HS Choir Discipline
  • I have a HS choir comprised of a core of students who love to sing and are excellent, and a group of people who want to earn graduation credits and are discipline issues.

What would you do?
  • Reval
    Is there a formal discipline system at the school? Demerits, etc.? I bet most of the choir will be relieved when you start cracking down on the disruptive ones!
  • Liam
    Sounds like every school and college class. Does the school permit including a weighted component of grading devoted to participation and/or effort?
  • canadashcanadash
    Can you have a "sit down" with the parents and the kids and tell them the issues and what you might consider as a consequence?
  • What does the teacher of every other class do?
  • Call out an ensemble which does more and better because discipline and hard work, and let them earn cred.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • I certainly crack down, and my issue is not discipline per se, since, as PaxMelodius points out, that is a common issue in every subject.

Rather, it is that, in a choir, what would be an "F" on a few individuals' tests before the class moves inexorably on to the next unit actually ruins the performance of the entire group, and holds the class back from what many of them are willing and capable of doing.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • It depends on what the specific discipline issues are. There are some heavy handed ways that you can address things, but as the saying goes "the punishment must fit the crime." In general just having a clear set of rules and enforcing them goes a long way. I'd be able to help you better if you could give some specific examples of the issues you're having.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    When I taught (20 years) secondary choral (MS/HS) I contracted the kids to cooperative discipline. AKA for general class discipline, they were charged to monitor and self-correct to accepted behavior norms. When that failed, consequence them all with sanctions such as delayed dismissal time for all. Sure, it isn't intrinsically fair, but eventually the miscreants will hear from each other when they're late for other classes, or whatever else another sanction elicits. Individual problems, keep your cool absolutely and document every intervention/exchange. Keep the learning directors/asst. principals current and advised. If an offending student is on a varsity team, academic club or such, speak to their faculty advisor about their misbehaviors and insist/enlist them to apply sanctions as well. Don't expect much support from parents.
    PS. The first week of school is crucial. Identify likely delinquents and dismiss them from the course permanently. That will get around you're serious.