Pre-holiday grumbling and passive aggressive people
  • Is it already that time of year? That time when people are so totally self absorbed they start treating everyone around them like they don't matter or even exist? It must be. Director is back to making snippy comments, today was a classic. Story: a nice old lady in the congregation makes beautiful hand-sewn bible covers and other crafts. She made a turkey centerpiece for the director, who showed it to me this morning when I came in. Then I went to make a quick copy so I could avoid an irritating page turn, and the sewing lady happened to be in the office. She handed me a bag and it had another turkey in it! I thanked her for this lovely gift and went back upstairs. I told the director that sewing lady also made me a turkey, to which she replied "Oh! I thought when she told me she made one for (another person who has my name) I didn't think she meant YOU. Well, that's nice anyway." And then repeated herself, sort of laughing, "Oh I don't know why I thought she meant (again, other person with my name)."

Was it really that amazing that someone thought to do something nice for the lowly, insignificant organist?

Some people just don't make sense. Some days she's as nice as can be, then other times it's questionable...I wouldn't be sore about this except that she has a history to talk down to me and deliberately exclude me. It just seemed par for her course.

In other news, I got many compliments for a beautiful Purcell voluntary I played for today's prelude, and it was the first time I felt really proud of my organ skills.

I'm grumpy right now. I just had a lovely mug of hot apple cider with brandy and a cinnamon stick. Think I'll have another one and go to bed...
  • Liam
    A handy phrase comes to mind: "I need to put you out of my misery."

Or, from a T-shirt I saw about 25 years ago: "I've made a list of all the people I've harmed, and I asked God to remove them."
  • CharlesW
    She needs a good smack - delivered with a smile and Christian charity, of course. Think of it as fraternal correction.
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • Some ironic laughter followed by an obnoxious groan usually allows one to aggressively avoid confrontation on the matter. And if you do resort to fisticuffs remember to use both hands at the same time to avoid the inevitable turn-the-other-cheek response.