Poll Time: The Organist & Wedding Rehearsals

• New organist had a few rather large disconnects at a wedding (support of the Kyriale was fine, but of the actions of the wedding party, not so much).
    afterwards I asked him, did you come last night for the rehearsal?
    he looked very surprised and said, I didn't realize I should be there.

I hope you folks will share which of these describes your own policy - or if none of them, maybe give some comments?
    thanks!

a) I never participate in a wedding rehearsal
    b) l participate in rehearsal when invited by the couple
    c) If not invited by the couple to participate in the wedding rehearsal, I will always propose it
    d) If I am not to be part of the rehearsal, I will not agree to play
    e) other

• francis
    e
  • >>or if none of them [that is, "e"] maybe give some comments? :-)
  • e)

Many organists participate in the wedding rehearsal. Many do not. I am one of the latter - unless my presence seems really to be coveted by the couple, and they are keen on my presence at the following rehearsal dinner. There are some relatively few couples who value highly the organist. I know people who, after decades, remain excited that I played for their wedding. Most others regard the organist simply as another person who has been retained to fulfill a task.

My fee is for the wedding, meeting with the couple, planning and practicing the music. Rehearsals with singers and other musicians is extra, as is my presence, if insisted on, at the wedding rehearsal. (And, if there is acceptable solo or instrumental music which I neither have nor want, it is the responsibility of the bride and groom to acquire it and provide it.)

The only perceivable need for the organist to be at the rehearsal would be to adjust his music to the length and pace of the procession. However, since the switch from bride's maids to bride, and then the procession's conclusion is largely an improvised matter, it really isn't necessary for him to be at the rehearsal. The rest of the procession is pretty much pro-forma. Too, rehearsals sometimes drag on and on. It is absurd to expect an organist to be twiddling his thumbs during all that. (Unless they wish to pay him extra for doing so.) As for rehearsing with singers, etc., this should be done at some other time arranged with the organists, so that details of performance can be worked out.

Actually, I think that it is more of a, shall we say 'cultural', thing amongst Protestants that the organist's presence at the rehearsal is sort of de rigeuer. Not so much amongst Catholics and many Episcopalians.
  • canadashcanadash
    a) I'm not the organist... but he rarely (if ever) participates.
  • A.

There's no wedding coordinator at my parish to cue me, so I only do one long entrance piece for the entire bridal party, since I can't easily tell from the organ loft when the bride's up next. And the priest, who isn't a stickler for da rubrics virtually any other time, sticks largely to the book for weddings. So I really have no need to be at a rehearsal, and this is perfectly OK with me.
  • Spriggo
    A
  • MarkS
    A) Agree with most of Mr. Osborn's comments. If for some reason my presence is required at the rehearsal there would be an extra fee.

On the other hand, an organist without experience in weddings could probably benefit from a rehearsal or two.
  • Haven't attended a wedding rehearsal in forever. Not constitutionally opposed, it's just that I know the priests, and I expect to get clear instructions from them, not from anyone else.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    A

I (almost) never go to the rehearsal. I believe I have gone to two rehearsals, and I have always charged extra. As far as I am concerned, it would be a complete waste of my time.
  • A) I never participate.

I have a spreadsheet, which the couple signs off on weeks in advance of the wedding weekend. It is set in stone, so there's nothing to really talk about.
  • kevinfkevinf
    A...never never ever.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    E... I'm not the organist, but I know that our organist goes to all the wedding rehearsals. I was surprised to find that.
  • thanks for all your responses!
    many people responded "A" - never participate in rehearsal.
    sorry if this is too basic a question, but we are a small parish with rather few weddings, so I need to ask, how do you know when to stop the general music you play while guests are being seated, and change to the processional for the bridal party?

