Derivative of "Lift High the Cross" : "Crucifer Waltz"
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I never expected anything like this, although perhaps I should have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XJ4iDP0D_I
  • chonakchonak
    The video isn't working for me there, but maybe this link will do it.
  • ronkrisman
    This description was provided with the video:
    A short waltz for trumpet and piano by Layton James, irreverently based on the Lutheran hymn "Lift High the Cross." Reminiscent of French salon music, it is a prime example of what can come out of a partially-demented mind that obviously doesn't have enough to do. This is a recording of the world-premiere on June 19, 2016 at Bethel Lutheran Church in Hudson, Wisconsin, performed by the composer at the piano and cornetist Mel Olson.

Actually the two hymn writers (Kitchin and Newbolt) and the tune composer (Nicholson) for "Lift High the Cross" were all Anglicans.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • MatthewRoth
    What do we think?! It actually was interesting to me…
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm currently unable to unhear.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Just to make clear, I know the composer and the cornet player, the latter being a good friend of mine who sings with me in two vocal ensembles based in Hudson. I share both Matthew's and Melo's reactions.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m also impressed by the musicianship; the cornet player sounds like a fine player.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • I'm also....

Which brings up the not irrelevant matter of taste and musical worth as elemental aspects of 'musicianship'. It isn't possible for me to conceive that presumed 'musicanship' redeems an essentially worthless music. Others, I think, do not have such qualms.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I’m also impressed by the musicianship; the cornet player sounds like a fine player.
    Mel is an outstanding trumpet/cornet player ... and a very good tenor, too.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    worthless music

Therein lies the rub here, IMHO. How much craft is actually employed by altering a time signature whilst keeping the essential harmonic structure in tact? A computer can do that. In my own experience I've done the reverse, moving a waltz into common. But I completely altered the progressions, and to my taste, improved the concept of the tune.
  • MatthewRoth
    As was correctly understood above, I was referring to his horn playing. I played low brass for five and a half years in middle & high school, so I appreciate brass.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen