How to source a rehearsal venue
  • JesJes
    Okay, so I started a choir last fortnight with three people.
    Yesterday was second rehearsal and we had 8 people
    And I have recruited around 6 more and now it is time to find a large enough space to rehearse in.
    How do people do this?
    How do you afford printing?
    Does anybody charge a choir fee?

We don't have choral facilities really.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • I have started choirs in several places we lived (moved around a lot until four years ago) and often found myself in a similar situation... I found that just buying an inexpensive laser printer and purchasing the toner online cheaply was the simplest route for me. It wasn't a huge cost, yet worked fine with all the free music that is available. I also encouraged them all to buy a parish book of chant (I purchased them in bulk and gave them to them at my cost, so it wasn't a big expense for anyone).

As for a rehearsal space, will your parish allow you to use space even if you aren't directly sponsored by them? It never hurts to ask...
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Scott_WScott_W
    What she said, ask the parish because the worst that happens is they say no. Then maybe ask around local community centers, colleges, etc.

It sounds like you are building it and they are coming. Please dish! What kind of choir? Purpose, etc.? Always like to hear growth stories like this.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • BenBen
    You might ask around at other parishes too, especially ones with schools or larger parish centers. I had rehearsal in a classroom for a few weeks at a neighboring parish when parish politics didn't allow us to rehearse in our normal location.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • a_f_hawkins
    Round here our best options are churches of non-Catholic denominations, which hire rooms at very reasonable rates, and generally don't mind their worship spaces being used for other decorous activities. YMMV
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • What is the raison d'etre of this choir?
    Sacred music?
    To sing at mass? (now? in the future?)
    Does your priest even know about it?
    Does your choirmaster know about it?
    Most choirmasters would want to have cognizance and oversight of such groups and do not like 'loose cannons' around that may undercut the musical culture they are nourishing - and which is their rightful purview. (Not that you would do that.)
    Surely a suitable room somewhere in your parish could be used.
    Lacking all the suggestions by others above, there is always your home or those of your choristers.
    Good luck!
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • RE: Printing

If this is near a college, befriend a college student. They almost always have enough "printing capabilities" built into their budget that they are left with a surplus.

At our Society chapel, we get plenty of printing because our director emeritus is a real estate agent and can regularly print off music (and get it stapled, none the less!) with his fancy printer at work. "Despoiling the Egyptians" is one of our time-honored traditions.

RE: Space

Do you have a library nearby? Sometimes they can rent out spaces, but don't know hw much they cost.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • chonakchonak
    I'll endorse Janet's point about printing: laser printers don't cost a lot, and doing your own printing saves the time you would otherwise spend on going to copy-shops. A further tip: if you plan for your choir to use 3-ring binders, buy the paper pre-punched.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Sorry context below!
    It's a parish choir to train up members for the other choir that has dwindling numbers due to health of older members and work commitments of younger members just finished uni.

I am the music director at the parish, I choose to let another person run the regular choir as he always has and I value his knowledge and skills. The priest has asked me to make another choir to boost numbers and feed into this choir. Loose cannons in the past have really genuinely bothered me. No this group is by permission from all involved and I am merely the teacher who hopes to educate them to give them the opportunity to get past the audition for the auditioned choir.

No monetary resources from the parish are available due to recent roof restoration and organ rebuild project.
    Already am using the presbytery dining room to rehearse but this is a problem when the priest has a special occasion such as lunch with the bishop etc.
    Officially choir is now too big to legally fit into loft due to OHS laws in Aus.
    The school neighbouring won't let our parish use resources because they belong to a rival liberal Catholic parish.
    We already use the church as a Latin mass parish.

Should I be more pushy and ask the parish for some funds? At the moment I'm funding this all myself and whilst I am grateful to have this job and have the opportunities that come with the job, the costs involved are amounting to more than I'm being paid. I'm considering asking the local counsel for funding and rehearsal space or asking members to pay a fee.

Thoughts?

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Well, it seems you should have some basic assistance from the parish if you are starting the choir at the wishes of the pastor and you are the music director.

Copying: Ask for access to the parish copy machine... that costs the parish virtually nothing and will likely be much faster than an at-home copy machine.

Rehearsal: Where does the other choir rehearse? It seems that you should be able to use the church if you schedule it when there is no conflict on one weekday evening. I have my choir rehearse in the church exactly where they sing on Sundays...

