Heaven on Earth - Musically
  • Each of us could likely name several pieces without thinking about it that ought surely to be exceeded in holy joy only by what lies ahead for us in the heavenly realms. Some of mine might be Tallis' puer natus mass, RVW's mass in g-minor, certain moments of Palestrina's sound world, and so on.

My choice for this week, though (and it changes with great regularity), is Quoniam tu solus and et cum Spiritus Sanctus from Bach's B-Minor mass. The tu solus must surely exhibit one of the most droll but joyously meditative orchestrations in the entire literature. The bass soloist is accompanied only by an obligatto horn with two bubbling bassoons and cello as fellow travelers. The result is a sober hilarity, a compelling acclamation of Christ as Pantocrator, the great basileus, serene and regal in his sway. The following et cum Spiritus Sanctus can surely be bettered as the ecstatic portrayal of unbounded and endless joy only by those souls who do live in the presence of God. Youtube offers several superb perfomances. My favourites at the moment are by the Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin, and that of Jordi Saval. That of the Bach Collegium Japan is not bad. The Thomanerchor Leipzig is pretty good, presenting the men and boys who would have constituted Bach's sound world.

Does anyone have other ideas?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • what lays ahead

Jackson,

Surely, it lies ahead.

• Chris -
    Fixed.
    He who writes 'lies' when he should have writ 'lays'
    will have no lays sungen to his non existent grammatical prowess,
    which, now given the lie to, lies low.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • francis
    indeed, Bach takes the whole cake in my mind, but this one in particular is right close to the pearlies... performance a bit rushed here and there at times, but still a wonderful excitement and drive toward the resolution of continued harmonic question and answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAXtePMQEc

then there is this... and this performance is absolutely stunning. I often play this as a postlude, manuals alone on the 8' principal or flute. It presses people into an austere mystical place and simply invites silence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbM3VTIvOBk
  • Fit examples, Francis!
    My favourite recording of Der Kunst is by Fretwork, who play viols. To me, the viol is more satisfying than the violin, which really rose to preeminence during Bach's lifetime. Not too long before his maturity the violin was considered a vulgar street instrument. Do you know the viol consort works of John Jenkins and H Purcell? Like much of Bach's oeuvre, these are purely cerebral - and! very 'old-fashioned'.

Pity it is that 'cerebral' more or less went out of fashion with Bach - except for some choice Beethoven and some chamber music literature. Not given their due as 'cerebralists' are the great late mediaeval and pre-renaissance polyphonists! who I like to think were the Bruckners of their age.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    MJO

Can you point us to some online performances which you highlight?
  • francis
    It occurs to me that I failed to mention sacred music, which is above all, the best of all, which is, of course, the chant itself, and the works of polyphony of which we have hundreds. For me it is quite difficult to pick a favorite, but of polyphony which belongs to the Mass, of course Palestrina is right up there.

In the chant repertoire, certainly this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klddb5e70-c

I conducted this last November with an adult and childrens schola and duplicated the organ accompaniment as heard here, and it was truly an experience close to heaven on earth... and right along with that same liturgical theme, the Litany of the Saints is one of my all time favorites (in Latin of course)

Oh and Improperium...
  • Can you point us...

Francis -
    I'm not skilled at providing these blue links and other impressive internet stuff which the rest of you are so talented at doing. I seem to have stopped buying and listening to CDs (of which I have hundreds) and simply look up any and everything I wish to hear on Youtube. The works I mention up above here can be found on Youtube.

You are right about chant. It is in a class by itself. It is uniquely sacred, uniquely spiritual. And, it has such a long history. It has come a very great distance in time from that of the pre-Carolingian cantors, who likely would have snickered loudly at what is called by some 'the Solesmes method' - not to mention some of that method's predecessor 'methods'. That's really not meant to be a dig. Since roughly after the XIth and XIIth centuries right up to right now chant has lost almost all aesthetical relationship with early chant - that of the highly trained cantors even of pre-Gregorian times up to the time of the Frankish notations. We are just beginning to get an idea of the vast alteration of chant mentality since the post Carolingian eras - and that through the study of those 'squiggles' (that aren't 'squiggles' at all!) that were made by Frankish monk-scholars.

