Hymnody during Mass
  • I am presently researching the role of hymnody during Mass since 1965 for an M. Phil. Since the promulgation of the Third Edition of the Roman Missal and the emphasis of 'singing the Mass', is there any longer a place for hymnody? Any comments and experiences would be most welcome.
  • I would say that in the sense that "hymnody" refers to congregational hymn singing, and considering that the practice, at least in the US, since the NO came out of using congregational hymn singing to replace the Proper of the Mass, it has never had a place.

I feel that the emphasis on congregational hymn singing since the development of the NO has its roots in a theological shift in the Mass: from that of Sacrifice to a Theology of the Mass as Assembly. If you haven't already, check out Fr Anthony Cekada's "Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI." In it, he discusses the concept of the theological shift I mentioned and discusses its origins.
  • UK Student,

Do you mean one of the following, or something else?

a) Since we are instructed to "Sing the Mass", and since hymnody isn't actually the Mass (in either form) does the Church intend us to abandon the singing of hymnody until we have achieved "Singing the Mass"?

b) Given that the admonition to "Sing the Mass" dates at least from the time of Pope Pius X, more than 100 years ago, isn't it about time we got round to learning to sing the Mass instead of adding more hymns?

c) Is "hymns sung less and the proper chants sung more" the lived experience of most parishes, or

d) should we not be wasting valuable time trying to get to this pointless ideal?

I will categorize these as the

a) Ben Yanke approach
    b) Jackson Osborn approach
    c) Adam Wood approach
    d) Charles W approach
  • dad29
    Well, there's the fact that 'hymn-singing during Mass' antedates 1965 both in the US and Europe. That older hymn-singing also incorporated some lousy music which, like today's, became dated within 20 years.
  • There is obviously a certain amount of hymnody intrinsic to the Mass (the Sequences, for example) that has a place in integrally sung liturgy.

Also, even in the old High Mass, there always existed the possibility of using a liturgical hymn from the Divine Office or even a snippet, for instance, from the Corpus Christi sequence, as a motet outside of its intended and original context, in order to embellish some other liturgical moment. I think there's probably an analogy to be drawn between giving the choir a motet to sing and giving the choir and people a hymn to sing in addition to the proper.

De Musica Sacra (1958) even envisions circumstances "where a centenary or immemorial custom has obtained" in which vernacular, devotional hymns may be sung after the proper texts have been chanted in Latin at Sung Mass. If this was a tolerable custom before the general permission for the use of the vernacular was extended (and, we may imagine, nearly universally in use in those regions in which it was permitted), so a fortiori it would seem to be at least tolerable in our own day.

It is interesting, as well, that this toleration does not seem to limit those permissible, vernacular hymns to texts that content themselves to translating actual liturgical hymns---interesting, given the other restrictions on the use of texts for motets during the liturgy at the time. But, you're the one who has to earn them M. Phil, so I'll let you puzzle over that.

As far as my personal experience, from my point of view in a rather middle-of-the-road parish setting for three years, the re-introduced Proper Chants become a source of enrichment and additional depth, rather than a replacement for the congregational song (and songs) to which the faithful are often very sincerely and dearly attached. My approach is to out-and-out replace a hymn only rarely, but the use of the Proper regularly provides parishioners a context in which they can understand what they are hearing and where it comes from. So, for instance, when All Souls fell on Sunday a year or two ago, we sang the Introit without a hymn before or after for the procession. And I have done a Communio with full psalm on a couple of occasions for the Communion procession. But my bread-and-butter is a both/and approach, which I think respects the integrity of the liturgy and the sensibilities of the faithful at once.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • Chaswjd
    There is a place in the rite where the GIRM anticipates the use of a hymn: after communion:

88. When the distribution of Communion is over, if appropriate, the Priest and faithful pray quietly for some time. If desired, a Psalm or other canticle of praise or a hymn may also be sung by the whole congregation.

Also since there's is no liturgical text prescribed for the action of the ministers leaving the church, a hymn may appropriately sung there (as it is in most churches).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    The Gloria is a hymn. The Sanctus is a hymn.

