Anglophone Mass at WYD 2016
  • MatthewRoth
    Here is a snippet from a Mass celebrated by Cardinal Dolan. It’s just the recessional, and it’s pretty ugly to watch. Why are pontifical Masses often the worst examples of the Novus Ordo Missae? But the anthem is lovely. Can anyone ID it? Twitter link
  • BenBen
    I could make out a line or two that made me think it's a vernacular Sub Tuum.
  • Kathy
    I agree with Ben. Very reverent singing of our most ancient Marian hymn, in an Eastern harmonic chant style. Lovely.
  • MatthewRoth
    Mmm, not to disagree with what you heard, Kathy, but at first listen, it sounded Anglican in style.
  • BenBen
    I'd agree, it almost sounds like it's being put to an anglican psalm tone. That being said, anglican psalm tones sometimes do border on eastern chant style at times.
  • Kathy
    I'm going out on a limb here to guess that it's an Andre Gouzes composition.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The only caveat I offer as having done both versions of Rice's choral Propers- the declamation of the verses chorally ought not to have any mensuration, including full stop phrasing at commas. It is very difficult for the hearer to cognitively follow the narrative with a sort of "herky jerky (that's an academic term!)" exposition. If the ensemble was a "pick up" choir, it's understandable they're not together, but the director can stress an emphasis upon smooth and articulate declamation, ala J.Michael Thompson's Schola of St. Peter the Apostle with Jernberg's "S.P. Neri Mass."
  • Andrew_Malton
    Gouzes, yes, as shown in the Mass booklet I have here. Composed in 1982.
  • CGM
    You can see that recessional (or the entire Mass, if you like) with the Salt+Light Television footage here.

"Beneath the mantle of your compassion," André Gouzes, O.P.
    An anthem to the Blessed Virgin Mary, with the Sub tuum præsidium as the antiphon

Composed with French text, originally; English adaptation by J. Clement