One of the noblest utterances of the IInd Vatican council was that regarding the aptness of chant to the Roman rite. And amongst the ignoblest of behaviours following the council was the contemptuous disregard of those admonitions. It is, indeed, an act of fundamental, objective, ignobility to scorn our heritage of liturgical chant.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • francis
    and what about THIS! (sorry to hog this thread, but you got me digging)

https://www.google.com/search?q=couperin+lesne&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

viols that MJO has mentioned. I believe they are a fretted instrument, hence very little or no vibrato. sort of the pure tone singing of the strings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwC_pihGg-I

ah yes... the info on the viol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viol
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Francis -
    '...THIS!'

is Scintillating.
    The French tongue is amongst the world's most spiritually beautiful -
    even if it's naught but a grocery list.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    Lesne is captivating... he enters en solo at 4:08
  • My musical heaven-on-earth is the Corelli Sonata Da Chiesa (Church Sonata) Opus 5 No. 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLqosexD-pU
    In class we heard Corelli did these flourishy things with his violin... very improvised. So to me it has the energy of being transformed from a very brief melodic outline to something that can tell the story of human emotions, that particularly belongs in church.
    What about Bach? Magnificat. Here's the soothing and meditative scrolling score: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Oeq12zjZk
  • Thanks, Continuousbass, for that recording of Bach's Magnificat. I think that it must be the most perfect Magnificat ever composed. Pure genius is evident in every syllable. It proceeds as something that was written as if by dictation from heaven itself. Thanks, too, for the ecstatic recording of the Corelli!
  • The Durufle Requiem comes to mind for polyphony. For chant, there will always be a special place for Mitte Manum Tuam, since it was the first Proper I ever sang with a schola. I would also list Gaudeamus omnes in Domino, Terra Tremuit, and Puer natus est nobis (this one was the first Proper I had ever heard in my life, and Christmas is my favorite liturgical season).
  • ghmus7
    Well, y'all certainly have good taste. As long as there are places like Fontgombault and music like Bach, there is still hope for the world.
    My favorites this week:
    1. B Minor Mass, any bit, but especially the Kyrie.
    2. Mozart Ave Verum.
    3. Bach O Mensch Bewein - (modestly, I put forth my recording here:) https://youtu.be/xN3wn9VJEZw
    4. Chant: In Splendoribus (just a current favorite)
    5. Ave Maria Franz Biebl (in the original TTBB version!)
    6. Missa Orbis Factor - the first chant Mass I heard, and it 'baptized my imagination' (C. S. Lewis)

Just a note of the mention of Bach and Palestrina. Bach knew Palestrina's music and orchestrated one of his masses for use at. St. Thomas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Being able to perform or even practice these kinds of works can bring you in close to the inspiration that guided the composers.
  • Sacred polyphony with period instruments was and remains a revelation to my ears; it seems the aural analogue of polychrome statuary.

Here are three examples, listed in the order I discovered them:

1. Victoria, O magnum mysterium, Jordi Savall rendition
    https://youtu.be/HE-3vOqRrgE

2. Victoria, Salve Regina a 8, Paul McCreesh rendition
    https://youtu.be/L8hZ2hr69Sc (a more relaxed tempo than other renditions I have heard; bonus: lute!)

3. Ortiz, Alma redemptoris mater a 6, Marco Mencoboni rendition
    https://youtu.be/iVT9sxyr2I0 (listen for the cornetto beginning at 3:57; stop the video at 7:29 to enjoy the fullness of the silence and to avoid the applause that breaks it)
  • Excruciating offerings, Aristotle -
    During the Ortiz I could not help but think, 'did the baroque really just have to happen?'.
    Clearly an aesthetic had reached, perhaps, its greatest possible heights,
    an eventuality that seems ineluctably to happen throughout our cultural history.

Many thanks for your 'heaven on earth' offerings.
  • Blaise
    O magnum mysterium as set by Morten Lauridsen. (Sorry, no YouTube links tonight, as it is currently 00:30 where I live, and I consequently need to go to bed.)

I will say that I am a major fan of both sacred as well as secular choral works by Lauridsen. The above setting is very exquisite.
  • ronkrisman
    Heaven on earth? Psalm 150 from Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms.
  • Ooh, that's a good one, Father! I'm partial to Arvo Pärt's Missa Syllabica.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    To an untenable question a measured and somewhat literal answer:
    "Sanctus" of Faure "Requiem."

