. Please can anyone suggest suitable sacred repertoire? Once they are up and running they would sing once a month at Sunday Mass in the main church of the city.

They will learn the ICEL chant Mass; the thought is to teach it in Greek/Latin as we have diverse communities, for some of whom English is not the first language.

What else to teach the choir is currently causing some disagreement. Some suggest simple chants, or hymns, or canons like Dona nobis pacem, or........?
    The main focus seems to be to get away from the Bind Us Together/Walk in the Light mentality. I believe children are capable of much more than this.
    It would be great to have some suggestions from people who work with such choirs.

Thank you.
    Thanked by 1tsoapm
  • MarkS
    Kids that age are sponges—they will absorb anything that is enthusiastically presented to them, they memorize things almost instantaneously, and often they come without the cultural baggage of many of their elders. In my experience they love learning languages and they enjoy simple chants; rounds like Dona Nobis are an excellent idea to prepare young singers for eventually singing independent parts. Music with lots of stepwise motion and mostly syllabic text-setting is most successful with this group, but there is a lot of music that fits into that category! Above all, they love to be challenged! The best way to lose them is to have them sing 'kid songs.'

Another idea, depending on your situation, is to occasionally have kids learn the treble part of an anthem that the choir is singing and have them perform it with the choir—this is a way of expanding the kid's experience and repertoire (and is always a crowd-pleaser, if that counts for something!).
  • I couldn't improve on what Mark has said -

Yes, yes, yes.... by all means teach them the treble parts to real anthems and have them sing with the parish choir on special occasions. This is what our treble choir at Walsingham do.

Don't overlook the joy of canons. Such a well known one as Tallis' Canon can be sung to a variety of hymn texts appropriate to almost any feast.
  • a_f_hawkins
    One or two things from the Iona community/Wild Goose Publications might work. The Lamb of God (St Bride setting) with the children on the cantor line, if there are enough doting parents to help the congregation get the timing right. Even without that support, my experience is it works as written in a metropolitan cathedral. (No I don't normally want call/response music at Mass in the UK, but this is a bit different, just a two part canon.)
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • ViolaViola
    Thanks for Iona suggestion. We are in Scotland so that would be a highly appropriate choice.
  • Kathy
    After the simplest Mass Ordinary, I always begin with the seasonal Marian antiphon. These can be used as prayers at rehearsal, which fosters both sound Marian devotion and memorization. They can be sung at the end of Communion, as at St. Peter's.
    Thanked by 2Viola tsoapm
  • The kids probably dislike Walk in the Light etc as much as you do. But the question is, what do they see as alternatives.

If they don't know of alternatives, then you have a blank slate. BUT you need to find out if they are being exposed to "contemporary Christian music" via radio etc at home. This happens for some ethnic minorities. And if it is happening, then there is likely music which they're itching to sing at church, but can't. Find out what this is, and use the best of it, alongside other types of music too. (If you ignore this layer, then it can be really difficult to engage the kids in other types of quality music.)

Latin looks good as a unifier to majority language speakers. But be aware that not all ethnic groups will see it that way Africans already have a tribal language or two, French for talking to the other tribes, English for talking to the Christian missionaries, and goodness only knows what else. For them Latin is not at all a unifier, but is yet another language. Eastern Europeans are more likely to see it as a unifier but are sometimes struggling with English so much that they don't want to struggle with Latin too.

Also, be careful not to choose material which is gloomy and suitable for funerals: kids that age possibly have never known anyone who died, aren't motivated by fear of what happens after death, and are depressed by this material. There's enough darkness in their worlds already - they don't need more from church music. We had a curate who had kids singing Abide with Me and similar - the kids totally didn't get it, and didn't have enough experience to see through to how lovely some of his materials could be if sung well enough.
    Thanked by 2Viola tsoapm
  • There are lots of easy chants in Liber Cantualis that children would really enjoy!
    Thanked by 1Viola
  • Kathy
    I recommend the Parish Book of Chant as the beginning choir textbook for children. To begin with, supplement with really excellent hymns of varied meters. Then when they have mastered some chants, including Marian antiphons and chant hymns, move them through English propers to full Gregorian melodies.

Before they are teenagers, they will be capable of singing the most difficult chants.

Then English hymns in SATB.

Then, Renaissance homophony.

Then, polyphony.
  • ViolaViola
    Thanks, MJO, for Liber Cantualis suggestion. I've looked through it and the Responsoria Breves are fun. And of course short.
    And thanks, Kathy, for your recommendation; plenty there to keep them busy.

I contrast all the really helpful suggestions made on this forum with the (no doubt well-meant) advice to teach them action songs................

