Preschool: Teach Gregorian Chant with PVC and Plasticine CHEAP!
  • JesJes
    Okay
    SO...
    Looking for a preschool option for teaching chant?
    Come no further than Victoria Australia!
    I have done something I am actually proud of.

My preschoolers (age 2-4) can WRITE chant. :)

So you will need
    1. 1.5metre length WHITE PVC pipe (um like 5ft or something) Diametre of 142mm
    2. Black 18mm electrical tape I get them in packs of 20metres but you wont need much. I highly reccommend checking you dont have nitto brand as the writing is imbedded into the tape...
    3. Plasticine.

step 1. Wash and dry the tube. it's dusty and rank coming out of the shops
    step 2. in four line stave format use the black electrical tape and tape it to the outside of the pipe all the way around til it meets itself then cut and do the next line. This is really super hard to do in a straight line so mine is super wonky but kids give no wukkas about that. In retrospect I should have used my desk clamp to hold the pipe whilst I taped. But yeah aim for straight lines. Blokes will probably know how so shout out to blokes HOW???
    step 3. hand out plasticine to the class. If you have people with synaesthesia they can elect to choose a colour for a particular note. You can also use colours for teams for chant trivia or colours for individual people e.g. the three year old girl in my class is obsessed with pink so she likes to be pink.
    So say you want the child to find MI and doh is the top line of the stave, explain how to count up to MI and where the bottom doh is and get everybody to use their finger to count up and sing the notes as you ascend to MI and then place their plasticine on that note. I am surprised the kids seem to always get this right and they work really well in a team when using this and we are all singing and learning and completely oblivious because it feels like a game. :)
    Also you can use white board markers but they dont rub off too well. but they work.
    I use the tube to make compositions and I use blue tack with laminated words to stick the words underneath.

I also sometimes use a long length of leather with neumes made of little pieces of leather or felt that can be placed onto the stave. it makes a good table runner too.

Enjoy Montessori style chant teaching! let me know if the link works. I can't upload the file.

https://video-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13815580_544464482403635_1685790333_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjMwMCwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoic3ZlX3NkIn0=&rl=300&vabr=105&oh=bbb28d8f83bddd00d43340cabaf33504&oe=57D801D2
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    URL signature expired

Can you post a cool URI to a video?
  • SalieriSalieri
    Plasticine

OK, who else is thinking of The Beatles?
  • chonakchonak
    To share the URL of a video from Facebook, get the link from its time-date marking.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, some of us have no idea of what Plasticine is, apart from its mention in the Beatles song. It's apparently the brand name of a modeling clay used in "Claymation" animated movies, and similar in some ways to "Play-Doh".
  • tomjaw
    Yes, Plasticine is a brand name for modelling clay, (In British English most people call it by the brand name).

Play-Doh (another brand name) I believe is not clay based and is easier to work with because it is softer, and less prone to temperature changes effecting the workability.
  • JesJes
    Plasticine = best stuff ever. Doesn't go off, and is quite sticky and oily and not too many kids are allergic to it. Yes it is the same as Modelling Clay sorry.

https://www.facebook.com/missearle.launcher/videos/1619048345073647/?l=2735769917943676602
    I think I found it.
    It's not very genius, I may have talked it up.
    But the kids LOVE it.