Before asking the members to pay a fee, I'd be more likely to ask for reimbursement of your costs from the pastor. I'm sure the amount is very modest and that he would be able to do it. Particular books (such as PBC or other) that you use could still be something the individuals buy (then they can freely put their own markings in them). This also would make the amount you request much less...

Sales: I watch the "back to school" sales for my supplies... For example, when it is that time of year is when I buy more 3-ring binders and pencils. I assume the same type of things go on sale down under :)
    Thanked by 2Jes JL
  • JesJes
    Thanks Janet,
    The other choir rehearses in the dining room but as I said much smaller only 4 people.

The church loft is available but our number is too big to fit that space safely.
    Here is the real shock factor... The parish doesn't have a functioning copy machine... Yup, that also surprises me.

I'm investing in books, the last thing I want to do is copy midweek for rehearsals. We are going to need to buy hymnals, and chant books, and I was thinking of then only using copy machines for motets which is really affordable for me. It's the hymnals and chant books I can't do alone. Not in the initial start up anyway.
  • Can you distribute by email and have the members print themselves?
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • For books, ask the members to purchase their own. With the offer that you will buy them back (for resale to someone else) if they leave, or that they can keep them if they want.

Re venues - what about downstairs in the church? TBH, I am confused why you are training more members, when you sing from a loft that sounds like it cannot accommodate any more.

It's almost unheard of to ask church choir members to pay a fee. I wouldn't recommend it. The parish should be covering incidental costs, at least.
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • Wow! That is surprising... no copy machine. What an interesting situation!

Well.. as to books, I agree that the members could buy their own with a buy-back policy (as long as they haven't destroyed them haha).

Ask your pastor where he will want this new choir to be during liturgies once they are skilled enough to do so... will it be downstairs on one side of the altar, the first few rows? Wherever that is,it seems you could practice there... if you are currently doing without an organ where you are rehearsing, it seems you could practice almost anywhere and get the job done. If you cannot sing from the loft, then another spot must be determined anyway... better sooner than later...

Personally, I think being at the church is the best location, even if another location (library, etc.) were available.

Our parish had a really terrible copy machine in the choir room that limped along for a couple of years when I first returned here... when it finally was broken beyond repair and we had none to use, I just ordered one myself (very inexpensive laser type mentioned above) for about $150 (US). When my choir found out, another member donated about 1/2 the cost to help out... Even though we have books, I find having the copy machine to be very helpful... Maybe you could find something like that there and suggest that the pastor buy it for the parish and allow you to use it. It would help everyone...
    Thanked by 1Jes
  • JesJes
    Yeah the church would normally be my solution too but for Saturday rehearsals it isn't great because it is all hustle and bustle on that day. Maybe I'll change the day.
    The new choir won't exactly be singing at masses. They are very much a theory, audition preparation choir to get people ready for the formal choir. We are in charge of more evangelical things such as when the parish moves to other churches to do mass. As we are not a home parish, we are a personal parish and move around a fair bit.
    Situations where this choir steps in is such like "we need a tenor for Byrd 4" and we poach them out of my group who go into depth on how to read Byrd 4 for weeks so that those in the auditioned choir don't have to rehearse a tenor for weeks and can just do their two rehearsals and into mass. Then when my choir has learned Byrd 4 on a more solid basis we might go to the cathedral to sing it at a youth event or pilgrimage.
    The loft can currently fit 12 but the trainee choir has 14. If you take away people who regularly serve at mass then we actually have around 8 which would work for feeding into the auditioned choir. We like to keep it relatively small in the auditioned choir because of the OHS issue.

Hmm I think I will ask my parish for more support. They already have given me a lot and helped a lot but this really does need it.
  • CharlesW
    Look around your city. I have allowed choirs in your situation to have rehearsal space in my building. There are other similarly crazy music directors out there if you look for them. LOL.
  • Liam
    It's one excellent purpose for which an old church that no longer can be sustained by a parish could be put: a choral rehearsal space (if the local musicians and angels can be persuaded to fund it).
  • The loft can currently fit 12

• JesJes
    @stimsoninrehab YES it is.
    Nah our organ is in the stupidest spot. Could totally fit more if it were not right in the middle or if it were closer to the wall or something then we could fit either side but the other issue is weight. The loft is possibly as unsafe as the organ is unsturdy. haha.

and thanks guys.
  • JesJes
    Also problem solved. The local cafe decided to give freebie lunches on Saturdays to my priesty mates so I get the presbytery! YAY!