Being interrupted while playing at Mass
  • A recent discussion troubled me a bit. While searching out more music for the Organist's Quarterly this morning, I came across a piece for you to download that I think might soften the blow of what I am going to say.

We do not play at Mass. We play the Mass. Being part of the liturgy, we are charged with not delaying the liturgy. When digging through score after score created by organists playing at Mass you'll find long pieces and short pieces. As you and the celebrant become attuned to each other, a successful organist anticipates how much music is needed during the offertory and communion.

With so much music being based upon chant, modal pieces lend themselves to cutting short while more modern pieces, such as voluntaries major or minor, do not. A major or minor voluntary works well before Mass or After Mass but might suffer during the offertory by being cut short before a final cadence.

An "attuned to the liturgy organist" is a welcome thing. One who delays the liturgy will be seen by some priests as a troublesome one.

Some priests will welcome the organ continuing to play after communion is ended, giving him time to sit and pray before going on. Possibly "attend to the liturgy organist" is not the right statement, but rather should be "Attuned to the Liturgy as Celebrated by Father X".

Every organist needs a stack of music of short organ works...there are an amazing number of such works by Franck, Gigout and others just for his purpose.

This short Ecce Panis is a lovely piece and, if there is time, may be repeated with a simple stop change once or even twice. I hope that you enjoy it.

• I love our priest who reminds us it is a sin to think the mass is too long, then reminds those people the sacrament of reconciliation is made available during mass in the confessional boxes. We usually have time for another hymn or instrumental music from the time communion is all taken to the time the celebrant sits down and leads a prayer to Mary.
    Then there are those who demand every mass end exactly 53 minutes after beginning, the so-called drive-thru priest. They are usually supported by a deacon who will turn his head and say "start now" if we don't start singing during the period of time the holy eucharist goes from being in his hands to his mouth.
  • dad29
    At the same time, I am of the school which believes that silence is a good thing during Mass. So the musician(s) should work towards a balance--that is, the answer to all things is not "mo' music."
  • So the musician(s) should work towards a balance--that is, the answer to all things is not "mo' music."

I'm in general agreement with this statement, however, when the natural flow of the music is curtailed because the priest is trying to shorten the Mass as much as possible, a great disservice is being done. When music that is perceived as being "too long," such as Gregorian chant and polyphony, is banned for that reason, a great disservice is being done.
  • Ha! I had thought, observing the title of this thread, that the subject matter would be those announcers and greeters, and other unnecessary liturgical party crashers with unfortunate decorum disabilities who interrupt the prelude or some other voluntary with their klutzy verbiage. The solution is to play louder, or, at least, just to continue until one is finished - or, to leave. Most of these unnecessary folk do, actually!, have the sense to wait until one is finished, but some don't seem to have a water buffalo's manners or sense of decorum.

However, since such is not the thrust of this thread, one would have to agree that learning to finesse with celebrants and the inalienable pace of the liturgy is an absolute must for the true church musician. It's all part of the ritual continuum that constitutes the correctly celebrated mass. Running over a few seconds to finish a Bach or Tomkins voluntary is forgivable (and a gracious celebrant will 'get it' and accommodate this), but more than that is poor liturgical musicianship. A well energised ritual will acquire a rhythm that all participants are caught up in, like a well choreographed sacred dance - and, it must be said, there is this aspect of liturgy, an aspect that is too often missing in Catholic worship - particularly-but-far-from-solely when announcers of any kind are involved, for these are, ineluctably, violators (violators!) of ritual text and pace, not to mention obliterators of the appropriate mental focus of all.

As for communion voluntaries or improvisations, I enjoy making them end precisely at the moment at which the celebrant sits down in his chair (or, if he doesn't sit in his chair, the very moment that the ablutions are finished). This is a lovely definition of time and function, which leaves silence for prayer or reflection for however long the celebrant wishes.

