Clayton Psalm Tones
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Many of you may know of David Clayton, an artist and author who blogs at The Way of Beauty.

He and I are working together on some projects centered around the Divine Office.

For this project we are using his Psalm Tones, which are based on the original Gregorian tones, adapted to for use with English. Each mode has an Antiphon and a Psalm tone, and the only pointing you need to have is a mark on each of the last two accented syllables. (Part of the idea is that a small group or family could pick up any Psalter and quickly point the text with a pencil before singing together.)

There will be a lot more details about this in the near(ish) future, but in the meantime, here are David's tones:

https://github.com/adammichaelwood/pontifex-vernacular/blob/master/psalm-tones/tones.pdf

OH, also:
    The "open" notes on each tone identify an ison (drone) that could be optionally used with the tone.

(If you find any typos, please open an issue on GitHub... or issue a pull request.)
  • Andrew_Malton
    I liked the idea of a set of antiphon melodies as well as a verse formula. I am now wondering how they might work at Mass (with the responsorial psalm).

Adam, notation question: why prefer a dotted punctum for reciting, instead of a white one, as might be more usual? Just askin'
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Adam, notation question: why prefer a dotted punctum for reciting, instead of a white one, as might be more usual? Just askin'

So that the white notes for the ison would be more obvious.

Is it confusing?
  • Interesting!
    Far more interesting than some others, such as those in the Mundelein Psalter that have become ubiquitous in recent years. Especially commendable is the slightly more developed formula for antiphons and responsories. This is, compared to what most people are doing, a stroke of genius. (Best of all, though, is composing or improvising a very simple chant-like melody in the appropriate mode.)

Still, the idea behind all of them is (take your choice, or choose both) that 1) we just have to give people something easier, more 'accessible', than the Gregorian tones (even though we know and assume that for most people, being what most people are, these easier ones will become standard replacements of the Gregorian tones), 2) the Gregorian tones were conceived of for Latin, and singing them to English is impossible - and, even if the Anglicans manage it quite well and it isn't impossible, that doesn't count and it's still, ipso facto, impossible, plus 3) who needs the Gregorian tones anyway?

Still, I would gladly choose these Clayton tones as preferred replacements of the Gregorian tones - if I had to, which I don't, and won't.

It's interesting, I think, that at a local Episcopal school of high repute, the entire student body of about 700 students (K-12) sing the Coverdale psalter to the Gregorian tones at chapel every day. Of course, what these students are doing is impossible - but they don't know that.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Mildly confusing only. Surprising looking. But I doubt (having looked at many) that there are any two chant books with the same notation. People just have to get used to a new book; and they do.

MJO: agreed, much more interesting that the Mundelein. For one reason, they have a single tenor (reciting tone) instead of two or four or six per verse*. I think that makes the mediant and final cadences much more satisfying.

(*I blame Joseph Gelineau for that so very-peregrine style of psalm tone. But these are nothing like those, thankfully.)
  • ...white notes for ison...

I sort of agree with Andrew. If the white note is reserved for the ison (which is fine) then the traditional way of indicating the reciting tone is to show three or four repeated notes sort of grouped together. Either that, or make the reciting tone a white note and put the black ison in parenthesis. The dotted note is really kind of bizarre - especially since the dot, itself, has the more or less universal meaning of temporally elongating the note (syllable) it follows.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    My suggestion: In the gabc code, use r0 (rather than r) for the isons, and use r for the reciting notes.

r0 puts a little | | around the white note (much like a modern double whole note).

See http://gregorio-project.github.io/gabc/summary-gabc.pdf
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanks for the notation advice. I will adjust and report back.

in re:
    Still, the idea behind all of them is (take your choice, or choose both) that 1) we just have to give people something easier, more 'accessible', than the Gregorian tones (even though we know and assume that for most people, being what most people are, these easier ones will become standard replacements of the Gregorian tones, 2) the Gregorian tones were conceived of for Latin, and singing them to English is impossible - and, even if the Anglicans manage it quite well and it isn't impossible, that doesn't count and it's still, ipso facto, impossible, plus 3) who needs the Gregorian tones anyway?

So, these are not meant to replace Gregorian tones for public liturgies with professionals in charge. The purpose of this work is for home and small-group lay recitation of the hours. We wanted something that was as authentic as possible, while being easy as possible, and that could be picked up more or less immediately without work.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    For those of you who are David Clayton or "matthewj" fans - there are still a few days to sign up for the event we are doing in the wonderful Diocese of Lincoln.
    http://www.lincolndiocese.org/liturgy/upcoming-events/4812-sacred-music-clinic-2016

Now back to the regular subject of this thread...
  • Andrew_Malton
    I'm thinking now that for these tones you need one sign for "recite on this note" an another sign for "slip in any additional syllables on this note". Maybe using a tristropha as MJO suggests, for the first, and a white punctum à la the Liber, for the second.

I like them. Next week we'll try them out as proposed, in a mixed group of musicians and non-, and see how the current notation works.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Adam Wood
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I'm thinking now that for these tones you need one sign for "recite on this note" an another sign for "slip in any additional syllables on this note". Maybe using a tristropha as MJO suggests, for the first, and a white punctum à la the Liber, for the second.

My experience with these is that such is not needed at all. That might not be clear, though, if you haven't seen the pointing and had someone explain it. I'll be writing brief instructions and doing some pointing samples shortly.
  • UPDATED.

This is far better!
  • SalieriSalieri
    These are wonderful. Though I do have to admit that the thing I am most happy about with these is that Mode III recites on Ti rather than Do.

I think these would work very well for Responsorial Psalms, where the proper Respond changes every week. The people would only have to deal with new words to a familiar formula rather than a completely new Respond each week.

Also, I very much look forward to seeing what the pointing is like for these. (I'd love to try using them.)

(Edited to fix a slight error in nomenclature - an error that not only annoys MJO, but also, usually, me. Mea culpa.)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The pointing is dead simple. Two acute accents, which correspond to the accented notes in the tone. If there are black notes before the accented notes, they fall on the syllable just before.

Ant:
    Lord, keep my sóul from déath, * my féet from stúmbling.

I love the Lord, for he has heard
    the crý of my appéal *
    because he has turned his ear to me as I call on him,
    dáy by dáy.

You could also bold the accented syllables, and use italics on the previous note. But part of the idea here is simplicity. Someone could get their Magnificat subscription out and pencil in the accents (or a small group of people could) and then sing it.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thank you, very elegant.
  • What is the principle for selecting modes?
  • I must get this in... yet again -

Responsorial chants, such as the responsorial psalm and the Alleluya with its verse, have responsories, not antiphons. The very fact that there is a responsory sung by all in answer to a cantor's verses is precisely what and why these chants are 'responsorial'.
    In the case of the Alleluya and Verse, the alleluya itself is the responsory.

Antiphons occur in antiphonal chants, in which the antiphon is sung by two groups after each group alternates singing verses 'antiphonally'.

Remember -
    1) Responsorial chants have responsories (sometimes called 'responds').
    2) Antiphonal chants have antiphons.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What is the principle for selecting modes?

• Liturgical dice!
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I don't see the Gregorian tones as so problematic for English as others seem to. I use them regularly, and set the texts at least tones VI and VIII for Gospel Acclamations. IMO too much is made out of the accented speech patterns in English - so much as to cause multiple note neumes to be divided for extra syllables between accents, and extra epithetical notes to be added. This destroys the character of the tone to me. I have never had a need to employ these deviations, and I make sure the cantor or choir is chanting smoothly and not making too much of the final accents in the text. I also caution them not to make contractions of any words like "every" and "listening" - downplay the middle syllables as you like, I want them them there. And that definitely includes the "o" in Catholic!

Another option that is IMO almost completely ignored is the use of Anglican chant for Psalm verses. It has all of the variables you're looking for within the rules of pointing for Anglican chant. I have used it quite successfully for both modern and traditional English, Latin, and even Spanish. IOW I don't believe in reinventing the wheel!
  • MatthewRoth
    Steve, I tend to split neumes awkwardly, such as the full stop & final stop in the epistle, so obviously I need more practice, but I completely agree.
  • Andrew_Malton
    But Adam you have nine tones, so you need need throw 1d36/4, using 2d6 of different colors.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Perhaps the Tonus Peregrinus antiphon tone could approximate the contour of its antiphons rather than the psalm-verse tone? (I don’t have a handy example, sorry.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Perhaps the Tonus Peregrinus antiphon tone could approximate the contour of its antiphons rather than the psalm-verse tone? (I don’t have a handy example, sorry.)

If you find one, please share. These are under development.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Peregrinus antiphons tend to have an ambitus of Do to Te, starting on Do and with the final on Sol. Sort of beginning like a mode I, and ending like a mode VIII or mode IVd.

c.f. Ant. Deus autem noster, antiphon for Ps. 113 in EF Vespers, Pg. 556 in the Liber Brevior.

c.f. Ant. Nos qui vivimus, antiphon for Ps.113B in OF Vespers, Week II, Pg. 467 in Antiphonale Romanum II.
    Thanked by 1Aristotle Esguerra
  • GregoBase links:

Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • So, aside from capricious mode selection, how does one versify the texts of the Psalms, as given in Christian Prayer: the Liturgy of the Hours? They were clearly not intending sung Psalmody when they formatted the book. Do you sing each line as half a tone, or every two lines?
  • The two portions of each psalm verse are sung to the two halves of a psalm tone.
  • chonakchonak
    The Grail Psalms used in the LOTH book were published with tones by Gelineau. IIRC, each tone has six segments, and often the psalm texts are laid out in six-line groups.

The new Revised Grail Psalter (which is legal for use now in the US) has a similar companion set of tones from Conception Abbey.