Thanks

(why has this come out in italics??
  • These days, eight is too old for action songs. Unless you've got an unusually immature bunch of kids

It wasn't always so. But is with the media most kids are exposed to.
  • https://www.sjmp.com/viva-voce is a VERY useful book of music and instruction for the child's voice that works to give you repertoire but also trains the voices of the singers.

For those who have never tried or tried and failed to get a children's choir going, this is highly recommended.
    Thanked by 2canadash Viola
  • francis
    With my children's schola, I used the Graduale, and they did a wonderful job of modeling how easy it is to sing GC. Don't let anyone fool you, or rob the children.

And Jesus calling unto him a little child, set him in the midst of them, And said: Amen I say to you, unless you be converted, and become as little children, you shall not enter into
    the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4
  • Don't let anyone fool you, or rob...

It cannot be said enough that all of those people who go around snortling that children can't learn chant, or this, that, and the other, are musical cretins themselves - and/or have no business in education. As I have said elsewhere recently, they should in every instance be reminded to stop projecting their own ignorance onto others.
  • As I have said elsewhere recently,

You're quite correct, of course, that people who are of this mindset have no business in education, but when the chief shepherd of the flock suspiciously looks at the flower of Flanders and wants it cut down with a lawnmower or spread with weedkiller..... why do you (and I )expect to win this argument?

Are you ready to risk your red hat?
  • Well, Chris -

Sometimes, when winning seems unlikely, one must take satisfaction in being 'right' and not surrender. Always walk off unruffled on well defined high ground.

(About that red hat - hmm... there are times, aren't there?, when such baubles are millstones about the necks of those who all too readily accept the slavery of moral impotence rather than exercise their human dignity and moral rectitude. Or, to put it more briefly, few are made of the stuff of St Thomas More or St John Fisher!)
    Thanked by 2Elmar francis
  • Where's Adam Wood when we need him, or Ben Yanke, or someone else really good with photoshopped pictures and a wry sense of humor.... I want to see a picture of Jackson in a Cardinal's hat!
  • Oh please no.
    That's not me.
  • What is your aim for this choir?

If it is to teach them quality high-art music, then a full on chant and polyphony (starting with two voices and working up)repertoire is appropriate.

If it is to use music to form them as followers of Jesus rather than Sunday-only-choristers then you need materials which not only they can sing, but which engage their hearts and minds. In this case, the texts used matter more, as does choosing material that they enjoy.
  • Kathy
    Hahahaha.

You're implying that chant and polyphony don't help people love Jesus.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
  • I never agree with Kathy. But she's right.

Thanked by 1francis
  • MarkS
    If it is to teach them quality high-art music,

If it is to use music to form them as followers of Jesus

With respect, I would argue that these are not mutually exclusive, or even in any way incompatible. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'choosing material that they enjoy'—it is not my mission as a musician and music educator to give people more of what they are already comfortable with, but to broaden their knowledge and experience of the greater world of what we may indeed call 'high-art' music. Yes, programming music that is challenging yet achievable and will provide a satisfying experience is an all important skill. But I know from long experience that if, for instance, I prepare a concert program for a younger treble choir with
    a) a lighter piece that was certain to be 'popular,'
    b) several pieces that fall somewhere in between serious and not, but are musically substantial, and
    c) a straight out 'high-art music' piece that, while challenging, might be achievable,
    by the time of performance, their favorite piece, and the one they are most proud of, was the 'high-art music' piece. And why would't it be? For this age group, such a piece might be a chant hymn, or a round or 2 or 3 part cannon, or even simple 2-part polyphony.

I guess I'm assuming that the purpose of a church choir is to prepare ultimately for participation in worship, and I believe we do this best by always aiming to sing the very best appropriate music we are capable of (and indeed expanding the bounds of what we are capable of, if we are taking our responsibility seriously). This, I thought, was pretty much what this forum was all about!

And, yes our choir ministry has to do with deepening and 'forming' our choristers faith, at all ages. Our biggest aids in this regards are the 'high-art' pieces that have moved folks through the centuries, and continue to.

(And yes, agree with Kathy.)
  • I participated in a diocesan choir festival for school children some years back. Nearly every choir followed the same message: let's entertain our arrested development adults and teach the kids songs from Disney-flicks. My choir (as I recall) was the only one which really tried to do something in a different vein. We sang an arrangement I wrote of Scarborough Fair</>.