In some Protestant and Anglican churches it is different. One takes it for granted that the celebrant or officiant will wait for the conclusion of an offertory voluntary or anthem, the latter being, especially, an important and anticipated major element of the service or liturgy. Indeed, it is a little sad that Catholic liturgy cannot accommodate some of the gems of the Anglican treasury of anthems (for instance, things like Ireland's 'Greater Love', or a Howells Te Deum, or an RVW Jubilate, etc.). What is gained, though, and gained thankfully, is a profound sense of the liturgy's real drama, focus, and end. No element of liturgy in Catholic worship may 'upset' this existential and inalienable thrust, this equilibrium betwixt ritual and its inseparable musical handmaiden. Notice that I spoke of music as ritual's inseparable handmaiden, and not as its ornament, for music, whatever form it takes (including organ voluntaries, preludes and postludes) is not an ornament, an addition - it is, as the Church has made clear for centuries and millennia, inherent - not, as some mean and poverty stricken souls would have it, an additive. So, being inherent, it must always follow the Shape of the Liturgy - I purposefully refer here to Dom Gregory Dix's magisterial-but-now-dated book: though he was an Anglican Benedictine scholar, his book was widely respected in Catholic circles and even used as a text in some seminaries.
    Thanked by 2a_f_hawkins CCooze
  • a_f_hawkins
    I spoke of music as ritual's inseparable handmaiden
    Perhaps much of the present Catholic music problem arose when, as at JFK's funeral, the music was unrelated to the liturgy. There seems no connection or relationship whatever between the operatic Ave Maria and the simultaneous speaking of the Cardinal Archbishop. (around 10 minutes in, at the Kyrie)
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Indeed, it is a little sad that Catholic [EF] liturgy cannot accommodate some of the gems of the Anglican treasury of anthems (for instance, things like Ireland's 'Greater Love', or a Te Deum or a Jubilate, etc.
    Fixed, if that's indeed what was meant.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Richard, while that is true, I don't think that's what the Honourable Member meant, but rather that the New Liturgy (Mass and Office) is so terse as to practically (if not rubrically) rule out the use of "long" music, that is, anything longer than the three-fold Easter Vigil Alleluia or Kyrie XVI is seen as unduly prolonging the Mass; at Evening Prayer, the Magnificat should be recited as quickly as possible to allow everyone to get to their dinner reservations: something as simple as the famous Mode VIII Lassus alternatim setting would be too much, let alone Collegium Regale!

Even something like the Ott Offertorium is useless now, we don't need the verses: The way the average priest says Mass, the offertory rite is finished before choir has completed the first melisma. When looking at works (vocal and instrumental) written as Offertoria, it is important to think about the context of the composition: an Offertoire from an Messe d'Orgue that today in the N.O. might seem to be four-times too long, probably perfectly fit the Offertory Rite of a Neo-Gallican Usage with an Offertory Procession used in a Religious House in 18th cent. Paris.
  • Indeed, it is a little sad that Catholic [EF] liturgy cannot accommodate some of the gems of the Anglican treasury of anthems (for instance, things like Ireland's 'Greater Love', or a Te Deum or a Jubilate, etc.

Jackson,

I've addressed this topic before, and been shouted down by people who thought I was being [rant interrupted]. Is there any place within the EF framework (Mass or otherwise) for such beautiful works?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Thank you, Salieri -
    and, in response to Richard and Chris -

I did not mean the EF only, but any use of the Roman rite. Gorgeous anthems such as the ones I cited above are too lengthy, and too powerful as works of art in themselves, to find a proper place within the Catholic mass. I would say the same of Mozart, et al., ordinaries (which, to my mind, are an abuse of both the EF and the OF). Much as we all love music, as church musicians we are bound to take pride in our music being a part of the liturgical flow, and not as sort of a 300 carat ring on some dowager's hand. Anthems or other music which stall or cause delay in the next 'wave' of the ritual flow are out of place totally. Oddly, it is the champions of the OF (though their musical taste often leaves much to be desired) who are likely to be sensitive to these principles. EF folk don't seem to mind at all waiting ten minutes for a Mozart Gloria or Sanctus. This gratuitous savagery of ritual pace speaks, I think, volumes about their true liturgical proclivities. There are, of course, those who would argue that such music was made for the mass of that time and vice versa. And I would respond that that is precisely what is/was wrong with both. The principles which I enunciate apply, to my mind, to all liturgy, all rites, and all uses.