Some poetry in the New Testament (Phil. 2:2-10 for example) is understood to have been liturgical hymnody prior to the writing. Christian, liturgical hymnody was therefore sung in the Pauline churches.

The current GIRM explicitly allows for a hymn of praise to be sung after the reception of Communion (as Chaswjd says above).
    Thanked by 3CharlesW CHGiffen Liam
  • CharlesW
    I use good hymns - Anglican wannabe here, or so I have been accused - and like them. The congregation enjoys singing them, too. When I use Propers, they are in addition to the hymns. Some Propers such as communion, I use every week. Others, when I can fit them in or when they have some relevance to what is going on with the rest of the mass. Some of those Propers are as unrelated to the calendar and particular liturgy as the moon. I have heard the same said about hymns. It is a real effort to try and tie all that together some weeks.
    Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • The lived experience of most members of the Catholic faithful would suggest that there is indeed a place for hymody: try telling an African or Filipino congregation that there will be no hymns, only changed Proper and Ordinary, and you will not get a happy reaction.
  • Well, to be totally contrary, what about the "feelings" of all who were told no more Latin, no more chant, not more choirs, no more elaborate altars, etc., etc., almost 60 years ago?!

Yes, we had hymns at Low Mass, but not always English, some Latin. And we only used the Rossini Propers at High Mass, but with Gregorian Ordinaries. We had "balance", at least in our parish, with a Pastor with German heritage. We then replaced nuns who had us kids chanting with Protestant amateur musicians as "choir directors" who brought in all sorts of stuff, and I don't mean more good hymns!

Yeah. What about all those feelings?
  • CharlesW

Yeah. What about all those feelings?

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair…
  • francis
    congregation should stick to the ordinary, perhaps a hymn at communion, other than that, Latin propers or motets by schola
  • a_f_hawkins
    Of course legally the situation in the USA is quite different from most of the rest of the English speaking world, compare GIRM on the Introit with England :-

48. The singing at this time is done either alternately by the choir and the people or in a similar way by the cantor and the people, or entirely by the people, or by the choir alone. In the dioceses of the United States of America there are four options for the Entrance Chant: (1) the antiphon from The Roman Missal or the Psalm from the Roman Gradual as set to music there or in another musical setting; (2) the seasonal antiphon and Psalm of the Simple Gradual; (3) a song from another collection of psalms and antiphons, approved by the Conference of Bishops or the diocesan Bishop, including psalms arranged in responsorial or metrical forms; (4) a suitable liturgical song similarly approved by the Conference of Bishops or the diocesan Bishop.[55]

In England and Wales: This chant is sung alternately by the choir and the people or similarly by a cantor and the people, or entirely by the
    people, or by the choir alone. In the dioceses of England and Wales
    the Entrance Chant may be chosen from among the following: the
    antiphon with its Psalm from the Graduale Romanum or the Graduale
    Simplex, or another chant that is suited to the sacred action, the day, or
    the time of year, and whose text has been approved by the Conference
    of Bishops of England and Wales.

Even if the word chant includes hymns, I do not know that there are any such that have been approved for this purpose by the Conference of Bishops of England and Wales. (I would be grateful if anybody could point me to any they know of) Though I know that there is a collection of music approved in Ireland by the liturgy department of the bishops conference, which I have not seen. However the liturgical law is in my experience completely ignored, even in English metropolitan cathedrals.
  • check out Fr Anthony Cekada's "Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI." In it, he discusses the concept of the theological shift I mentioned and discusses its origins.

I would err on the side of extreme caution when it comes to Fr. Anthony Cekada's writings. He's a sedevacantist. IOW: He doesn't believe there currently is a pope, and that Pope Pius XII was the last pope. He's also excommunicated. Not the most reliable source when it comes to theology.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    c) Is "hymns sung less and the proper chants sung more" the lived experience of most parishes, or
    c) Adam Wood approach

I'm amazed (and complimented) that anyone would find that my varied and diverse advocation of whatever I happen to be thinking about at any given moment adds up to anything coherent enough to create an eponymous "approach."

For the record, if I had to sum up my approach, it would be:

- Know the tradition as well as you possibly can.

