Funeral question
  • LenaH
    I was asked to sing for a funeral Mass this Friday. The decedent's daughter requested the Faure "In Paradisum" during the commendation, which I don't know. I found a pdf on cpdl and a video on YouTube, but some of the high notes are out of my range, so singing that is out of the question. The funeral planner suggested other options to the family, including the chanted "In Paradisum," "Requiem Aeternam" and "Lux Aeterna. I know the RE is the introit and LA is the communion antiphon at a Requiem Mass. My question....is either RE or LA appropriate to sing during the commendation, or should I insist on the chanted "In Paradisum?" I have also sung "Hand of God" and Saints of God" from Gather. Please advise.
  • Just bring it down 6 semitones with that handy transposer.
    Jokes aside, I would think that In Paradisum would be required as that is the text for the commendation. I don't think the Gather hymns are a good idea.
  • BenBen
    If you are able, I'd try to just sing the proper chant for that moment, IP.
  • ronkrisman
    The In Paradisum is not a chant for the final commendation; it is the chant for the procession from the church to the place of committal. As it was in the pre-conciliar liturgy, so also it is in the post-conciliar reformed liturgy.

The "Saints of God" in Gather (if you are referring to the setting by Steven Janco) is a setting of one of the approved texts for the Song of Farewell during the final commendation. Brother Howard Hughes' "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" (also in Gather) is a setting of another Song of Farewell during the final commendation. Both of these settings include a musical phrase sung by the cantor and repeated by the people.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    Would the proper chant then be Subvenite?
  • MatthewRoth
    The Subvenite is one option in the new rite. It is the basis for the translation mentioned by Fr. Krisman. There are other chants in the Graduale Romanum, but the original Libera Me was omitted. You can apparently sing the Subvenite at the begining before the Introit like in the old Mass.
  • LenaH
    Just bring it down 6 semitones with that handy transposer.

I wish I played the piano or organ! It would certainly help in learning new pieces!

The "Saints of God" in Gather (if you are referring to the setting by Steven Janco)

Yes, that is the one I meant. "Hand of God" is in an earlier edition of Gather as well as "Saints of God."

The family, I understand, is more traditionally minded when it comes to music for the liturgy, so probably would not agree to either one of those. Given no other options, I think IP is the most appropriate chant, even though technically it is sung during the procession from the church to place of burial. Thank you all for your suggestions.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen
  • RCruz
    There's also a metrical paraphrase of the Subvenite ("Song of Farewell") in the St. Michael Hymnal paired with Old 100th.
    Thanked by 1LenaH
  • LenaH
    RCruz: We have the 2006 edition of the St. Michael Hymnal, and "Song of Farewell" is not included in that edition. The hymnals were purchased only a few years ago, before the new translation, while Worship, 4th Ed. was purchased just this past year, so no new hymnals for our parish for probably many more years.

BTW, the family of the deceased chose the acapella, chanted "In Paradisum" for the commendation.
    Thanked by 2chonak CHGiffen