The real beauty of the ritual music of the polyphonic era (or that which follows in its footsteps) is that it is, so it would seem, conceptually ceremonial in nature, has an ecclesiastical bearing and a spiritual sobriety that makes it an unarguable grace to any liturgy, any rite or use. After Monteverdi this all began to change, to go, in a word, 'downhill'. Modern equivalents, such as RVW's G-minor mass, are the exceptions. Like chant itself, this music simply 'fits' - in every sense of the word.
    Thanked by 1a_f_hawkins
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Any use? Of course I've heard of places where only a single verse of a metrical psalm is allowed for the Entrance, but we sing Greater Love and Boyce's Jubilate about once a year, and will do both Worthy is the Lamb and the Amen today.
  • CharlesW
    I just tell the pastor ahead of time, we are singing, "Up the Creek With Palestrina," today and it will be a little long. He always says, "fine." I find that informing him ahead of time prevents problems.
  • Charles,

You're advocating communication between/among liturgical officers. What a wonderful idea. [Please note the absolute lack of purple!]
    Thanked by 2CharlesW moderntrad
  • Richard -
    Good for you!
    I'm sorry I'm not there to hear it.

Actually, if one's offertory time allows for such works that is wonderful. Most Catholic offertories are relatively brief. But if one's clergy don't mind taking their time about receiving the gifts, censing the altar, saying their prayers and all, what could be better! In fact, they, too, should be pleased to finesse here and there.

It cannot be over-stressed that ritual is spontateous interplay betwixt all involved. This involves, nay, requires, mental engagement and deliberately responsive action from clergy, people (everyone of them!), choirs, cantors, choirmasters, organists, and all. Notice that this list does not include announcers and people who tell other people what to do, or when to do it. Their very involvement is a glaring and shameful indication that some or all don't know what they very well ought to know (or just won't do without prodding) and that the sacred ritual dance is broken.
  • @M.JacksonOsborn

Your insights are always well thought-out, and so I have a question regarding the following statement:

Anthems or other music which stall or cause delay in the next 'wave' of the ritual flow are out of place totally.

I am wondering what your thoughts are on singing full Graduals and Alleluias (Roman or Palmer) during the liturgy. I ask because I have been criticized for stopping the flow of the Mass by having them sung. My argument is that they are part of the ritual flow. Whether or not that is the case, if we could be ok with that sort of slowing of the rite, what would keep us from doing similar with a big(ish) piece, like the ones listed above? Any thoughts would be well appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Trad -

You are correct! The alleluia and its verse cannot be thought of as an added element which delays ritual action. It is an integral part of the ritual action, which should be conducted in such manner as to embrace it. There is no lack of ritual activity that can and should 'fill in' the time during which the alleluya responsory is sung. Walk ceremoniously, take one's time blessing incense, take profound footsteps in approaching the ambo and cense the gospel book with great reverential deliberation. It sounds to me as though your complainers, as is often the case, probably haven't much understanding of ritual gravitas. Anyone whose mind is on how long it ('it' being anything) takes has one's mind on the wrong thing and needs a course on what liturgy is and how to keep one's mind on making it a continuum of gorgeous worship.

It is good to try to sing the complete alleluya responsory from the Graduale or P-B, but if this really isn't going to be accepted in one's situation, there is no shame in opting for the AUG or something similar. If you do this, you might be able to get your clergy 'on board' for the Gregorian version at least on solemnities.

As for the graduals: they, too, can hardly be thought of as 'stopping the flow' when they (and, obviously, their performance) are an integral part, element, in that flow. Most nowadays, I think, do the psalm responsory rather that the gradual, so you are blessed that you are even permitted to sing the graduals. Like the alleluya and verse, though, if there is too much agitation over the time the Gregorian version takes, opt for a psalm tone version or something similar. Then, as with the alleluya and verse, perhaps you can be permitted the Gregorian version on solemnities. The graduals are amongst the most ancient and ecstatic chants, and frequently betray an oriental provenance. It's wonderful that you are trying to keep them alive!

And, as for doing a 'biggish piece' as an offertory, this, too, should be something that the 'flow' can be adjusted to accommodate. There is much that can take up time during the offertory rites, plus taking one's time in doing this 'much'. Certainly on a solemnity everything in the mass should be done as if one 'had all day' in the doing of it. Communication with clergy is essential for to have everyone dancing the sacred ritual dance together and in anticipation of each other's 'steps' - and 'everyone' includes an alert and engaged congregation, whose acts, too, are integral to the 'flow'.

At Walsingham's solemn high mass (every Sunday and Solemnity - including week-day solemnities) we always have a gospel procession, in which, with great ceremony, a procession (including crucifer [vested, Sarum style, in tunicle], torch bearers, boat boy, thuribler, deacon, and book bearer) forms in the chancel, and moves out from the chancel (through our new rood screen!) and into the nave to proclaim the gospel in the midst of the people. The time for us, then, is generous. Just this last Sunday (CtK) the alleluya verse was a thirteen bar polyphonic setting of Potestas eius that I had composed, which ended exactly when the gospel reached the people. As for the psalm, we do it in directum to Anglican chant.

I realise that everyone is not so blessed with clergy (including a bishop!) whose foremost concern is the beauty of liturgy - or, as we often say with the psalmist, to 'worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness'. This is fundamental to our Anglican heritage and patrimony.
  • A little addendum about Time -

All of us are at times conscious of time. This is natural. I speak not of getting somewhere 'on time', but of being aware of time whilst we are reading the lesson or the epistle, whilst we are playing a voluntary, whilst we are walking from one point to another in the sanctuary, singing a collect, any and all the little things that go into liturgy. It is difficult, sometimes, not to be aware of time, to be self-conscious that one is on display or that one is reading before three hundred souls. When we are thus distracted by the awareness of time, or awareness of our selves, is precisely when we should be forgetting about time, and our selves. The only thought should be the doing of whatever one is doing in a gracious and beautiful manner. If one really, really!, doesn't feel that one's reading is 'taking all day' one is reading too fast to do the reading proper oratorical justice and pierce the ears of all with its import. The same goes for any and every ritual act of every person in the church. Far from hurrying in order not to take up time, one should boldly take all the time it takes graciously to read, and glory in it. The same goes for walking in procession, singing a psalm by the cantor, carrying the gospel book to the ambo, or any other movement made in the ritual flow. All should be done as if time did not exist, as if one felt one was taking too much time, though in reality, he should be taking even more time. Hurry, even a tiny bit of hurry, is the enemy of prayer, of worship, of ritual, and certainly of being in communion with God. Those who are afraid of the time they are taking desperately need to learn how to forget time and to forget themselves in order that they may discover their true selves in their sacred acts. (And all of this goes not only for clergy, servers and acolytes, lectors, cantors, choirmasters, and all, but also for each and every member of the congregation.)
  • Thank you!

The timing of this thread was almost providential - a few very good friends of mine and I were having this discussion not long ago - one of them, coming from a "Low-Mass" culture (but is surely recovering!) and who happens to be one of the chief MCs for the parish, had the above criticism for me. The others all sing with me. It made for a lively conversation, to say the least. One day while he was making his opinion known to his wife (who also sings in our choir), she stopped him and said, "If you were praying, then you wouldn't be annoyed at the length of the Gradual and Alleluia!" He has since rethought his stance on the issue!

On the other hand, our parish has very little acoustic value, and, as a result, I feel some obligation to stress to the schola just how important attention to detail is, so that we don't become a cross for the congregation to bear.

I am very lucky to work for a pastor who is so open to the growth of the music program - to the point that we even have a daily Traditional Missa Cantata during the week. I can't think of another diocesan parish that does that. He was skeptical, at first, of the full G and A propers, but has since come around.

MJO - thank you, again, for your response.
  • sorry for the rabbit hole!
  • Regarding the Gradual and Alleluia, if arguing, I would assert that the fact that they do "hold up" the action is especial grounds for singing these particular propers in full: because a shortened version will not give the same flow as the delay-causing full version as given by the liturgical chant books, which is what the church desires to have sung.

Which consideration not being present with the other propers of the Mass, you could even argue that it ought to be a higher priority to sing the full gradual and alleluia, than to sing the full introit, offertory or communion.
    Thanked by 1moderntrad
  • As Dr. Mahrt is fond of reminding us, the Alleluia is supposed to be an anticipation of the Gospel. A longer anticipation creates greater joy at the eventual coming. I think the ancients were on to something with the Gradual and Alleluia: anticipation, but not so long people forget what they're waiting for.
    Thanked by 2moderntrad CHGiffen
  • Liam
    I think of the Alleluia as an elaboration of the response of the disciples in Emmaus would have had if they had their theophany from the start of their encounter with our Lord on the road....
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    All this is well and good. However, in many parishes, the Sunday Masses are separated by 2 hours and there is a need to finish 'on time' to allow people to visit after Mass, leave, and the next group get in. Please don't get me wrong. I agree with MJO on this, and think the Mass should be as long as it needs to be.
  • Ah yes. The drive-thru faith.
  • Liam
    No, drive-through is when the Mass schedule is nearly hourly....
  • Ah yes. The drive-thru faith.

The purpose of which is to get as many people through the doors as possible on Sundays. Of course, this has the added benefit of the potential increase in collections, but that's none of my business.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    No, with a shortage of huge churches capable of seating over a thousand, this is the way the Church has to do things to allow the largest number of the faithful to attend Mass. I am amazed at the lack of Christian charity on nominally Catholic fora.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Liam
    "I am amazed at the lack of Christian charity on nominally Catholic fora."

The Internet as a medium invites a lowering of inhibitions that way.
  • I am amazed at the lack of Christian charity on nominally Catholic fora.

Tu quoque, bhcordova. What did you mean by "drive thru faith," then?
  • Liam
    It was not bhcordova who deployed that phrase.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I invoked the phrase because to me it describes a scheduling scheme which has ultimate power over how the mass is celebrated.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • So anyway, some parishes blessed with multiple buildings have the ability to shuffle the post-liturgical social gathering off away from the sanctuary.

Drive-thrus may increase collections, but at what cost?
  • CharlesW
    The alternative to "drive thru" is building a church large enough to seat everyone at the same time. Who has that kind of money? We don't. We take a 400 seat sanctuary and use it 5 times on Sundays. If we were the large Baptist church to the west of us, we would do what they did. Construct a 2,000 seat building and pay cash for it. Yes, it was numerous millions of dollars.
  • @Liam, thank you. I stand corrected. @bhcordova, my apologies. @Continuousbass, thank you for clarifying.

I invoked the phrase because to me it describes a scheduling scheme which has ultimate power over how the mass is celebrated.

Exactly. I was elaborating on the possible causes underlying it. For example, what does it matter to which Catholic parish people go for Mass? If there are three parishes serving a city, why does it specifically matter if people go to parish A instead of parish B or C? I bring this up because my experience as a DM and teacher at now two Catholic schools that pastors are very concerned about keeping people coming to their specific parish. The only difference I can see, from the administrative perspective, is whether or not they get the possibility of that person's money in the collection. Again, from my own experience, pastors are very concerned about losing parishioners to the other Catholic church down the road. Why? My theory is that, based on what the parish would lose if people left it to go to another Catholic parish, the money would go with the people. I'm not convinced that pastors would be too worked up about losing parishioners who are readers or ushers, since they can be easily replaced by someone else who wants to "participate." However, they can't easily replace the money that may go with them. I've even heard a bishop say it, "You have to keep the donors happy." He said this in a meeting I was a part of regarding a parish capital project that included my pastor and the director of the office of worship for the diocese. If parishioners leave parish A and go to parish B, parish A doesn't get their money anymore, parish B does.

Of course, all of this is part of my attempt to answer the burning question: why are Gregorian chant and Latin no longer permitted by many priests at the parish level? What are they afraid of? What are the motivations behind it? The answers given by the priests I've asked have been noncommittal and seemed like they were avoiding the question and trying to brush the topic aside. This tells me that those are the kinds of questions we SHOULD be asking: if someone doesn't want to give you a straight answer, or their answers don't make sense, or they don't want to answer questions about a topic, then they are likely hiding something. I still maintain, however, that the musical and liturgical situations in the Church are not the main problems in and of themselves: they are symptoms of a much larger issue. I think that issue is the view of the Mass as being chiefly a gathering of people, and not primarily the sacrifice of Christ on Calvary. Please don't misunderstand me: I believe the Mass still contains a true and propitiatory sacrifice. I do, however, think that the sacrifice has become secondary to the gathering of the congregation in liturgical planning, preparation, and execution, as well as in the administrative governance of the parish environment.

The alternative to "drive thru" is building a church large enough to seat everyone at the same time. Who has that kind of money? We don't. We take a 400 seat sanctuary and use it 5 times on Sundays.

"Drive-thru" has a negative connotation: it implies an attitude of quantity over quality. I have no problems with re-using church space during the weekend, and I acknowledge that in many cases, if not most cases, it is actually required in order that the parishioners can fulfill their Sunday obligations: you can't have the building so full that you have to turn people away at the door. However, the "drive-thru" mentality places the quantity of people over the quality of the liturgy. Some examples include: "I don't want Gregorian chant because it's too long," "stop the music as soon as you see I'm ready," "I shouldn't have to wait for the music to finish," "I've re-arranged the order of the offertory procession so that I can shave a few minutes off the Mass," "I don't want the choir singing motets, because those pieces take up too much time after Communion," "the choir is no longer allowed to sing after Communion, because we need to move on," "I'll never use EP 1 because it's too long," etc. Quantity over quality.
  • (Bishop says) ...you have to keep the donors happy...

Such sagacity and spiritual acumen is truly astounding. Wasn't this, after all, a prime concern of our Lord, who spoke so often of accommodating the rich?

I started to put this in purple, but, unfortunately, it is an all-too-common working hypothesis - and isn't funny.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Time was, 60 years ago, when the London parish in which I was baptised would have the final, midday, mass with the forecourt half full of men who could not get into the church, rain or shine. The doors would be open, and popular theory was that if you could see someone who could see the altar, you were fulfilling your obligation. That was a predominantly Irish community.
    Encouragingly, there is a newly aquired church now, a mile and a half down the road, with a Polish community (including clergy) which accomodates its 5000 congregation with 8 masses spaced out every 90 minutes (skipping 4pm) from 8:30am to 8:30pm.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • eft94530eft94530
    General Instruction of the Roman Missal (2002)

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20030317_ordinamento-messale_en.html

50. When the Entrance chant is concluded, the priest stands at the chair and, together with the whole gathering, makes the Sign of the Cross. Then he signifies the presence of the Lord to the community gathered there by means of the Greeting. By this Greeting and the people’s response, the mystery of the Church gathered together is made manifest.

74. The procession bringing the gifts is accompanied by the Offertory chant (cf. no. 37b), which continues at least until the gifts have been placed on the altar. The norms on the manner of singing are the same as for the Entrance chant (cf. no. 48). Singing may always accompany the rite at the offertory, even when there is no procession with the gifts.

86. While the priest is receiving the Sacrament, the Communion chant is begun. Its purpose is to express the communicants’ union in spirit by means of the unity of their voices, to show joy of heart, and to highlight more clearly the “communitarian” nature of the procession to receive Communion. The singing is continued for as long as the Sacrament is being administered to the faithful. If, however, there is to be a hymn after Communion, the Communion chant should be ended in a timely manner.
  • The procession bringing the gifts is accompanied by the Offertory
    chant...

Does this not mean that the 'Offertory chant' is obligatory? Further, since the only 'Offertory chant' is the one in the GR, that would mean that it was expected (as in required) to be sung - I would assume either as in the GR or in translation and/or to other appropriate music. Whatever other music is sung, then, is sung in addition to the required Offertory chant. - But, I suspect that the places at which the Offertory chant is sung are relatively few.

One of the lovely things about Ordinariate liturgy is that all the propers are required at every mass. The translation used is that of Palmer-Burgess with some tweeking here and there.
  • Yes, even V2 fully expected Gregorian chant to still be sung. I think a lot of it has to do with Protestants and Protestant converts complaining that they "can't understand" the words of the Latin, and they "can't sing chant" because it's nothing like the strophic, common melody hymns they were used to singing; coupled also with their idea that they were supposed to be singing with the music, again as they were used to doing.

The problem is that in the GIRM, many bishops and priests can argue that chant is not obligatory at all because there are 4 lights options. The issue with that argument is that when the provisions of SC are combined with what appears in the GIRM, those "options" aren't really options at all, they are preferences. SC states the following:

116. The Church acknowledges Gregorian chant as specially suited to the
    Roman liturgy: therefore, other things being equal, it should be given pride of
    place in liturgical services.

We see this reflected in the GIRM, where the first preference given is the Gregorian chant from the Graduale Romanum. The second preference is Gregorian chant from the Graduale Simplex. Both of the first two preferences can be chosen at will, according to the capabilities of the schola, because THEY DON'T REQUIRE PERMISSION FROM THE BISHOP. The third preference is a Responsorial Psalm type of song, and the fourth preference, which in my view is really just a contingency in case none of the previous three were really possible or viable in a given parish somewhere, and is one which we are all so very familiar with, is the "other appropriate song," which is the one most widely used today. The third and fourth preferences cannot be chosen at will because THEY REQUIRE PERMISSION FROM THE BISHOP. Now, we all know that nobody in the USA has ever gotten such permission, mostly because I'm not entirely sure anyone has ever asked for it, therefore the bishops have never had any reason to give it nor even consider it. I would think it very difficult to find any diocese in the USA where the bishop, even a previous bishop, has ever given permission for the third or fourth preferences to be used. We also all know that even without the supposedly required permission, priests and bishops use the fourth preference almost exclusively.

As has been mentioned here before, it is highly likely that the fourth preference was egregiously abused in the years following the Council and the issue of the GIRM in order to promote a more secular musical agenda; specifically, to promote the folk style that was popular at the time.

N.B.: There's a Star Trek reference in there somewhere. Props if you got it.
  • Clerget -
    Not at all to question your quite lucid estimation that many Protestant converts have exercised a negative influence on Catholic worship. However, I know not a few Catholics (some of whom grew up with chant!) who absolutely detest Gregorian chant and Latin. All of the (horribly misinformed) 'that's not Vatican II' people are not of Protestant origin. I dare say that most of them are very nasty Catholics. Betwixt the ex-Protestants and the un-Catholic Catholics we have a potent force, potent because too many priests and functionaries take such people very seriously when, verily, they should pay them no mind at all.

On the other hand, there are not a few Protestants who like Gregorian chant and Latin more than many Catholics do. Some, particularly Anglicans, treasure it as part of our Christian heritage, or as a badge of honour which says 'we are Catholic, too', and so forth. One would be surprised at what very very Catholic piety and belief may be found in large numbers of Protestants of all varieties. I have known numbers of Lutherans who invoke the saints, pray for the dead, and believe in transubstantiation - all of which are anathema to orthodox Lutheran teaching.

This is, indeed, a very complex matter. We cannot escape the reality that no one was holding a gun to the heads of those who wrecked Catholic liturgy and music after the council. These were men bent on putting an end to what they saw as the ancient regime which they despised. No music, no klutzy liturgy, no watering down of faith and morals would have happened at all if the bishops and priests had not asked for it, or were very willing accomplices - or stood by and deliberately did nothing - and that includes 'Rome'. This perversion of Vatican II was shoveled down our throats (though many of us have yet to swallow it, nor will we ever) by our own people. No one can blame the Protestants for it.
  • Liam
    MJO

No. "Chant" doesn't exclude other songs. The attempt to read "chant"/"cantus" to exclusively refer to the propers was tried and failed 5 years ago. And there can be no music at all (in fact, if there is music, the priest prays the preparation prayers in a quiet voice; if there is none, he prays them in a regular voice).
  • a_f_hawkins
    nobody in the USA has ever gotten such permission
    What GIRM permits, in the USA, is selection at will of a text that has been approved by the diocesan bishop, or by USCCB. I have been told, I think on this forum, that it is enough that one US bishop has approved, (and that LTP is approved).
    In England, on the other hand, there is nothing licit in English, as far as I know, except the 1968 ICEL GS, as the bishops have completely ducked their responsibility. This makes no difference in practice. (Perhaps it could be argued that the office hymns in DO are liturgically approved.)
  • This doesn't reflect on you at all, but I think that the notion that perhaps one bishop somewhere in the US approved it at some time or another means ipso facto, it is approved for all dioceses in the US, it quite a stretch and is not at all what was meant by "permission from the local ordinary." It is a very liberal interpretation to say that the "local ordinary" is any bishop in your country.
  • Liam
    What the US bishops did was delegate to the ordinaries of the jurisdiction of publication (like the Abp of Portland in Oregon, the Apb of Chicago, the Bp of St Cloud, et cet.) to do that. This all went into a black hole in the last decade, when Rome stopped implementing LA to the letter. The long-sought silver bullet to "fix" it is illusory.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • I'm not familiar with LA; what is it?
  • ghmus7
    All this comment about "drive through" reminds me if a Lutheran churc I worked fir that had a drive in service. People would drive up to the back of the church and tune their car radios to the church station where they would hear the service and sermon, them communion was served to them in their cars. Not kidding.
  • People would drive up to the back of the church and tune their car radios to the church station where they would hear the service and sermon, them communion was served to them in their cars.

On rollerskates?
  • Forgive me for trying to tie this all up in a sentence or two.

Romeo and Juliet.

West Side Story and all the other paraphrased versions movies based on R & J.

The Latin Mass

The Novus Ordo Mass and all the other paraphrased and personalized versions of it.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • a_f_hawkins
    Liam, are you referring to this?
    LA 108. Sung texts and liturgical hymns have a particular importance and efficacy. ... Within five years from the publication of this Instruction, the Conferences of Bishops, necessarily in collaboration with the national and diocesan Commissions and with other experts, shall provide for the publication of a directory or repertory of texts intended for liturgical singing. This document shall be transmitted for the necessary recognitio to the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
    It looks to me like the silver bullet, but alas there is no gun, since after 15 years nothing visible has happened in England. I would much rather Card. Sarah had pursued this fundamental question of words used in the liturgy than choice beteen orientations. legem credendi lex statuat supplicandi
  • eft94530eft94530
    Clerget: LA; what is it?

Liturgiam Authenticam (2001)

CDWDS
    Fifth Instruction for the Right Implementation of the
    Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy

On the Use of Vernacular Languages in the Publication of the Books of the Roman Liturgy

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20010507_liturgiam-authenticam_en.html
  • JahazaJahaza
    I've addressed this topic before, and been shouted down by people who thought I was being [rant interrupted]. Is there any place within the EF framework (Mass or otherwise) for such beautiful works?

Yes, you can sing a Te Deum by, for example, holding a Te Deum service.