Looking for a knowledgeable Latinist who would like to have some fun with the language
  • ceil
    Hello,

I'm afraid this doesn't have anything to do with chant (and I do hope the web fathers will look kindly upon this post, because I have been hung for quite a while on a project, and a friend who is part of this forum suggested that I subscribe to Musica Sacra and post here in the hope that someone will get me unhung).

I am a long-time church resource musician with a degree in choral music who plays, among other things, diatonic autoharp (very seriously, including hymns and dance music of the 16th century). Some years ago, I began a "movement" having to do with autoharp ergonomics within the greater autoharp community. There is good information that I need to share on my web site for the community's benefit. I drafted a logo for The Fabacaean Order of the Hip Pouch (FOHP) a couple years ago, but it begs for a clever-sounding slogan in Latin to finish its look. There's the rub: I have only sung Latin, not studied it.

Studies in French and Italian tells me that verb and noun cases need to agree in Latin; I manipulated several slogans in English and put them through Google Translator in the hope of a cool translation, but I sensed that grammar agreement was still off. (It also doesn't help that some of my chosen words seem to be more recent than the time of Latin's common usage!) I had found a high-school Latin class locally (Denver, Colorado), but that unfortunately occurred too close to the end of the 2015 school year and the teacher has since not replied to my emails.

Now that a new and exciting ergonomic development has come to the fore in the last couple of weeks, I need to get this page up and running. The only thing blocking page completion is a slogan in Latin for the logo. (I'd also like a pin-drop map of the world, but that's another issue. My site is on Wordpress, just in case someone can point me in a direction.)

I am looking for someone with enough Latin knowledge who would like to have a little fun with the language. (Anyone here is welcome to forward this message to Latinists they know.) I have a list of short slogans in English ready to send, and am happy to forward the logo, as well as tell some more about FOHP itself.

It's fine for an individual or a class to take this on (I was thinking a Latin class would enjoy taking a whack at some practical application by translating the slogans). Your name will appear on the page, with a photo if you like, and I'm happy to send "the winner" one of my CDs for his/her time. The FOHP page isn't up yet, but interested parties are welcome to roam around my site, www.thedulcimerlady.com, to see what I'm all about. Photos of the hip pouch, with down-to-earth discussion, appear about 3/4 of the way down at www.thedulcimerlady.com/faqs/ouch.

Thank you very much, and I'll hope that my next post will have something to do with chant!
  • CGM
    Sign up for this group. Your request is just what these folks do, and in my experience, they're very helpful (and prompt!).
    Thanked by 1chonak