- Let the tradition inform your sense of what is beautiful;
    - let the church's official teachings inform your sense of what is ideal;
    - let the love of Christ inform your sense of what is pastorally appropriate;
    - let the inspiration of the Holy Spirit inform your sense of what is possible.

- Do all that is possible, within your specific pastoral situation, to make liturgy and music more beautiful and closer to the ideal.
  • francis
    I would err on the side of extreme caution when it comes to Fr. Anthony Cekada's writings. He's a sedevacantist. IOW: He doesn't believe there currently is a pope, and that Pope Pius XII was the last pope. He's also excommunicated. Not the most reliable source when it comes to theology.
    It is tiring to see this kind of excuse for not acknowledging truth. The messenger (and the state of his soul) has nothing to do with whether something is true or not. Let's take Amoris Laetitia for example...
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • These types of arguments are also unreasonable, as not only are they quite obviously ad hominem, but they are also a form of ignoratio elenchi, the genetic fallacy, and a red herring.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The messenger (and the state of his soul) has nothing to do with whether something is true or not.

While true, Rev. Cekada's lack of magisterial authority does mean that it is difficult to take his words as true, or even as fact, simply on the grounds that he is a knowledgeable person who said them.

For someone such as yourself, Francis, who already knows the truth, this is irrelevant --- you can immediately discern the veracity (or lack) of any statement made by Mr. Cekada.

Others, perhaps lacking your knowledge on the subject matter, must follow the logic of Friend Cekada's arguments and weigh the evidence he provides for his claims before simply acknowledging that any given statement is true or false.

Alternatively, since the truth is very near to you --- on your lips and in your heart --- someone could, for convenience, choose not to undertake such a rigorous investigation into Comrade Cekada's claims and simply take your word for it.
    Thanked by 1JL
  • francis
    You cannot take ANYONE's words on the grounds that ANYONE is knowledgeable or espouses the truth in total. You must know the truth by comparing it with the magisterial teaching that has been handed down century after century. You must put it against the scriptures, the writings of the saints and more. I have read some of Rev. Cekada's writings, and he espouses the truth more often than not. So is the case with other authors who have been questioned on this forum.

The example of AL outlines this well. Just because a 'pope' writes something does not make it true. Infallibility is a different matter and is applied to a very small amount of what comes from the chair. The church is very careful about her doctrine and dogma, and those who love the law of God know and study the law until it is written on their hearts and in their minds.

I believe it was JMO who said somewhere else on this forum that truth is truth, no matter who epsouses it.

Test the spirits. You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.

ig·no·ra·ti·o e·len·chi
    ˌiɡnəˈrāSHēō iˈleNGkī,-kē/
    noun
    Philosophy
    noun: ignoratio elenchi; plural noun: ignorationes elenchi

a logical fallacy that consists in apparently refuting an opponent while actually disproving something not asserted.
  • Kathy
    You both sound kind of bonkey right now, but it's nice to hear that logic is back in style.
  • francis
    Kathy:

Please point out the part of my post that sounds specifically 'bonkey' to you. Thanks.
  • Kathy
    Francis: "nothing to do..."
    Thanked by 1francis
  • chonakchonak
    While the sedevacantist Fr. Cekada is a respected scholar in some areas, his book may not be that useful for this topic. Alcuin Reid's 2011 review in New Liturgical Movement discusses its merits and weaknesses.

Maybe ukstudent could start by letting us know how much information he has found so far on the topic. What role did hymns have in the old form of Mass? Was it consistent everywhere or did it vary across countries? Was it a matter of customs, or written in liturgical regulations? What has changed since the liturgical reform?

That'll help us to suggest material to add to your existing picture.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • This thread is worth reading just on account of 'ignoratio ilenchi' and 'bonkey'.
    May we add rubeum allec to the list?

Thanked by 2Kathy mlabelle
  • Kathy
    Is that a red allec or a smart allec?
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Well, I'm not sure, Kathy. I wondered as I pondered writing it. I think that a red allec is probably a slippery character, but a smart one should probably be red-(faced). Whichever, it seems to me that a herring aid would likely be a smart investment for to catch the answer being red out from the podium.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • francis
    Kathy

I appreciate your perspective, but many sedes (new word) know a lot more of the truth of things with the present state of the church than many are willing to admit. Unfortunately, they have slipped down the slippery slope of trying to be too black and white. God will be their judge, however... let's leave that determination to Him.
  • Kathy
    Francis, my objection is to your apparent assertion that the argument from authority carries zero weight.

While it's usually not a clincher (infallibility aside), it does matter who says things.
    Thanked by 2M. Jackson Osborn JL
  • a_f_hawkins
    I don't ever remember hearing a hymn at Mass, before the NO. My Westminster Hymnal (imprimatur Nov 1939) is clear that the hymns are either based on office hymns or intended for benediction. The editor's note does suggest that the Latin hymns (office or sequence) might be used at Mass to be sung by the congregation "in place of the customary motet". But as I normally attended a said Mass, except for our weekly school Mass, which was Benedictine conventual, I cannot remember ever hearing a motet. I presume that my experience is atypical, nearly all from one monastic parish in London, UK (1944-63/74). We did of course get to sing lots of hymns, daily school assembly, Benediction, Sunday School, but not at Mass.
  • CharlesW
    Posts routinely appear concerning hymns at mass. In another month, the topic will come up again. Perhaps it is different in other countries, but hymns are part of mass in the United States. They are not going anywhere.
  • While the sedevacantist Fr. Cekada is a respected scholar in some areas, his book may not be that useful for this topic.

I cited it because it discusses the theological shift that I mentioned earlier.

I'd also like to point out that whenever Fr. Cekada is brought up on this forum, someone immediately points out that he is a sedevacantist and claims that his statements are therefore unacceptable. Why the vitriol towards him? It seems like someone is afraid of what he has to say, and wants to get rid of him as quickly as possible.
  • francis
    While it's usually not a clincher (infallibility aside), it does matter who says things.
    Well, of course it matters who... but not in the way that most think... you will know the tree by its fruit, and not the color of its leaves or the height of its branches nor the prominence of its name, nor the breadth of its reach.
  • francis
    What CK is saying is an unfortunate reality on our forum. I and others bring up matters and sometimes the person is attacked to invalidate the subject matter as presented by the individual. Are we really searching for truth or just promoting the status quo to make ourselves feel comfortable or justified in our own position whether it is true or not? Are we not after the truth?
  • a_f_hawkins
    Perhaps it is different in other countries, but hymns are part of mass in the United States.
    Yes liturgical law is quite different in other countries, as I outline above. The law in the rest of the world (including Canada), as far as I know, follows the IGMR 3rd edition fairly closely. Unfortunately the publishing might of the USA means the rest of the world are influenced by this practice despite it being illicit. Worse here, because the failure of our bishops in England to address the issue means that we have no defence against the dross, we have AFAIK no approved texts except the Graduals. (I would be very glad if someone could point me to some).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'll note (since I participated in the decline into madness) that the OP seems to be interested in scholarly research regarding the place of hymns. I take this to mean not our opinions (however well formed) or even our ideals (however perfect), but reality.

In reality, a lot of hymns are used. In reality, more hymn singing than Proper chanting is going on.

I wonder if anyone is aware of any actual studies or actual research that actually exists concerning the actual musical practices of actual Catholic parishes in the actual English-speaking world, actually. I imagine that is the sort of thing the OP is looking for.

If the OP is, instead, looking for information about what the Magisterial Teaching Authority of the Holy Catholic Church has to say about music in the Roman Rite, I would refer him or her to the "Catholic Church documents" section of the Musica Sacra Resources page.

If the OP is, instead, interested in the opinions of a motley crew of online traddies of various temperaments and qualifications, I would encourage him or her to ask more more questions here on the forum. Hot-button topics include vernacular pointing systems, rhythmic interpretation of chant, whether or not the SSPX is really Catholic, and what exactly is meant by "participation."
  • Kathy
  • a_f_hawkins
    refer him or her to the "Catholic Church documents" section of the Musica Sacra Resources page.
    AND note that it lacks the GIRM as it applies outside the USA, for which the first or second on this list.