NEW CATEGORY:
    Earth on Earth (human) Exquisite Beauty

Adagio for String Quartet, Barber.

Runners up- Unanswered Question (Ives); Aire (JSBach); "Et in terra pax" Gloria (Vivaldi); Ave Maris Stella (Kverno); Death and Transfiguration (R.Strauss.)
  • Liam
    Apropos JS Bach only:

Of his sacred music: the final chorus and ensuing chorale of the St John Passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arrA7DBmeNI

Of his non-sacred music: the Aria of the Goldberg Variations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIWMg7wyQM

• CharlesW
    I attended a wedding as a child where they sang the Franck Psalm 150. Huge choir and well over 100 ranks of organ. My eyes were wide the whole time. That is still one of my all time favorite pieces. Wish I had the huge organ and choir to do it.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Immense thanks, Chaswjd, for the offering of McCreesh's Sarum mass. If I were only allowed one CD that might be the one. But, the varied and bejeweled riches of our musical patrimony are such that any such choosing would be absolute torture - similar, I should think, to choosing betwixt one's children.

The gorgeous thing about this Sarum re-enactment is the studied and on-going contrasts betwixt plainchant and polyphony, and even when the boys do and don't add their treble voices to the chant. I think that our late mediaeval forebears must have exploited this dramatic element quite purposefully, for it seems to happen at points of ritual progress from one emotional state to the next.

And, in the example you give, there is that tower bell ringing - yet another poignant and prayerful liturgical expression announcing to all the world that Christ is now present on this altar. I nearly weep every time I hear it. Why do we not do this still, today? I'll eschew comment on that because I'm trying not to waste any more words and thought on what is not admirable than would have a possible constructive reception. (Come to think of it, I think that I shall mention this to Bishop Lopes and Fr Hough - perhaps we'll start ringing the tower bell at the elevation at Walsingham.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Even without any text at all, listening to this moves me to tears..

http://www1.cpdl.org/wiki/images/3/32/Omnes_Sancti_Seraphim.mp3.mp3
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MarkS
    And, in the example you give, there is that tower bell ringing - yet another poignant and prayerful liturgical expression announcing to all the world that Christ is now present on this altar. I nearly weep every time I hear it. Why do we not do this still, today?

The Episcopal church that I serve does it every time we celebrate Mass—the custom is not dead! (Although I'm always ready with the tower chimes in case a new usher misses his cue!)
  • MarkS -
    Ah, yes: leave it to the Episcopalians, eh?
    Even Thomas Merton urged his Anglican friends to preserve things that Catholics were willy-nilly tossing out the door. It boggles the mind!

By the way: what Episcopal parish do you serve, and where is it?
  • MarkS
    Mr. Osborn—

Christ Episcopal Church in Guilford, CT—a lovely shoreline Connecticut community a couple of towns east of New Haven.
  • Mark -
    How blessed you are!
    I would love to call such a place home.
    Is Christ Church a truly Anglo-Catholic, Oxford Movement parish?
    Since you ring the bell at the elevation, do you bury the Alleluya during Lent???
    What sort of organ do you have.

By the way, for any of our forumites who don't know and may have wondered, the ubiquitous 'Christ Church' in Anglican spheres is a shortened version of 'Christ the King', which was a common appellation of English parishes and cathedrals in earlier times. Actually, I'm getting a little tired of holding my breath waiting for one (or more) of our Ordinariate parishes to be called 'Christ Church'.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • kevinfkevinf
    The piece terminale from Tournemire's l'Orgue Mystique suite no. 17 for Easter. I think it captures the exuburence of Easter morning and the excitement of the resurrection. But it is a bear to play.....
  • MarkS
    Mr. Osborn

Thank you. I am blessed, as are we all!

Yes, 'Alleluias' are appropriately buried. The parish is Anglo-Catholic in it's soul (and in the person of our Rector) but we do have a 'Low-Church' contingent, in the Anglican sense of favoring the Protestant elements of Anglicanism, i. e. Morning Prayer on Sundays rather than Holy Eucharist, and we do provide services for those folks, but all of our services are 'high church' with regard to music and liturgical style—and our folks love to chant the Psalms!