Can't just go by the clock. Last wedding actually started about 75 minutes after the stated time;
    this most recent one started about 5 minutes after the stated time, but the organist was not notified and the bridesmaids just started coming out.
  • It is helpful, especially if the organ is in a west gallery and vision is not clear, to have someone up there to cue you when the various groups of processional people begin to enter the centre aisle. Regardless, it is desirable to have someone alert you when to begin all the processional music - that or some prearranged signal from the priest. Some churches have a little red or green light built into the organ console which is turned on from the narthex as a signal to begin. We have one of these at Walsingham and it is most helpful and conducive to a smooth flow.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • canadashcanadash
    There is a woman at our parish who is something like a wedding planner. I think she volunteers to do this job, but I'm not sure. She tells the organist when to start and stop; he's in the loft.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    I don't see why someone could come tell "you" or wave at you in some manner.
    Whomever has made the decision that "we're ready to start" could surely let the organist know?
    If there is a cantor, surely they could keep an eye out for such a notice.

(At my own wedding, things got started a bit late, and the mothers were seated well before we had come to the narthex, because nobody had told us that the mothers were even being seated yet.

The hired organist for my wedding is now our parish organist, and she told me (recently) that she'll always remember the stress of my wedding because (besides it being her first EF Mass at all) she only learned/prepared a certain amount of my processional, and it had not been enough. She figured that she didn't need to know the full piece of music because she knew how long it would need to last. Yet, because of a miscommunication, and her beginning the music, even though we weren't there...she was playing and we were no where to be seen; so she kept having having find a place to recycle back to the beginning until we actually showed up. =( )
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Someone needs to tell the organist.

The organist needs to find an usher (and/or someone else) to come up and tell them when the bridal party is ready to enter. The organist wraps up whatever prelude they've been playing, they give 10 seconds of silence, and begin the processional. It's not that complicated, and it certainly would not be helped by attending the rehearsal. The solution takes 30 seconds of asking someone for help; you don't need to go to the church and sit through the whole rehearsal for that.

You could even send a note to the bride and groom ahead of time (or discuss it at your music consultation) asking them to depute someone for this important task. If they want the music to begin at the proper time, they'll assign someone responsible.
  • I played for a wedding (yes, played the organ at an orthodox church) at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral here in Houston decades ago while still a student. I was thankful for the person who came periodically into the west gallery to let me know now and then (after the time the wedding was supposed to begin) that the bride had not arrived yet. This went on for forty-five minutes! This was really surprising because she had been excited about the music, wanted all Renaissance pieces, and had left it all entirely up to me. Then this! This wedding had a Renaissance theme and the bride's gown was even 'Renaissance inspired'.
  • I do not (nor have I ever in other jobs) attend the rehearsal, except for very exceptional cases where there is a personal connection and/or some unusually elaborate music involved (such as a choir or instrumental ensemble). We do have a wedding coordinator currently who attends the rehearsal. She and I touch base briefly before the wedding to compare notes on numbers in the wedding party, numbers of honored guests to seat, etc. It works fine.

Although, I have to share that a couple of weeks ago a bride showed up 20 MINUTES after the wedding start time, on purpose, because she thought it was a cute Irish tradition. I considered introducing her to my cultural tradition of leaving the wedding when the bride is not on time. Anyhow, the rehearsal would not have helped in that case, since she kept her plan a secret from everyone.
  • rich_enough
    Even if there is no one to tell you or wave to you, my cue is when the groomsmen have taken their positions and the priest is at the center of the sanctuary.

At my former parish we had a "late fee" policy - the bride would write a check for $100 which would be returned to her unless she started processing down the aisle later than 15 minutes after the scheduled start time. You'd be surprised how few weddings started late. (Exceptions were made for true emergencies.) Of course I didn't mind waiting a few extra minutes if it meant an extra hundred bucks.
  • A - never attend rehearsals (unless it's a family member getting married). If I am in a loft, always make sure someone will cue me when they want to start "seating of Mothers" or beginning bridesmaids...whatever the cue is I need (as once this starts, that's all I need....as I can then see when the last bridesmaid/kids are down in front and need to change music for the entrance of the bride...if that's the plan). If not in a loft, usually can see the narthex and someone will wave/cue me that the procession is ready to begin. I also think the cantor should arrange an alternate time to rehearse....(even if the cantor is also a bridesmaid...which is never a good idea anyway).
  • A! No wedding rehearsals for me.
  • JahazaJahaza
    E (since I'm not an organist).

As an MC for (often) EF and (once) OF weddings, I always attend the rehearsal (and usually invite myself, ("When is the rehearsal? OK, I'll be there.) Since I'm sufficiently musically (as well as liturgically) knowledgeable to communicate what's going on with the wedding and what's going to happen to the organist/music director, this usually makes their attendance unnecessary.

Since these are frequently one-off events with musicians and celebrants who don't work together on a regular basis a good deal of communication is necessary. That doesn't really need to happen at the rehearsal, but it needs to happen at some point.

As MC, I've gotten paid about half the time, which is nice, but usually not necessary for me, though I generally expect that other servers who aren't wedding guests get a small stipend. Since I don't generally expect to get paid, I don't expect to get paid for a rehearsal. If I required servers to come to one, I guess I'd expect them to be better compensated than they otherwise would be, unless they knew the couple personally and were invited guests ... but I wouldn't probably wouldn't recruit as servers people who needed that extra rehearsal.
  • JonLaird
    A

What helps is that I only give the option of one piece for the entire bridal party. If there are special "seatings," they are done during the prelude, and the couple almost always selects "organ selections" on my form -- and inviting option compared to selecting "other" and going through the trouble of looking up particular pieces. Therefore I have complete control of the prelude. When I see the priest lining up, I wrap it up (usually improvising by that point), cantor sings the entrance antiphon (not optional) and I begin the procession which, in most cases, is a hymn (thanks, again, to the way our form is set up).

Even if there were several different pieces at the beginning (such as when I sub at other churches) I would still not attend the rehearsals -- I would just make sure I knew what was supposed to be played when and be ready to extend anything. If the placement of the organ console did not permit observation of necessary cues, I would speak before the wedding with whomever would be cueing, and recruit someone (usually the cantor) if everyone seems clueless.

You can see our form here: http://bit.ly/SEASnup
    You can walk through the entire form without submitting any information. If you click through you can also see samples of our very thorough weddings programs.
  • lmassery
    A - The coordinators attend, so there is no point for the musician to attend
  • ViolaViola
    This 'seating of mothers' etc doesn't usually happen in the UK, though I fear it may be creeping in. The bride processes in with her father, followed by bridesmaids, the mothers having earlier taken their places without ceremony. So only one processional piece is necessary, and long may this continue.
    The only rehearsal I go to is if there is a singer or instrumentalist, and then we rehearse at a different time from the main wedding rehearsal.
  • A...1,000 times over
  • For a typical wedding rehearsal, in the past I have usually just inquired when it is to be, and then arranged to be practicing the organ around that time, so that I am on hand if wanted, but with minimal obligation.

I probably check my wedding-specific liturgical cues with Father.

Then, with the couple, I go over the prelude(s) and procession.

This because for the wedding itself, the last couple of times I have planned it so that I can check myself that everyone is ready to go before I go up to the loft. On the day of the wedding, I say to the bride "I need to know if you are all ready, because as soon as I leave to go up to the loft, we're rolling, and I'm not going to stop: first this piece for thus, then that piece for so, and then the piece for you to go down the aisle". And since we have practiced this, it works.

Another thing rehearsal is good for is to warn the bride & her father to walk very slowly down the aisle, or even wait slightly in the doorway before starting to allow me a decent chance of getting through the selected organ piece in a timely fashion.
  • music123
    Late to this, but my response is A. I just want to know how many bridesmaids there are, and I ask beforehand.
  • SalieriSalieri
    A

I never attend the rehearsal -- it's bad enough just having to be there to "help" pick out the music (which usually amounts to simply saying "NO" a lot), the blasted ceremony itself with all of it's cliché sentimentality (people still cry during St. Paul's "Love is" blah-blah?) and the extra half-hour to forty-five minutes of prelude music (normally called a "recital") needed until the bride finally decides to show up. In my experience, no matter how nice and obliging he may be, the organist is usually given less thought than the rented tux. Under normal circumstances, the only redeeming feature of a wedding is the stipend, but that often gets stiffed, anyway.