Versets on Credo III, Gloria VIII
  • Hey guys,

Could anyone point me to versets or a brief introductory verse on Credo III and/or Gloria VIII? Something on the themes of the incipits. I am aware that these sorts of things are often improvised and, while I could improv, I prefer to have something more solid at my disposal. Thanks in advance.
  • TrentonJconn,

For the uninitiated, could you explain what you mean?
  • chonakchonak
    I think trentonjconn would like an organ introduction to play before Credo III, and one for G8.
  • That's what I thought he meant, but that raises a new question: aside from an incipit, what introduction is necessary or advisable?

Ok, so it's probably done in France, at the Society chapels.
    Ok, so it's probably done in sections of the Ordinariate.
    On the other hand, how many places (beyond EF world) sing the Credo or the Gloria?

Thanked by 1Ben
  • chonakchonak
    Anglo-Catholics, perhaps in English translation.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • BenBen
    trentonjconn, in most situations, I'd just recommend playing the first phras for the cantor to intone.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    For the record, I work in an exclusively OF parish that is split about 80-20 between Spanish speakers and English speakers. Our Spanish liturgies are almost exclusively in the vernacular, but we sing Credo III and Gloria VIII lustily at our English language liturgies on a regular basis.

BUT: I don't usually give even a pitch before the celebrant intones each chant. We sing them accompanied.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    In the EF the celebrant needs to walk from the place where the homily is given to the altar, put his maniple or maniple and chasuble back on, etc... this is a good and sensible time for some organ improvisation on the beginning of the Credo.
  • Matthew,

It's also an opportunity for the organist to demonstrate that he listened to the sermon.
  • SalieriSalieri
    It's also an opportunity for the organist to demonstrate that he listened to the sermon.

By improvising over a ground based on the first words of the sermon? (My Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ: E-flat(me) D B-flat A B-natural(Si) C)
  • No, silly. If he preaches on our constant need to turn again to Our Lord, a quiet play-through of that memorable tune to Wilt thou forgive, of John Donne; if he preaches on the glories of the papal office, Tu es petrus.....

[This part only in purple]: If he preaches on the greatness of St. Francis of Assisi, Sebastian Temple's Make me a channel of your peace
  • GerardH
    trentonjconn, I believe I may actually have something like what you're after. Problem is I can't seem to locate the book, nor can I remember the composer.

It is a collection of French organ masses - the kind which are now forbidden - where the organ would alternate versets with the choir so that only half of the chant was sung. From memory it did have Mass VIII, although the key was rather high. I don't recall there being a Credo.

You might just have to sit tight. When I find the book I can return and let you know details.