Creating a Hermeneutic of Continuity in an OF Nuptial Mass
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    I've been thinking about my wedding liturgy, which is unofficially about a year and a half away, but I'm a nerd and like planning these things out. I'm planning on having an OF liturgy in large part because I prefer the options for the proper prayers and prefaces, but I want to create as much of a hermeneutic of continuity with the EF Nuptial Rite and Mass as possible because I love that form as well. Thus I'm going to have everything in Latin except the readings, intercessions, and those parts that have traditionally been in the vernacular in the EF.

Anyways, my question is what specific parts of the EF Nuptial Rite were in the vernacular? It appears that the giving of consent, vows, rings, is all in the vernacular, but I look at Sancta Missa, which has this: http://www.sanctamissa.org/en/resources/books-1962/rituale-romanum/66-matrimony-instruction.html What is this? Where does it go? Is there something corresponding in the OF that I should accordingly keep in the vernacular? Perhaps the initial pre-collect greeting? Or the instruction immediately proceeding the questions for the consent? (See pp. 10, 15 here:https://www.litpress.org/Products/GetSample/4641/9780814646410)

Also, following the reception of the consent, there's a "V. Benedicamus Domino. R. Deo Gratias" (see page 18 of the sample linked directly above) that may be replaced by another acclamation. Could the "V. Lord, hear my prayer. R. And let my cry come unto thee" or even the longer "V. Confirm, O God, what Thou hast wrought in us. R. From Thy holy temple in Jerusalem." be placed there instead?

Many thanks.
  • BenBen
    Looking back at the video of our EF wedding, the initial instruction, the vows, and the prayer for the placement of rings were in english. In other words, the part where the bride and groom are directly spoken to, involved or must respond. The blessing of rings, versicles and responses, and everything else was in latin.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    So is the monologue of the bishop at the very beginning an "Exhortation before Marriage" such as is linked to on Sancta Missa? Does this roughly equate to the initial greeting, or to the words directly before the questions before the consent? Does the priest just write them up beforehand in the EF?
  • BenBen
    Yes, you're correct (I misspoke, meant "exhortation" not "instruction").

The OF is far more wordy (too wordy, imo) than the EF, so at least from my memory (not having the OF ritual book in front of me), I'm not sure there's a clear parallel.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • There's also a hymn or canticle of praise which may be sung after the exchange of rings. The Confirma hoc could be sung then.
    Thanked by 1Vilyanor
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Ahhh, that clears it up, thank you! Yeah, it seems like it could correspond to either one or neither.

I overlooked that, thanks Clemens!
  • chonakchonak
    Shouldn't we arrange to have someone's wedding during Colloquium Week some year?
  • Bill,

While I'm praying for a Brexit-like up-ending of the status quo: a novena to St. Jude for our country, your quip makes me return to this question: will the Colloquium even be allowed to take place, next year, if the wedding you propose isn't between members of two favored groups?
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Shouldn't we arrange to have someone's wedding during Colloquium Week some year?

If the Colloquium were to take place in Omaha next year, I'd volunteer :D