Reading Recommendations
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    A friend of mine is an Eastern Orthodox Christian with little experience with the liturgical tradition of the Western Church. She is a tremendously gifted, truly world-class, musician who is seeking employment in a Catholic parish here in the United States. She has an interview with a "business-as-usual" parish in the Midwest. What sorts of things would you recommend she read between now and then? I want to try to help her get her feet wet in reading about Novus Ordo music and liturgy, but not overwhelm her. Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.
    Thanked by 1EMH
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Eastern Orthodox Christian ... world-class, musician ... business-as-usual" parish

• What to be wary of at a "business-as-usual" parish . . .

• chonakchonak
    Maybe Smolarski's "How Not To Say Mass": it doesn't say much about music, but it is a good example of what is considered good practice from a non-traditionalist point of view.
    Thanked by 2Paul F. Ford Spriggo
  • eft94530eft94530
    between now and then?

What is "then"?
    Are we talking hours days weeks?

Skim read online sources, at least the GIRM.

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/2182/liturgical-music-document-literacy-challenge/p1
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    We're talking 2 days from now is her interview
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Jeffrey Tucker's Sing like a Catholic ?
    Thanked by 1Priestboi
  • Thomas Day's book?
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy (Ratzinger)
    If she is world class, I humbly suggest working for a parish or cathedral with more opportunities. In addition to the scandal of the "business as usual" model, it's highly probably that she will be unchallenged musically.
    If she were my friend, I'd offer her a caution about that. Maybe you already have.
    You want to give her something good. Problem is, a book on the subject that is solid and beautiful... won't be what she finds in an average parish.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    That's kind of my worry, MACW. I think she's used to not being challenged since she's very gifted, but I'm afraid that giving her something GOOD to read about liturgy will lead to her being unsuccessful in a St. Louis Jesuits, Haugen--Haas parish.
  • francis
    I hate to say it, but perhaps finding employment in the opera would be less difficult

I always go into an interview with the intention of me interviewing them.