Bagpipe playing at the procession and recession.
  • we are planning to have patriot day mass on Sep. 11. we used to have bagpiper at the outside of the church.
    and people told me pipes is not allowed to play inside the church. but they don't know the reason.
    any resources why it is not allowed to play inside the church?
    thanks!
  • CharlesW
    Because the congregation will kill you. LOL.

I know of no law that prohibits bagpipes.
    Thanked by 1Saspnmusic
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I know of no law that prohibits bagpipes.

"Badges? Badges?!? I don't got to cho you no steenkeeng badges!
    Thanked by 2Saspnmusic CharlesW
  • Carl DCarl D
    My opinion? It's purely practical. Bagpipes are stunningly loud. So have them in a church - that's 7 blocks away. :-)
    Thanked by 3Saspnmusic CCooze Jani
  • there are no prohibits, but it's mostly too loud to play inside the church.
    Thanks for your comments!
  • JL
    By bagpipes, I assume you mean highland pipes, yes? A zampogna or a musette, or even a softer gaita would be just fine indoors.

The bigger question here is what the pipes will be playing. "Amazing Grace"? Okay, I guess. "Scotland the Brave"? Absolutely not.
    Thanked by 1Saspnmusic
  • yes. highland pipes, and like amazing grace, Christ before us, etc.

JL - Sorry, I don't know how to comment on your comment.
  • jefe
    We have a pretty good piper in our midst and he plays Kirkin of the Tartan every year at Holy Trinity Church for the gathering of the Celts in our community. He is cognizant of how loud pipes happen to be and has a 'church' set that has much softer reeds. It's almost tolerable. Almost. It's still the antithesis of Compline. Usually processional and recessional and one hymn: Amazing Grace. The problem is the pipes are not tuned to any know pitch center (like A:442Hz) and cannot be accompanied by any fixed pitch instrument. You must tune to the drones. I have heard his loud pipes for outdoor events, and that sucker is loud and maybe even appropriate during the Boor War. Being that I'm a former orchestral bass trombonist, I know loud. Maybe appropriate for Marching to Pretoria or Scotland the Brave.
    Thanked by 2Saspnmusic Viola
  • jefe - Thanks for your information.
    He used to play at my church even before I started to work as a director. We have a procession with Knight of Columbus, officers and boy/girs scouts before the priest coming. Liturgy committee has asked me if I can call piper for the procession and recession (before Father's procession), so I'm checking if there are some prohibits as liturgical musically. When I've heard playing last time, it was not that loud (maybe he adjusts the tone,, ), even if my church is not big enough..
    and he plays alone. =)

• Maybe the people think that Highland bagpipes should not be played inside the Church because they used to be a weapon - to terrify the enemy.

I have to ask.... "Amazing Grace" is a Catholic hymn?!
    what kind of grace is it singing about?
    Not sacramental grace - there is no mention of sacraments, it's jes' you 'n' me, God.
    and not actual grace - actual grace does not save, not even a wretch like me.
  • OK, I meant the songs from Catholic music book publisher.

• thanks !! :-)
    Thanked by 1Saspnmusic
  • CharlesW
    Maybe the people think that Highland bagpipes should not be played inside the Church because they used to be a weapon - to terrify the enemy.

And probably still do. LOL. There is the old joke about what is the difference between a bagpipe and an onion? No one cries when you slice a bagpipe.
    Thanked by 2Saspnmusic tomjaw

• lol Charles W - I've long thought that people who have a trace of Scots blood in them like the pipes, and those who don't... don't.
    I asked me Da, do we have any Scotch in us?
    Yes, he deadpanned, about a fifth.

I now return you to your original thread, Saspnmusic.
    Thanked by 1Saspnmusic
  • CharlesW
    Actually, my mother's family on both sides was Scottish. Pipes are still not my favorite instrument, and why do they ALWAYS play "Amazing Grace?" LOL.
    Thanked by 1Saspnmusic
  • When my husband and I were stationed in Germany in the 80's (before the wall came down), the regiment used to have formal functions in a nearby castle... they had bagpipers come (I think they may even have been from one of the military units in the British sector) to play during those events... in a huge castle, it was still loud, but somehow very fitting... I'm not sure if you would get the same sort of effect for a church service. (btw, my husband doesn't have a drop of Scottish blood, but absolutely loves them).
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Could he stand in the narthex and play with the doors to the nave closed?
  • Pipes in church on certain occasions would not be strange to some stripes of Anglicans. Not, though, within a liturgical context - unless it was St Andrew's day or something like that. St Thomas' Episcopal School, here in Houston, where I have piano students, has a world class and highly decorated pipe and drum corp. They routinely play at graduations and other similar events in the church. For those of us who love pipes, they are never too loud. They are marvelously thrilling. It is said that the last infantry charge in history led by pipers was that of the Black Watch at a certain battle with the Afrika Korps in the second world war. The Germans were terrified of them and called them the ladies from hell.

(Incidentally - it was the Romans who brought bagpipes to the British Isles.)
  • Unless you're in Scotland, how do bagpipes conform to the celebration of Patriot Day?

