Who are the greats of the NLM?
  • Priestboi
    The only reason I really got interested in the New Liturgical Movement was simply because I hated the fact that guitars and tambourines being used at Mass.

I was a Baptist kid looking for Jesus. Now sure, we all know he was never lost, but I was - I wanted to find out where the Church really was. This was a big question for a 16 year old almost twelve years ago, but after I was convinced that He was truly present in the Eucharist, I knew that I had a duty, as a musician, to be part of the solution.

My first real contact with sacred music was this (it is no longer on the Cappella Musicale Pontificia Sistina website where I found it first):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qhcV0gpj-k

My second contact with the idea of sacred music and liturgy was probably the biggest shock to the system, and the most addictive blog I have ever read: http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/

Now I know that Mahrt, Tucker, Pluth, Weber, Kelly, Bartlett, Ostrowski, Allen et al have been great sources of inspiration, and a major source of suitable compositions for use in the Liturgy, but I feel that there should be a "List of Greats" for new musicians as a starting point.

I am in the process of creating a spreadsheet with all this information and would love your input.
    Who else should be added to this list of greats? Please be sure to add a link to their work, site or blog.

Feel free to nominate yourself :)
  • Benedict XVI.
    Thanked by 2Priestboi CHGiffen
  • Priestboi,

I think it is appropriate to consider not merely the generals and the tacticians, but also the captains and the foot soldiers in this war. Accordingly, I propose all those clerics, musicians and other sundries who strive mightily to communicate what the Church calls on us all to hand on, "from generation to generation, to those who fear Him."
    Thanked by 2Priestboi Ben
  • Priestboi
    @Chris Garton-Zavesky

I share your sentiments completely. That being said I am working on a project that requires the creation of a resource list, and I would like everyone interested in the subject to contribute if they want to. I do not want to leave anyone out, but need to start somewhere.

A particularly interesting group of unsung heroes in South Africa is the Shoenstatt sisters from Cape town. There are now very few of them left, but at the time of the changes in the Mass they wrote some really good music, and would obviously be on that list of resources.

I cannot, however, consider those waging war, regardless of rank, if I do not know who they are and what they are contributing, hence my OP.
  • chonakchonak
    Priestboi, are you focusing on musicians, or looking for other liturgical writers? The latter would include Alcuin Reid, Nicola Bux, and Laszlo Dobszay.
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • Would Louis Bouyer or Klaus Gamber be on your list?
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Buchholz, Carr-Wilson, Brouwers, Latona, Nestor, JMThompson, Paul Ford, Bruce Ford, RRice, Msgr. Schuler, MBerry, ....
  • chonakchonak
    For context, here's an article on the history of the liturgical movement by Keith Pecklers, a present-day scholar who edited Abp. Bugnini's memoir of the liturgical reform:
    http://religion.oxfordre.com/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199340378.001.0001/acrefore-9780199340378-e-19
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    In my humble opinion, regarding theological works, Ratzinger's "Spirit of the Liturgy" is the cornerstone work for the NLM.
  • Ratzinger's "Spirit of the Liturgy" is the cornerstone work for the NLM

The concluding paragraphs of its first chapter alone, starting with "And so we come to a final reflection. Man himself cannot simply 'make' worship", are worthy of extended (i.e., intergenerational) scrutiny.
  • JahazaJahaza
    Peter Sandhofe, Thomas Day, Msgr. Schuler