Veni Creator Spiritus
  • rogue63
    https://youtu.be/pL2Y21J-nfU

My setting of the Veni Creator. Odd verses polyphonic, even verses monophonic chant. All original. The verse 7 Gloria is in progress for a more dramatic final ending. This is from a performance in May 2016. Comments welcome---enjoy!
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    I learned to hate this song during confirmation one year. We had confirmation for 4 different parishes at our church. We sang Veni Sancte Sprite over and over and over until all the confirmands had received the sacrament. Over 100 people! I sing bass in choir. The bass line is one note. Have you ever tried to sing a one note phrase over and over and over and over? And the note was a low e below the bass clef.
  • ronkrisman
    The Veni Creator Spiritus (a hymn) is not the Veni Sancte Spiritus (a sequence). And I think bhcordova is not referring to either of them but rather the Taizé ostinato.
  • rogue63
    Hmmm...I was hoping that posting this would generate some more positive discussion. I hope it's not too late!
  • Okay,

I give you points for starting with the polyphony; it is my understanding that this is the proper way to do it.

Why the non-standard melody for the chant?

Does it have parallel fifths / octaves or no?

The accent sounded on the wrong syllable for "Paráclito".
  • rogue63
    Chant melody is mine; original. Matches key and style of polyphonic verses.

Handful of places with parallels; 2nd measure has 4ths between alto and bass; I'm considering a rewrite. Other parallels are quite small and not obtrusive---in fact part of the soundscape.

Wrong syllable on Paraclito? Please explain.