Funeral Mass - Planning Sheets for Music
  • Hello Everyone,

I'm searching for suggestions for good, SACRED, ORTHODOX, Catholic music for a Funeral Mass. I'm curious as to what other people are doing. I am well familiar with the secular stuff that is the "norm" such as Eagles Wings, Shepherd Me, etc... I'm looking for the propers, traditional, theologically sound hymnody, solo repertoire (if any), etc... While I do not think my pastor would allow (yet) a completely Chanted Latin funeral mass, I think he definitely wants to move that way; easing into it.

Any suggestions would be much helpful!!!
  • mmeladirectress
    We have used
    O Jesu Christe (Jacquet of Mantua?)
    Vere Languores (de Victoria)
    we also have used the Miserere Mei (St Gregory hymnal), but i dislike it.

for chant - could you do the EF Introit alternated with Psalm verses? very beautiful.
  • LenaH
    Our funeral planning guide, given to the deceased's family, contains suggested readings, psalm responses, alleluia verses and hymns from which they can choose. In addition to contemporary songs (On Eagles Wings, Amazing Grace, Eye Has Not Seen, etc) listed are more traditional hymns. Included are (All located in St. Michael Hymnal):

I heard the Voice of Jesus Say
    Lord of All Hopefulness
    The King of Love
    The Strife is O'er
    What Wondrous Love is This
    Humbly We Adore Thee
    Jesus My Lord, My God, My All
    O Lord I am Not Worthy
    Panis Angelicus
    Soul of My Savior
    Abide With Me
    Alleluia Sing to Jesus
    Joyful, Joyful We Adore Thee
    Sing With all the Saints in Glory
    To Jesus Christ Our Sovereign King
    In Paradisum (for commendation)

Last summer, my schola sang a Requiem Mass for a parishioner, complete with all chants, Dies Irae, Subvenite when the casket is brought into the church, Libera Me, for the absolution, and Ego sum at the burial site. I am hopeful that others will request this beautiful Mass.

• MatthewRoth
    I would recommend Mass XVIII, which in the new form has only two parts for the funeral (absurd, because the Kyrie pro defunctorum is beautiful). It could also be done in English. The rest of the Mass ought to be sung in the vernacular.

The Lux aeterna at Communion is extremely short, and you can follow it with a hymn or, more practically at that moment and at a funeral, an anthem. I second the Introit.

I would also insist on the In Paradisum, which is in the OCP music book and missalette. I wager very will sing a recessional hymn at a funeral, especially not the family.

I wonder if anyone has made an English chant arrangement, not metrical, of the Subvenite. But sing that instead of a hymn at the coffin. It is a ritual moment to watch & listen.

If you can eek out one more proper, sing the Alleluia verse Requiem aeternam to a psalm tone matching the mode of the Alleluia. I like the XIX Sunday after Pentecost Alleuia & jubilus; it’s relatively easy & short. But at least sing the psalm to a Gregorian tone; in this case, you won’t get the Gradual, I suspect.

Also, why not let a funeral be that way? Everyone else gets their schmaltz… it also isn’t involving the whole parish.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Here is what I use.
  • Here is what we do at the Oakland Cathedral.

My experience has been that most people don't know what music they want at the funeral, and most people typically do not sing at funerals. So unless the family make specific requests we have the cantor usually sing the propers, and do either the Fauré or Gounod Pie Jesu at offertory (depending on male or female voice). While the Heritage Mass by Alstott is far from ideal for an ordinary, it is one that is widely known in my diocese, hence why I use it for funerals at the Cathedral with so many visitors -- to at least promote congregational singing in the ordinary.
    Thanked by 1janetgorbitz