St "Mother" Teresa Antiphon?
  • Just having a last minute idea of singing an extra antiphon tomorrow to commemorate Mother Teresa's canonization.

First thought was the Magnificat antiphon from the common of virgins: Veni, sponsa Christi, accipe coronam, quam tibi Dominus praeparavit in aeternum. (Come, bride of Christ, receive the crown which the Lord has prepared for thee forever). Very appropriate for a canonization, no?

Second thought was looking a little farther afield in the 1934 Antiphonale Monasticum. Here's the Mag. antiphon for the common of non-virgin woman saints: Manum suam aperuit inopi, et palmas suas extendit ad pauperem, et panem otiose non comedit. (She opened her hands to the needy, and stretched out her hands to the poor, and she did not eat the bread of idleness). Very fitting for Mother Teresa, no?

I'm leaning toward the latter. This is an added antiphon or motet, following the Mass propers for the 16th Sunday after Pentecost. Any thoughts?
    By the way, does anyone know what would be propers for the new saint? Is that published as part of the canonization decree? My guess would be common of virgins.
    Thanked by 1canadash
  • I would imagine that using the Propers from the Common of a Virgin, Non-Martyr would be appropriate.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • PLTT
    The Commons given for Mother Teresa (at the time of the beatification itself) were the Common of Virgins or Common of Holy Men and Women: For Religious, or Those Who Practiced Works of Mercy.

But even apart from that, the rubric (3d) at the beginning of the Commons allows the use of the Common of Holy Men and Women for any saint, even if they fall into another category.
    Thanked by 1David Sullivan
  • The proper Antiphon is the Veni Sponsa Christi (Palestrina wrote a beautiful polyphonic version of this). In the EF, the votive Mass for her, the common on virgin, not a martyr would be used by a priest who wished to celebrate her Mass. Furthermore, virgins hold a special place in the Church and in Heaven. Let's give Mother Teresa her proper Honor.