I didn't get booed, and the kids respected what we had done, but looks of distain went around the other choir directors.
  • I can't believe that someone on this august forum is suggesting that 'high-art music' (whatever is meant by that!) has not the sacramental about it, and doesn't form the minds of youth to Godliness and a love of Jesus. This is preposterous. On the contrary, the music which the writer likely has in mind leads the minds of all ages to Jesus and Godliness more surely than any other - and the gifted people who wrote/write it received their gift from Jesus. Their work, then, is Jesus' gift to us - young and old alike.

In fact, I'm wondering just what our esteemed member means by 'high-art music'. Is he (is he really) suggesting that our patrimony of sacred music is not, simply, music that is sacred, but is 'high-art' and, therefore, spiritually worthless to youth? Perhaps he means that 'low-art' or 'no art at all' is the only thing appropriate for young minds. If so, he has plenty of company - company which shouldn't be teaching youth and projecting their own ignorance onto others, nay, infecting them with it, bacillus-like.

This reminds me of those who, with obvious disdain and ill-camouflaged contempt, refer to our western musical heritage as 'European art music', not as music. If anything can be tagged as 'art' it is worthless in the minds of these babbits.
  • ViolaViola
    Our aims are two-fold.
    1. To start early with getting people singing chant. Someone already said that children at this age are like sponges, and also don't have a lot of the baggage that older folk do. Once they are confident they will sing at Sunday Mass, maybe once a month. If it's successful, then as this group gets older we'll then start another choir. And so on.
    Hopefully there will be other opportunities for them to sing; the local music festival has a section for church choirs.
    2. Evangelisation. Music is a powerful tool. Get the families involved.
    There may well be other benefits.
    Our inspiration is the diocese of Leeds (UK). Look at their website to see what they are doing.
    http://www.dioceseofleedsmusic.org.uk/
  • Pax Melodious doesn't say so in so many words, but it is evident that, since "the text matters", it would need to be in the vernacular. Latin is, evidently, for Sunday-only choristers.

So, let me address myself directly to PAX,

What evidence have you that children can't learn and don't want to learn something beautiful and time-honored to honor God?
  • For the latin versus vernacular supposed problem, there is a simple solution for many pieces of music - learn it in both. Our childrens choir do that for things like Adoro te devote, Pange lingua etc etc. That way no one can argue that the kids don't understand what they are singing. However, whenever I am introducing a new piece of music, and I ask would they like to learn the english or the latin first, they invariably ask for more latin. We sing at Mass - an english language novus ordo - so this is nota cultural thing but something that seems to appeal to their sense of fun? mystery? complicated is exciting? Secret language the adults don't know? whatever it is, it works for them.
  • (minor comment)

Singing every week at Mass gives a much higher chance of this choir to getting started and growing. Singing the Ordinary of the Mass gives them an importance. Sing special music once a month doesn't, in my poor opinion.
    Thanked by 2canadash CHGiffen
  • Carl DCarl D
    Noel, I came up with this exact dilemma. Our schola started out once a month, and we were doing ALL the music for the Mass. After a few years I decided that we might be good enough to sing every other week - and it didn't really work. We ended up just singing our old repertoire with insufficient practice, so it started feeling repetitive and uninteresting to the singers. I didn't want the quality to be insufficient, so that meant we really didn't have time to address new songs.

I ended up going back to the once-a-month and it was more interesting. The singers were more engaged.

My personal advice is to start out by singing more than just one or two selections at a Mass - preferably all the ordinaries and propers. Then when skill improves, add more Masses. But don't have the quality dip so low that people are troubled by the mistakes.
  • You're implying that chant and polyphony don't help people love Jesus.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha right back. That's not what I said.

What I said is that the objectives of the choir should drive the selection of material.

High-art musical works, which are typically based on liturgical rather than scriptural sources, CAN lead people to a personal relationship with Jesus. My experience is that they have a chance of doing so for about a quarter of the general population. The other three quarters may well be able to parrot the words and tune, but won't be affected by the music, and if they find themselves remembering bits of it later in the week or later in their lives they won't have access to the meaning (as opposed to the syllables) AT THAT TIME because the handy side-by-side translations won't be available then.

This proportion varies widely across culture (eg many Polish immigrants in the UK are delighted to have got away from the classical church at home, and are far more moved by Hillsong and the like).

But all this is moot, because one of the objectives of the choir is to evangelise the families, not just the children. So all the statements about children of that age being willing and able to learn anything and not having baggage, while true, are irrelevant.

I never said anything about the vernacular either. Well chosen materials in various languages, including the first-languages of the families, absolutely should be part of the material of a choir like this. So should "some" Latin. But not all of anything.

