Benedictus pointed for mode V
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I was pointing the text for the Benedictus to be sung to Tone V, which has a double final accent. What do I do with verse 11?

Per víscera misericórdiae Dei nostri, * in quibus visitábit nos óriens ex alto

Is what feels most natural. If I accent O of Oriens, then there are too many syllables before the the final accent.
  • JonathanKKJonathanKK
    Yes, that is correct.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    The attached PDF has the Benedictus (Latin & English) pointed for tone V and the Magnifcat (Latin & English) pointed for tone VI. The idea was to print these on cards that could fit into the Breviary. 8 1/2 x 14 would work best.

Let me know if you notice any errors or have further suggestions. Since there isn't one absolute way to point the English, this is what felt most natural to me, but I'm open to suggestions.
  • Nice work!
    And a potentiam lesson
    for those unhelpful sorts who say that English and the Gregorian tones don't mix.
    Very nicely done!
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey CHGiffen
  • I agree that it looks nice. I would just note that for psalms for which the flexa (marked in the pointing by a dagger †) is necessary, an example should be shown in the notation (in mode V, the flexa is DÓ - (la) - laa).
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    We treat it as a "simple flex", which is just a breath mark. Especially since it doesn't occur in the Latin.
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson