Help re: chanted office for youth conference
  • I've been asked to coordinate the music for a small diocesan youth conference in a few weeks, and I need some guidance regarding organization / resources for the chanted night prayer and morning prayer. I'm familiar with how to actually chant these from conferences I've attended and my personal devotions, and there is a priest / chaplain who will help as well. But I was wondering if anyone had advice for me.

I'm sure there are other considerations I'm not thinking of, but the specific question I have is what kind of permissions I need for use of materials? I though I would use the Mundelein Psalter (we are going to use English for this), and while it's not overwhelming (e.g. not as many Psalms), the tones seem fine. However I assume I can't make copies of that without permission? Will they give me permission? Is there some other collection or resource for chanting the office that I could use permission-free and without my having to produce a lot of materials?

Also, I was going to use a hymn out of Fr Weber's book of hymns for the office.

Any other points, suggestions, issues to flag?
  • You can point the psalms yourself. I strongly recommend the Gregorian tones, but other systems, such as David Clayton’s new system, would work without requiring permission to copy. In this case, you could pick a tone, e.g. 8G which is almost always used for Compline in the Brev. Romanum, and set the antiphon to a shorter version of the psalm tone.
  • canadashcanadash
    You can write to the Liturgical Institute at Mundelein and see if they give you permission to use their work for your needs that weekend. It's good advertising. http://www.liturgicalinstitute.org/contact
  • Bob_Nardo.

Use the tones in the Liber Usualis and avoid the problem of copyright permissions.
  • I second Matthew's sage advice - the Gregorian tones are THE psalm tones of the Catholic Church, regardless of language. There is no excuse for avoiding them, much as even highly respectable chant scholars are wont to do. After all, the one-size-fits-all mentality of most substitutes is so attractive to some. I also second David Clayton's new system, far and away better than other Gregorian alternatives on offer.
  • ghmus7
    However, you might consider the Mundeline psalter. It is very easy for those new to the office.
  • ghmus7
    Oops, I see that this was mentioned. I have found them responsive to questions. They have a website I believe.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • BGP
    I will third the Clayton tones, they are built off the Gregorian and the pointing system is clear and straightforward.