• Thanked by 1francis
  • ViolaViola
    The plan is for them to learn the ICEL chant Mass in Greek/Latin for starters and sing that at Mass, along with other things, yet to be decided. I was hoping for some guidance on this. They would sing once a month at the cathedral and on other weeks at other churches in the city, if asked.
    I'm encouraged by those who have found that children pick up Latin readily. At the moment we have in the city Polish/Spanish/French/African/Irish etc etc choirs. That's all fine, but we would like to encourage people to come and sing together rather than separately. Hopefully starting with the children might help achieve this.
  • Don9of11Don9of11
    If you want something different I would suggest "Jesus, Teach Me How To Pray" . This is a very simple melody to learn and sing and I think the congregation might benefit from it as well. Another might be, "Beautiful Angel". Something for Christmas would be "Venite in Bethlehem" this is a tune set to Immaculate Mary so the learning curve would be almost instantaneous. A favorite of mine is "Dear Guardian of Mary". Anyway those are some suggestions.
  • A lovely carol, a delight for all ages and particularly enjoyed by children, is 'The Snow Lay on the Ground' with its venite adoremus refrain. It, a 'traditional carol' arr. by Leo Sowerby, may be found at no. 41 in The Hymnal 1940.

Also, give consideration to no. 34 in the same hymnal. 'Unto us a Boy is Born', sung to Puer nobis nascitur , with its fun melismatic final cadence is much loved by children.
  • Nice one Viola - the more you tell us about the situation, the more it helps people to make targetted suggestions.

I'm guessing they will be singing in the cathedral because you are the cathedral parish? Even just knowing that your initiative is part of a cathedral music programme, and that there are other types of choirs in the diocese, would make me lean more towards a classical-music based repertoire, because cathedral-parish families are likely to be more inclined towards that, and because it gives you a point of difference from the other choirs.

My advice would be to look to the seasons when your choir will be working (I'd guess based on the school year) and then to look for appropriate material around those seasons liturgical seasons.
  • But all this is moot, because one of the objectives of the choir is to evangelise the families, not just the children. So all the statements about children of that age being willing and able to learn anything and not having baggage, while true, are irrelevant.

So the choir's like doughnuts, after Mass, to evangelize?

That's simply not the role of a Catholic Choir singing at Mass.
  • Pax,

You continue to thumb your nose at what you call "high-art" music., and polyphony and chant. What apparently escapes your attention -- based on how you're framing your argument -- is that music acts at multiple levels. My mother-in-law was happy singing "mother Mary come to me" at Mass, until she was told (I don't remember by whom, except that it wasn't me) that the "Mary" here is Marijuana. -- I don't know if that's true, but because the music had impacted her at a trans-reasoning level (which may not be the right word for what I'm trying to describe, but I'll have to let it go for now) she had real trouble finding anything wrong with it for a long time. People love the music of the Beatles (especially from a certain generation), but can you imagine this love translating to "Imagine" being sung at Christmas time in a Catholic Church?! Or "I don't know how to love him" from Jesus Christ Superstar at a wedding?

Our job as church musicians most emphatically isn't to "form a personal relationship" with Jesus for the people of our parish. Mass isn't a campfire. God isn't my "best bud". If we (or our predecessors) have taught other people that "traditional Catholic hymns like 'How great thou art' and 'On Eagles' Wings'" are the most profound union with God, someone lied. Plain and simple.
  • JesJes
    Kids love chant.
    salve regina,
    regina caeli,
    dies irae,
    panis angelicus
    etc.
    Teach them the chant hymns. They love them!

For motets I like to do the famous ones like Ave maria, Panis Angelicus, jesu joy of man's desiring.

and then hymns in english are great but I also like to do the rounds that exist out there. They are so much fun!

Enjoy!
    Check out my chant tube idea, I'm finding it's working.
    I wish I had a choir that was of such a small age range. That sounds like a really nice thing to teach.

We did a rosary procession the other day and sang the pilgrimage version of the Ave Maria and the chant for Gloria Patri, and Pater Noster.
    THEY LOVED IT!
  • francis
    The children love the chant. Don't be fooled or deceived. And it IS the perfect music to love Jesus from the heart.
  • ViolaViola
    Thanks for suggestions.
    Yes, this initiative comes from the cathedral but the choir will be drawn from three primary schools one of which is in a 'deprived' area. Another is in a posh part of town. The third is sort of average, though close to the university and, interestingly, has a high proportion of Muslim pupils who attend a Catholic school because their parents value the faith-based ethos. The head teacher gives them a room to pray in. Not sure if any of these children will join the choir.
    We do want to evangelise, by drawing in families who are hitherto not involved with the church. This has been proved to work in Leeds.
    And we will focus on chant, but other suggestions are interesting too. We'll see how it goes
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn