Aussie Update and question about psalm 91
  • JesJes
    Okay so you vegemite lovers. https://www.facebook.com/vegemite/videos/10150706889729987/

Meanwhile in the brown sunburnt country, Melbourne had large hail stones fall during a 23 degree (celsius) day in spring... It came through the roof and landed on the organ I play on :( So I have tarped the thing up. It's snug now. (Photo attached) Thanks to the Americans who taught me some scout knots in time for Christus Rex Cheers!

Also. I have just completed my masters for those that wanted to know about this galah.

Does anybody have music for Psalm 91? English or Latin, no wukkas about which.

Signing out from the dinky die!
  • You crack me up. Do you think you could have been just a tad more aussie? :-)
  • We all may just have to start making pointed use
    of 'wukkas' in our speech - after learning what a wukka is.
    It sounds like an interesting logism to throw around.
    Thanked by 1moderntrad
  • JesJes
    I didn't even mention snags!!!

No Wukkas means no worries.
    Believe it or not I genuinely speak like I this at home. Drives my friends nuts.
    It's a running gag that I'm the bogan organist.
    Bogan/redneck are same thing FYI
  • Jes,

Not meaning to be unhelpful, but what is the text you're trying to set? Psalm 91 could refer to two distinct texts, so if you could provide the first words, that would be helpful.

• No wukkas = no worries.
    I'm glad to know that it doesn't mean 'no problem' - we are (at least, I am) sick of this ubiquitous bit of thoughtless and crude street patois up here... every time someone says 'no problem' to me I'm tempted to retort 'oh drat, I was hoping it would be'.

Back to 'wukka' - what is its etymology? (If it has one.)
  • a_f_hawkins
    Alas for those of us with linguistic sensitivty, it is a spoonerism 'no wucking furries' with added (typical) aussie abbreviation. I suppose (as an Englishman) it is our fault for exporting too many of our citizens who spoke thieves cant.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • JesJes
    Chris actually quite helpful.
    It is good to give thanks to the lord to make music to your name o most high.

No wukkas is actually an aboriginal term coined a bit like how Africaans formed from a mix of languages our slang does too.

And afhawkins does actually suggest something that is widely regarded as truth by the settling population but is not really the reason, it is often mistaken for that though. It's not considered a swear word despite that consideration. High class people adopted it as being sort of taboo because of this standard but it is never used to mean something dirty or cursing like a swear word and sorry yes it's generally used as a yes no problem, no worries, all is satisfactory regardless. No worries is a statement used all the time no prob is used more for no problem and is more affirmative no worries is lackadaisical. People who say no problem are considered saggy because they use the whole word and there tends to be a problem despite them saying it. No wukkas is more genuine and less rigid because there could be a slight problem but it won't worry you and shouldn't worry the other.
  • a_f_hawkins
    I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internet, my apologies for spreading confusion. I do know that etymology is a minefield. Round here 'no problem' is an empty phrase used, for example by a waiter who has just brought you your meal, in response to 'thank you'.
  • a_f_hawkins
    Back to the original question: Are you looking for something more than Gelineau formula V 55 (mode 6 I think)? I assume Grail translation is still legit for you.
  • JesJes
    Thanks yeah, if kids can sing it then I'm keen.
    If genineau exists I'll ask my mate for his gelineau book thanks.