Saint Bernadette, Scottsdale, AZ - New Church Building
  • ryandryand
    On August 13 the community of Saint Bernadette will celebrate Mass in their new church building.
    (The Rite of Dedication will occur later in the fall/winter once the permanent altar arrives.)

We will have a choir of 23, including some of the best singers from around the diocese.

Within a year the parish came to embrace a program of sacred music including chanted propers and traditional hymnody - and now they'll get to experience it in a truly sacred space.

Photo of the church and worship aid for this weekend are attached.

Thank God for wonderful priests who make these things possible!
    4032 x 3024 - 2M
  • CCoozeCCooze
    How come the Sanctus and Agnus Dei aren't musically notated?
  • ryandryand
    Mass XVIII - the congregation knows it.
  • canadashcanadash
    What a stunning church!
  • Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
  • BenBen
    What a dignified building. Good work, Diocese of Phoenix!
  • Kathy
    Congratulations and best wishes!!
  • Who is your organ builder of choice?
    It's really inspiring to see such a beautiful new church.
    Godspeed.
  • ryandryand
    Organ will be determined later. We have a toaster for the time being.
  • CharlesW
    Nice building!
  • Elmar
    Congratulaituions to your parish, Ryand!

There is something odd (at least to me) with the image: somehow it looks more like a computer model - a very good one, though, with the flooring worker and such - rather than a photogroph ... not sure what it is. Maybe the smooth wall color without cracks and patches? (I have never been in a newbuilt church in traditional style, that might be the reason; we don't have these around in this part of 'old' Europe.)
  • It is both sad and cruel when we musicians insult an instrument that makes worship possible. Can we not grow up? Or must we all remain callous and unfeeling?
  • ryandryand
    Noel,

My comment was in good humor. I am grateful for what we have available. It's actually a wonderful sounding instrument (Roland C-330), and it sounds great in this acoustic.
    Of course we'd love to have a magnificent pipe organ some day, but that takes time & money.

The "toaster" (which I call it with endearing love) is a great addition to our liturgies. It has opened up new possibilities of sacred music to the congregation. If it seems that I am ungrateful to have it at our disposal, I apologize for a perceived negativity. We really love having it here.

The opening of the new church was this evening, and after Mass I could not escape from parishioners and clergy who were just in awe of the heavenly liturgy & music - most of which would not be possible without our beloved toaster.

:)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Spriggo
  • matthewjmatthewj
    St. Bernadette is my territorial parish and I agree with the above assessment that the beloved toaster does sound lovely in the room. It is just a foretaste of things to come when we get a lovely pipe organ installed, but it does sound wonderful for the time being.
  • CharlesW
    I think a lot of parishes would be delighted if they could have facilities like that.
  • BruceL
    @ryand just put on the quarter-comma meantone tuning setting on the Rodgers and play Gift of Finest Wheat every week at communion.

Donations will POUR IN IMMEDIATELY
    Thanked by 3matthewj Liam Kathy
  • ryandryand
    WHARF