How to conduct Anglican Chant?
  • Protasius
    I have been wondering for a considerable time how Psalms in Anglican Chant or Falsobordone are conducted. There are dozens of books explaining how to beat time and conduct a choir for pieces in measured time, and a few explaining chironomy for chant (according to Solesmes or the adiastematic neumes), but I have never been able to find a book or web page explaining how to conduct Anglican Chant. Can anybody explain how to do that? I tried to find out from Evensong videos showing the conductor, but that's difficult if you can only see his back ...
    Thanked by 1Jahaza
  • Protasius,

1) Think like a singer.
    2) Read the text.
    3) Direct according to the text.

(I'll see, now, if I can show you in this box.)

The highway code, Part I: The roaduser on foot.

Each bolded syllable gets "counted", or represented by a downbeat. Since the choir is using a melody to convey (hopefully) well translated, beautiful English, don't treat it otherwise.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • The mode of directing Anglican chant is not dissimilar from that of directing other chant, such as Gregorian. Chris, just above, is onto it. In any chant it is the text which guides the rhythm, and the manual gestures made in conformity with and indicative of that rhythm.

Never, ever, beat out each word. I have seen some do this in a frenetic attempt to move the chant along. The result is (other than being a comical spectacle) slower and slower, just the opposite of what the poor director had in mind. Generous, even emphatic gestures, graceful to behold and indicative of textual stress and pulse, are what should be cultivated.

This means that, just as in Gregorian chant, one studies the text and its inherent rhythm before pointing the text, directing it, or singing it. Do not play every word and syllable on the piano or organ! Sing it to your choristers. Chant is sung. To teach it one must be able to illustrate it by singing it according as to how one wishes it to be sung. Anyone who illustrates chant of any kind on piano or organ hasn't a clue as to what chant is, let alone how to teach it.

Practice by taking a sample text and marking the points of vocal stress, Some of these will be stronger, and others weaker accents. These would be the points of gesture for the choirmaster. In between these points graceful arches or wave-like movements may help to indicate flow. Look for word or syllable entities that represent triplet, duplet, quadruplet, quintuplet, etc., units and allow them to flow from one stress gesture to the next. When a line begins on a weak syllable followed by a strong one, I typically indicate that by a an upward gesture followed by a downward stress which then arches gracefully to the next stress.

Too, one may wish to stop at punctuation marks, if not all of them then at carefully selected ones. The idea is that the grammar and syntax always take precedence, but also that the line doesn't become too chopped up. For me, the more punctuation that I can honour with aplomb the better.

Also too: there are times when one may wish to add an extra pulse or two to an accented word or syllable, this for textual clarity and grace. Whatever you do, do not over emphasise the cadences. There should be a seamless rhythmic flow from the recitation note through to the end of the cadence.

Here are a few sample lines:

1. From Psalm XCIII -
    The Lord is King and hath put on glorious apparel...
    (Here one may wish to give 'King' two or even two and a half extra pulses, whilst accenting heftily but but gliding right over 'glorious' to what is glorious, namely the apparel. Every line should flow like speech - an orator's speech, that is.)

2. From Psalm XV -
    Lord who shall dwell in thy tabernacle? * or who shall rest upon thy holy hill?
    (Here one wishes to glide from a very light accent on the initial 'Lord' to a stronger one on 'dwell', and glide even more smoothly to the important object, the tabernacle. Then cleanly drive forward to 'rest', making sure to pronounce rest ('st' and all) very distinctly, while moving to a guttural 'upon'. Do not allow 'restapon' here, and be vigilant about similar instances elsewhere - never run two words together, and always begin an initial vowel gutturally. 'Rest upon thy' should be thought of as a quadruplet whose important target is the accented 'holy hill'. The 'holy hill', obviously, presents us with something of a double accent - be sure that, to emphasise this, the second syllable of 'holy' is noticeably quieter than the two accents that surround it. This is an opportunity for vocal grace. The '-ly' is really very subservient to the 'ho' and the 'hill', whose 'h's should be made the most of.)

More could follow, but I feel like stopping now. This should give you a good basis for progress.

Here is an offering about accents. These are difficult for some who aren't trained singers (and! for some who are). Practice having your choir sing several soft notes followed by a loud (accented) one followed by one sung softly (very softly!). You could do this with a word like 'atonement', holding the final syllable out for a short while. Or something like Christus vincit, with exaggerated accents and very, very soft second syllables. Do this over and over ad nauseam. This is an accent. Too often amateur singers will sing a loud accent but not back off the following note. The result is not an accent but a crescendo. Nowhere in musicdom is accent (which defines word rhythm) more essential than in chant. You cannot rehearse the correct manner of accent too much.

(And Oh! If you are choirmaster and organist, you will need to do all this with your head and face.)
  • Essentially, you as the director need to be rock solid in the singing of the chant with the pointing you want them to sing.

You will sing it to them and add gestures as you sing. Bit by bit you will sing less and less. but maintain the gestures.

They will quickly reach the point where you no longer need to actively move them along with gestures, but mainly will indicate when to start and end each line.

