Communion Propers
  • For lack of appropriate existing resources for my choir, I've been writing short and easy communion antiphons each week. If anyone thinks these look like they might be a good fit for your choir I'll start writing them ahead of time to share.
  • Finally switched up the music for the verses come Advent:
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 CHGiffen
  • KyleM18
    Definitely would be a good fit for my high school choir. Hate to ask, but do you have one for the Immaculate Conception? These are nice and simple, yet really good.
  • Here's what we're using on the 8th...
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 CHGiffen
  • ronkrisman
    A repeated typo: it's Sundays OF Advent, Lent, Easter, but Sundays IN Ordinary Time.
  • With respect, Father -
    Traditionally, though there are some who dispute it, Sundays are of Advent, but in Lent, allowing as how the forty days of Lent are calculated exclusive of Sundays.

Now, let us hear reasoning to the contrary from Father Krisman, who, I'm sure, must know what he is talking about.
  • I'll let you two duke it out and wait eagerly for the final verdict.
    (And make necessary adjustments for the next advent of ordinary time.)
  • While this link correctly speaks of Sundays being 'during' Lent, it fails to establish that they or 'of' Lent, although it refers to them as such. It seems to me that there is a greater likeness of meaning betwixt 'during' and 'in' rather than 'during' and 'of'.
  • Liam
    <>
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Those perplexed at the 38 days in the wilderness between Ash Wednesday and the Palm Sunday entrance into Jerusalem or the 6-day weeks in the desert will try to take comfort in the theory that 40 is just an anachronistic rationalization of the historical 36-day fast, a rounded-off tithe of 365 & a quarter days. Wait, did someone say Sundays in Ordinary Time?
  • ronkrisman
    MJO, the terminology I used is that of the USA's approved and confirmed English-language translation of the Roman Missal and of the Lectionary for Mass. If another English-speaking conference of bishops has approved something difference from what is in the ICEL translation (which is what the USA follows), I'm sure all of us would be happy to learn that. Also, if Divine Worship has something different, it would be good to know that as well.

The prepositions used in the English titles do not match the Latin titles for the Sundays of Lent and the Sundays in Ordinary Time. Some typical Latin titles are:

DOMINICA PRIMA ADVENTUS (of Advent)
    DOMINICA I IN QUADRAGESIMA (in Lent)
    DOMINICA II PASCHAE (of Easter)
    DOMINICA II "PER ANNUM" (throughout the year)

According to the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and Calendar, no. 28: "Lent runs from Ash Wednesday until the Mass of the Lord's Supper exclusive." So the Sundays of Lent are in Lent and are numbered among the days of Lent, which now are 44. ("Lord, who throughout these forty-four [two quavers to replace the crotchet] days, For us didst fast and pray...")

The Latin for no. 28 reads: "Tempus Quadragesimae decurrit a feria IV Cinerum ad Missam in Cena Domini exclusive." However, the translation in the 2010 Roman Missal has this: "The forty days of Lent run from Ash Wednesday up to but excluding the Mass of the Lord's Supper exclusive." I would guess that this wording is not that of ICEL but rather is one of the 10,000 or so changes made by the Vox Clara commission. But "forty days" is not in the Latin; "tempus quadragesima" means the season/time of Lent, or simply, Lent, as in the 1969 English translation.

Before Ash Wednesday and the three succeeding days were added to the Lenten season, Lent DID have 40 days: from the First Sunday of Lent (day one) through Holy Thursday (day 40). But when those four days were added, the ancients were not stupid. They knew that the expanded Lent had 44 days, so they got creative: don't count the six Sundays and add Good Friday and Holy Saturday. Presto! Back to 40 days, just not the traditional 40 days.

And, by the way, Jesus' forty days in the desert preceded his public ministry, not his entrance into Jerusalem.
  • Many thanks, Father, for a magisterial response.
  • a_f_hawkins
    And for the Milanese and all following the Ambrosian Rite, Lent still begins on the Sunday forty days before Good Friday. So instead of Mardi Gras they enjoy Sabato Grasso.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Did I arrive in time to salt the dish?

70 = Septuagesima
    60 = Sexagesima
    50 = Quinquagesima
    40 = Quadragesima [Lent]

And further I think
    Mar 1 (Saint David)
    Mar 17 (Saint Patrick)
    should be excluded days.