Antiphonale Romanum available for PDF download
  • mahrt
    The Musicasacra web site has a good list of pdfs of published chant books. One that has been missing, though, is the Antiphonale Romanum of 1949, which includes the Solesmes markings. It has just been added.
  • tomjaw
    ?
    I spent a few minutes looking through all the links, and thought an update had not yet gone online.

Well this will be excellent, I won't have to think about how to scan my copy!
  • chonakchonak
    Whoops! Bill beat me to the punch. It'll be ready for release over the weekend.
  • Excellent!
  • This book is a rather rare book... Richard Chonak tried to find one we could purchase for this purpose and I believe the copies he found were maybe in the neighborhood of $700 or so (please correct me if I have the amount wrong, Richard).

Dr. William Mahrt had a copy in his library, which he generously loaned to us for the purpose of scanning and posting. For a book of this size, the cost to scan is not insignificant. It cost the CMAA nearly $700 for the scan alone. Then, Richard has spent a fair amount of time adding tabs before posting it in order to make it more easily usable.

Donations to the CMAA from our donors make this work possible. Thanks very much to all!!!
    Thanked by 2Jes Incardination
  • chonakchonak
    Work in progress: it's about 1400 pages.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • tomjaw
    What is very annoying is google has scanned this book, but claim it is under copyright!
  • Is there a way to use this with the Novus Ordo Breviary?
  • chonakchonak
    You could certainly take chant settings of antiphons, hymns, etc., from it.
  • igneusigneus
    ... but you would miss many, oh so many pieces.
  • igneusigneus
    The modern Divine Office has much more pieces (antiphons, hymns, short responsories) than the preconciliar one.
  • Which is not necessarily good. If the psalter were longer, the full sung office would be much harder…
    Thanked by 2Ben tomjaw
  • Can't wait. I'm wearing out my "refresh" button.
    Thanked by 2donr tomjaw
  • chonakchonak
    Silly me. I should have known I wouldn't have gotten it done over the weekend. When do any of us get stuff done (other than performing) on the weekend? :-)
  • chonakchonak
    The Antiphonale Romanum (Liber Antiphonarius), 1949 edition, with appendices and updates to 1960, is now on-line.

We have two PDF versions of the file. One has full-quality scanned images, and I've added bookmarks for convenience: the book is 1597 pages long.
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/liber-antiphonarius-1960.pdf

A more compact file (with lower image resolution and no bookmarks) is at
    http://media.musicasacra.com/books/liber-antiphonarius-1960-compact.pdf

I'm very happy to see this offered; it provides a missing piece for people who have wanted to observe the traditional Office.
  • This is splendid.

The scan is also more complete than the library copy I have access to; for one, I don't seem to have the insert (dated 1960) for the feast of St. Joseph the Worker.

However, as far as rubrics go, it does not seem to have been updated past the year 1955, as the section "Mutationes in Antiphonali juxta novissimas rubricas" (Changes in the Antiphonale according to the most recent rubrics) is still talking in terms of doubles, and simples, with the new news being that the rite of semi-double is now suppressed, etc.

What I have been thinking, though, is that a very sensible thing to do to achieve an all-in-one "Antiphonale Romanum 1962" would be to diligently assemble just such a "Mutationes" section, taking into account all the '62 rubrics and providing the '60 calendar and so forth, and then append it to the front of this AR 1949 in a reprint edition.

[Until then, to use this AR 1949 in a '62 fashion, one must still look up the order for the '62 office in an external resource such as the Roman Breviary or divinumofficium.com.]

Be that as it may, having this online is a great happening, and may there be repercussions.

Deo gratias.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • matthewjmatthewj

may there be repercussions

• MatthewRoth
    The 1961 Liber still labels things as doubles, so all is good.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • My iPhone is not loading the bookmarks. Is it just not something that would not transfer with the file over a mobile device, or are they missing?
  • In Adobe Reader, I have to pull down and click on:

View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Bookmarks

You might look for something like that with your viewing program (or make sure you haven't got the un-bookmarked file by mistake).
  • chonakchonak
    The "compact" version now has basic bookmarks, per the Index Generalis.
    Thanked by 1JonathanKK
  • igneusigneus
    Page 244 (Psalm antiphons for Saturday of the last week of Advent) is missing from the pdf. Is it missing also in the printed book? Or could it's scan eventually be added?

(Not true. It was just me, confused by the user interface of my pdf viewer.)
  • tomjaw
    Now we need someone to put it up on Gregobase...