Gestures to get them to move on while they are singing should be left to right instead of up and down, and become circular as you get comfortable doing this. Everything MJO has said should be taken as gospel.
  • Reading Jackson's comments made me think.

Is the fact that the ICEL text of the Mass (the one approved in the 1970s) part of the reason for the disappearance of chant? What I mean is this: while it's possible to sing lots of texts using Anglican or Gregorian chant, language which is so crafted as to have no natural cadences (because the beauty of the language has been hunted to the point of extinction) doesn't lend itself to being sung to music which highlights the textual flow?

• Right, Chris.
    Singing to BCP language or Coverdale language is a far greater aesthetic, a far more gracious and beauteous musicality than singing to the Grail, Revised Grail, ICEL, or other computeresque language that reeks of late XXth century aversion to richness in liturgical language.

Here is an example -

Coverdale's Psalm I -

1. Blessed is the man that hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly, nor | stood in . the | way . of | sinners, *
    and hath not | sat . in the | seat of . the | scornful.
    2. But his delight is in the | law of . the | Lord, *
    and in his law will he exercise him-| self | day . and | night.
    Etc. ...

There is breadth here. And colour. And a certain graciousness of pace.

>

Revised Grail's Psalm I -

1. Blessed indeed is the man
    who follows not the counsel of the wicked,
    nor stands in the path with sinners,
    nor abides in the company of scorners,
    2. but whose delight is the law of the Lord,
    and who ponders his law day and night.
    Etc. ...

(With some surgery one might put this to Anglican chant thusly for a double chant -
    1. Blessed indeed is the man who follows not the | counsel . of the | wicked, *
    nor stands in the path with sinners, nor a-| bides . in the | company . of | scorners,
    2. but whose delight is the | law of . the | Lord,
    and who ponders his | law | day . and | night.

(Or, for a single chant -
    1. Blessed in-| deed . is the | man
    who follows | not . the | counsel . of the | wicked,

nor stands in the | path . with | sinners,
    nor a-| bides . in the | company . of | scorners,

2. but whose delight is the | law of . the | Lord,
    and who ponders his | law | day . and | night.

To be fair, there is a certain (very economical) poetic rhythm to the RG. However there is a studied and rather clumsy abruptness which is discouraging to sing. It is studiedly sparse, almost purposefully lacking in imagery, and wastes no words in what seems to be a cultivated, arid, brevity for its own sake. All of which doesn't make for singing. With some imagination one could point this for Anglican chant, and also, for Gregorian psalm tones, but the flow and sense of graciousness are not there. Like the language of the now (happily) riddanced dynamic equivalent translation, it is almost comically computeresque - abrupt little 'sense units', not real language in full bloom.

>

1979 BCP Rite II's Psalm I -

1. Happy are they who have not walked in the | counsel . of the | wicked, *
    nor lingered in the way of sinners, nor | sat . in the | seats of . the | scornful!
    2. Their delight is in the | law . of the | Lord, *
    and they meditate on his | law | day . and | night.
    Etc. ...

This is almost as lovely as the Coverdale. It betrays a deliberate sense of speech that is meant to be sung. Contrasted with the RG it has grace and pace where the RG offers naught but terse and abrupt utterances. In short, one is musical and fits Gregorian tones or Anglican chant, and the other isn't and doesn't.

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    a studied abruptness which is discouraging to sing. It is studiedly sparse, almost purposefully lacking in imagery, and wastes no words in what seems to be a cultivated, arid, brevity.

An interesting observation. I seem to recall this way of dealing with language was all the rage in mid 20th century experimental theatre. cf. Growtowski, Brook, etc. (Artists whose work I greatly admire, BTW. -- For other reasons than their approach to language and translation.)

One wonders where the impetus for this trend came from.
  • ...where the impetus...

Or, as one might say, 'whence....'
    One might look to the general anti-cultural suicide of Western culture that has marked the post world war (both of them - it began after the disillusionment following the first, and was intensified after the second) world. I could wax quite lengthily about this but don't really feel like it right now (for which some may heave a sigh of relief). As for its application to literature and liturgical language, the most important manifestation of it in the language departments of academe is the insane mantra that 'language evolves'. This rather obvious little tid bit is the excuse for the absolute avoidance-abhorrence-discouragement of anything smacking of literary beauty and artistry with its roots in a heritage which is seen a thing fetishistically to be dismantled. The advent of computerese and, now, even, of talking computers, has only served to compound and complexify this unfortunate development.

I think that since I am eschewing 'waxing lengthily' on this matter that you, Adam, would probably be qualified for doing so. So, have at it.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Brook (and, I think, Grotowski) was interested in distilling language. But he was doing this as an experiment: What is the least that is needed?

They did this with other aspects of theatre performance, as well. They were trying to discover something about the nature of the art.

That's quite different than the anti-culturalists who declared: The least needed is all we should have.
  • a_f_hawkins
    To be fair, there is a certain (very economical) poetic rhythm to the RG.

Yes, for the original Grail translation allegedly the rhythm of Hebrew poetry (also I think Anglo-saxon).
    They all ran after the farmer's wife
    who cut off their tails with a carving knife
    did you ever see such a thing in your life
    as three blind mice.
    Very very different from Latin, or French rhythm.

Also note that the first ICEL translators were aiming for something easily and naturally declaimed. (Which IMHO does not justify leaving out some of the theology)
  • a_f_hawkins
    After thought: The KJV translators were also concerned about declaiming, and allegedly tested every verse for both accuracy (dynamic equivalence) and delivery.
    Questions: Why did the Anglicans stick with Coverdale? For that matter, why did we Romans stick with a pre-Jerome version of the psalms?
  • I think the Grail translation was devised in large part to support Gelineau's invention of responsorial psalmody. Hence imitating the French translation of the Jerusalem Bible, and requiring metrical and verbal simplicity in order to fit with Gelineau's and Dom Murray's one-beat-per-bar chants.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Why did the Anglicans stick with Coverdale?

The BCP predates the KJV.

They could have updated the Psalter to conform to the AUTHORIZED VERSION when they redid the BCP in 1662 , but --- given the primacy of the Divine Office over the Eucharist, and the place of Psalms therein, the Coverdale would have become very familiar by that time.

(Not that British royalty had very many other qualms about snatching away that which was familiar and instituting all manner of decrees and novelties during that period. So... I guess your question still stands.)
  • SalieriSalieri
    The Coverdale Psalter, having been in use since the first Praier Booke of 1549, 113 years by the time the same was amended in 1662, was probably so ingrain'd in the mindes of ye people--monarchie, clerkes, aristocracie, and commonfolk all--that to alter or change it in any wise was deemed to be unnecessarie.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
  • Methinks that the honourable Salieri hath spoken veritie. Pitie it is that his logick was not in force amongst ye mightie king's majestie and his lordes all with regard to ye Sarum Usage some manie yeares afore.
  • Psalm CVIII, Paratum cor meum... provides the motto for New York's St Thomas' Choir: 'O God, My Heart is Ready'... 'my heart is ready: I will sing and give praise with the best member that I have'.

Further down it also provides grist for any who are having a particularly bad day:
    'Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe;* upon Philistia will I triumph'.
    One will have noted that 'casting one's shoe' remains an insult of the highest order to this day in the Middle East. (Just ask ex-President Bush!)
  • jefe
    This is kinda fun. A bunch of guys stuck in the wrong century. My personal, kicking and screaming conducting style on Anglican Chant has all to do with the text. Having evolved from a non-keyboard, symphony trombonist and instrumental conductor to a full time Compliner, the road was fraught with a complete lack of carryover technique. Since there is no meter, no bar lines, no rhythmic notation, I use the 2, 3, and 4, beat length icti, and just 1 beat for the final ending or one syllable chord. Herein lies the problem. At first I was conducting way too much. As the choirs learned about the natural stresses and releases; lengthening and shortening within the chant text I gradually conducted less and less becoming just an ictus machine. In general, multi-syllabic words are spoken or chanted a little faster than one or two syllable words. At the beginning of the reciting tones, the band just gets a downbeat and they take it from there. There is some stylistic information for them included in that downbeat. At least I'm hoping that's the case. I use a bit more time beating on the changing chords around the mediant and near the final cadence to get through the mine field of when to change the harmony to fit the text in that verse. So, my final word is: less is more. If you conduct less, the choir will be forced to listen more. They are probably not following you anyway, so just tell them what you want and get out of the way. It's been my observation that nothing on this forum creates more turf warz than how to interpret chant. I'm reminded of my section leader, Ralph Sauer in the LAPhil. He once told me, "I have the correct reading of this" pointing to a passage in Wozzek that we were recording. jefe
    Here is a link to last Sunday's Compline with Voces angelorum where we chanted an amalgam Harmonized Anglican chant with two composers on the Psalm. https://www.dropbox.com/s/pkeq4atmtq6u12b/20161002.mp3
    P.S. I should mention we never use any accompaniment either in rehearsal or on the gig, save our penchant for using handbells. We have now graduated to using only handbells for giving the key tone for a given piece. I don't even have a keyboard part on any of my arrangements. It's a crutch that always forces the singers into the 'non-reader' hovel. But, then again, I'm not a keyboard player.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • The key is also consistency in pointing style and accompaniment. During my years at Walsingham (I've probably posted this before) the entire congregation sang the Anglican chants - single, double, and even Oakley's quadruple. The organ accompaniment needed to be clear but not overpowering, and each note/chord change needed to be just slightly anticipated - even breaks for catching breath anticipated. They were so good at following the organ they could do it without pointing in the text - which did happen occasionally when I had c&p the Psalm but forgot to insert the markings!
    Thanked by 1jefe
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    ICEL, or other computeresque language that reeks of late XXth century aversion to richness in liturgical language.

The ICEL's Miserere (last OT 24) wasn't really erring on the side of normal XXc word order, was it? One can't call it an enrichment:

...and of my sin cleanse me. R

...and your holy spirit take not from me. R

…a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn. R
  • chonakchonak
    The Lectionary is the work of the bishops' conference, so "credit" for those lines would go to the USCCB rather than ICEL.