Liturgy of the Hours online text?
  • lmassery
    Hey all - I used to go to Divineoffice.org to get the texts for evening prayer in advance to plan it for our Church, but now that website is restricted. Where can I go online to find the correct translation for the liturgy of the hours several months in advance? A couple sites I found offer it only a week in advance.
    Thanks
    Luke
  • VilyanorVilyanor
    Did you sign up for DivineOffice.org? If you were using it long enough, you can sign up to keep using it.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    www.universalis.com They even have an app for that.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    universalis is what the Laudate app uses.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    FWIW, I like DivineOffice.org
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    With the universals app, you can create an e-book in either epub or kindle format for an entire year if you want. (I do this for our priest every year.) Then you can just go to the date and get the prayers.
  • lmassery
    Yes but is Universalis the correct translation? last time I used Laudate, it wasn't, I think
  • rarty
    Universalis isn't the same translation as in the American breviary. Most noticeably, it uses the Jerusalem translation instead of NAB. The iBreviary app and webpage match the American LOTH, and also helpfully gives both the old-translation prayer, as printed, and the newer version from the Missal.
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • lmassery
    Ok so back to square one - Ibreviary is the correct translation but has only today, Universalis is incorrect but has the future dates available through the app. I need the CORRECT translation for FUTURE dates.
  • lmassery
    Correction, Ibreviary app lets you go a few weeks ahead, but not far enough for my purposes. Why is it so difficult to find the Church's public worship online?! I hate copyright
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Are you not able to get into DivineOffice.org? That should allow you to do what you want to do, so long as you proof the texts. The hymns and concluding prayers (before the blessing and dismissal) are often not correct if you're trying to go by exactly what the breviary says.
  • lmassery
    irishtenor - no I am not able to. Awaiting a reply from them
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    The online version of Universalis is not correct for the U.S., but the paid version of the app is.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • rarty
    Ah, yeah the app seems to go only a couple of weeks ahead, but the version on the iBreviary website does have an arbitrary date selection.

As for Universalis, it is a bit misleading on their site, but I've just checked again, and in the paid version, all of the texts besides the psalms themselves (antiphons, readings, prayers, etc.) are still a different translation than in the US breviary. So, pretty nice for informational/devotional use, but not very good for use in an actual church service.
  • lmassery
    Oh thank you, rarty, you did it. Nice find - the iBreviary website indeed allows you to choose a future date that is the correct translation. yay
  • I remember finding at least one inaccurate reading transcription on divineoffice.org, BTW.
    Thanked by 1lmassery
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    If you're looking for the American text, e-breviary is another one to consider, but this is also a paid subscription service. The advantage to ebreviary is you can print preformatted booklets, but you cannot edit them nor do they post several months in advance.
  • lmassery
    Earl_Grey - thanks, I did know about ebreviary. 3 strikes against it though for planning ahead - can't edit, can't get in advance, not free.