Help Requested: Reading Chant ad libitum Tones
  • Hi everyone!
    I am a big promoter of chanting the Mass and have this crazy idea that the pinnacle liturgies of the year, namely the Triduum, ought to be chanted, including the readings. Yes, all of them at the Easter Vigil included. However, knowing that most would not be in favor of hearing the Prophecy Tone 7 times in a row, I am asking for your assistance in finding other tones that have been used in the past ad libitum. I know that the FSSP has a tone which I have access to and I have heard that there is one for the Cathedral of Cologne.

So does anyone have access to any ad libitum reading tones? OT or NT Tones. I already have the ones in the Missal and LU. I'm looking for others. Mr. Osborn is in the process of sending me the Sarum and I have access to the Ambrosian, but I am looking for specifically Roman Rite ones if possible.

Please note that this is intended to be used for the OF English Mass.

Thanks and God bless you all!
  • The file "12 Readings For Easter Vigil" I wanted to look at here won't open, so I don't know what it has for tones; but you could contact them if you thought it worth while.

Somewhere in the "zipped" file of stuff by Holger Peter Sandhofe, you can find the reading Nebuchodonosor in a very elaborate tone.

There is also a somewhat related forum discussion here.

Also, the book Laudes Festivae (1940) has its own different tones.

Slightly unrelated, but for Matins, of interest might also be the tones given on this thread.

That's all I've got.
  • BenBen
    I'd actually suggest you go with the proper tones. Of course you don't *have* to, but the tones really are associated with the type of reading, and I'd contend there really is a merit to it.

I usually go to the triduum in the extraordinary form, and heading the prophecy tone multiple times never really bothered me...that's how it is at a vigil!

That being said, it's still excellent to sing the readings, no matter what tone you use. Don't take my words a discouragement to doing that.

Just my 2c.
  • I'm for doing it traditionally with the prophetic tone, which relies on half-steps (semi-tones) and a descending interval of a a fifth at full-stops (periods). The readings chug along nicely that way. The "special" tone of the FSSP is not a favorite and a bit theatrical, and has a mysterious provenance.
  • Protasius
    There is also the Prophetiarium Xicatunense (was linked on New Liturgical Movement earlier this year IIRC). But the tones become more difficult with each prophecy, and that on purpose, since the readings are supposed to be read by lectors with increasing seniority, thus the last prophecy is being read by the most experienced lector.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Make that three of us for the traditional prophetic tone.

Given that this liturgy is not in the Extraordinary Form, one "difference" from prophesy to prophesy will (probably) be the tone quality of the singers. Our pastor has started to have the altar boys sing both on Good Friday and at the Easter Vigil.
  • I would highly recommend using the formula as found in the Liber Usualis, especially the Final Formula which ends on "te".
  • tomjaw
    We have 12 to sing... Last year we used the FSSP tone for the first, the normal tone for 2-11 and the special tone as found by Holger Peter Sandhofe (RIP). With the different lectors, singing with different reciting notes, and different speeds it is far from boring!
    Thanked by 1Steve Collins
  • MatthewRoth
    +1000 for the old Holy Week. St. Mary’s Norwalk also used the altar boys.
  • Thank you to everyone for the resources and opinions! The comments about the differences between the way each lector/reader will chant really does sound as though it will add enough variation.

JonathanKK: The Laudes Festiva was really interesting! Thanks for the link to it and the Sandhofe settings!

Protasius: http://issuu-downloader.abuouday.com/view.php?url=siniculus/docs/prophetiarium_xicatunense__2__elect/1 is the link to what you mentioned and is really interesting. However, certainly beyond what most parishes can handle.

So my thoughts, based on what has been found, is to provide the simple text, the recto-tono endings for conclusions and interrogations, the prophecy tone, and I think I want to include the Laudes Festiva tones as well (just for fun). Thank you all so much!

Now, anyone want to help with this project? :-)