On the subject of suitability: when most people think of bagpipes do they think of Patriot Day (outside of Scotland, where it's better known by its Gaelic title, Fraigh Glasgow)? If, in the minds of ordinary people bagpipes have secular associations, this is isupposed to rule out their use in the church building, and certainly at the public worship of the Church.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • ViolaViola
    As an ex-pat English person living in Scotland:
    To my knowledge there is no such thing in Scotland as patriot day (we're not in Glasgow) but the SNP might well bring it in.
    The Scots are well aware of the properties of their national instrument and in my experience bagpipes are always played outside the church, commonly at weddings, sometimes funerals. Apart from one disastrous occasions where two of them played the Skye Boat song inside a church to accompany a hymn called 'Spirit of God'. Ear-splitting. They were in a sort of E flat. Thankfully this was never repeated.
    In these parts they don't usually accompany singing at all, the purists wouldn't stand for it, except for Flower of Scotland etc at rugby matches. They tend to stick to traditional music, pibrochs etc, although I did hear of one (outside) play Faith of our fathers to the tune 'Sawston'. The scale they're tuned to doesn't seem to accommodate most hymns. Even 'Flower of Scotland' has to have its 3rd-last note altered when played on the pipes.
    Today I'm playing for a wedding and there will be a piper outside (fortunately rain is not forecast).
  • MatthewRoth
    Pipes have a military association as well as one with funerals, hence the use on the anniversary of 9/11 (I refuse to call it Patriot Day: it’s a name which has never caught on & gets easily confused with Patriots’ Day in Massachusetts.)
  • tomjaw
    St Andrew's day would be the closest us Scots have to Patriot's day.

N.B. Bagpipes are not the sole preserve of the Scots,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagpipes
  • CharlesW
    I understand some early organs had drones on them to simulate bagpipes. I have never seen one of them, but have heard and read they existed.
  • JL
    Veering a bit off-topic, what Mass will you be using for Patriot Day (which, for several reasons, is a terrible name for the observance, and not just in Massachusetts)? I'm not too conversant with all the votive Masses possibilities out there, and the Mass of the day with some extra national-day trappings would be more than a little weird.
  • Pipes are still not my favorite instrument, and why do they ALWAYS play "Amazing Grace?" LOL.

don't get me started. lol
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Personally, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE bagpipes along with the drums! I haven't a pinch of Scottish in me (100% German here) but my husband and children (obviously) do. We have a family tartan and my sons proudly wear their tartans in many forms.

But, back to the topic . . . do the pipes assist the Mass? Do they lead the people to focus more on the Eucharist or just draw attention to themselves, like P&W "music"? If the latter, leave them outside (and let me know when they're playing--I'll be there).
  • Liam
    *Patriots'* Day is a state holiday in Massachusetts, the third Monday in April, commemorating the first day of the War for Independence - the holiday goes back to the 1890s. The Boston Marathon is also run that day, since a few years after the observance began.

"Patriot Day" is a much newer observance, authorized by Congress to be proclaimed by presidential proclamation, as a national day of service and remembrance on September 11.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • MatthewRoth
    Quite. I also agree that it’s an awful name for the 9/11 observances.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Scots blood in me, and I love pipes ... organ and bag.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • BGP
    I'm a piper so maybe I can give some insight

There aren't any rubrical prohibitions on the pipes, one could say they are forbidden on principle of not being a sacred instrument in which case pianos and guitars should also be forbidden.
    Generally at weddings and funerals we are asked to play before and after, basically outside of the liturgy where organ could be used. Procession and recession generally shouldn't be a problem. I'm of the opinion that they are absolutely inappropriate inside of the liturgy.

There is a recent novelty of playing hymns on the pipes, I consider it a tacky. Many if not most pipers can't stand "amazing grace" but people know it so that's what they ask for it, it was introduced in the 70s at the world competition as a "showstopper".

They are loud with one volume setting, but I doubt they are louder than a pipe organ at full bore.

As someone mentioned there are lots of other types of bagpipes other than the GHB, it is my understanding that the native Spanish variety has been used for religious processions for centuries.

A little warning- here in the US there are a lot of hacks doing gigs who have no business playing in public. Make sure your piper can, at the very least, tune their instrument.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Yes, you need to have a piper who knows how to tune the instrument. It is even possible to adjust the instrument somewhat to the organ. (Of course, some digital organs have a tuning adjustment themselves.)

There are any number of hymns that can be played by bagpipe and organ. "Amazing Grace" is only one of them. And even "Scotland the Brave" is OK as a Postlude after the Recessional, which isn't part of the Liturgy anyway.

Also, please note that even the Highland Bagpipe is not really that "loud". It gives the impression of being so by its reputation, but really can't compare to a good trumpeter, much lest an en chamade reed on a large organ!
  • MatthewRoth
    I’m not really sure “Scotland the Brave” works in this context, however.
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    It's just a bright, quick march, as opposed to the slow air that is "Amazing Grace", and there are a number of organ accompaniments available for it. Believe me, if you can find organ accompaniments to more pieces, bagpipers are really more sick of "AG" than organists are!
  • BGP
    Yes. If the piper has an orchestral or Bflat chanter playing together becomes a possibility.
  • JL
    Because of the drone, I suspect a fair bit of chant would sound excellent on pipes. (I've done other modal music with indoor-grade pipes, fron the cantiga and lauda repertoire, as well as from the Codex Calixtininus.) I'm imagining Victimae Paschali right now, and in my head it's stupendous.
    Thanked by 1Richard Mix
  • we have a lady who plays "Victimae Paschali Laudes' (from the Liber Usualis) on the folk harp (solo), and I must say it's one of the highlights of the Easter Day Mass during distribution of Communion. You feel as if you can really see that garden, with mist rising from the earh in the earliest dawn hours.... or maybe your soul seems like a little boat that gently pushes off from shore floating on that heavenly music. very contemplative.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen