Hymn for feast of St. James
  • kevinfkevinf
    Looking for a hymn to be sung at the end of the feast of St. James. We'll be singing the propers but need a hymn,
  • Kathy
    By All Your Saints Still Striving
    Let All on Earth Their Voices Raise
    Holy God We Praise Thy Name, include the verse that begins Lo, the Apostolic Train
  • Let All Mortal Flesh keep silence?
  • Good offering, Chris!
    Why indeed should not this marvelous paean from the very liturgy of St James have some part in his feast?

Incidentally, while I have nothing but love for the pairing of Moultrie's translation with Picardy, it works well, also, with a number of Gregorian tunes, notably, the mode I tune associated with Crux fidelis, as found in Sir Sidney H Nicholson's Plainsong Hymnbook, a now out-of-print publication under the aegis of Hymns Ancient and Modern.
  • ronkrisman
    Good offering, Chris!
    Why indeed should not this marvelous paean from the very liturgy of St James have some part in his feast?

Why indeed? How about the fact that the upcoming feast on July 25 commemorates James, the son of Zebedee, while the Liturgy of Saint James is ascribed to another James, the leader of the Jerusalem community known as "James, the brother of the Lord"?

By the same reasoning that links the Liturgy of Saint James with Saint James the Great, we may just as well sing our favorite Marian hymns on the feast of St. Mary Magdalene.
  • Mea culpa.
    Thanks.
  • Liam
    RK

We are in the season of Homonymically Equivocal Saints: Mary, Martha, Lazarus, Anne, James, Ignatius....
  • chonakchonak
    Even if the Liturgy of St. James had been named for the St. James (son of Zebedee), it seems to be centuries later, so it's a thin thread with which to tie Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent to July 25.
  • All,

I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest. I'm glad to be informed that I have the wrong St. James, so I can avoid this mistake in the future. If I understand Bill Chonak's point, though, it wouldn't be an evil to use it?

Fr. Krisman,

There is a reason my suggestion was followed by a question mark, but not (alas) because I couldn't remember which James was involved. I was questioning whether the text (sung to Picardy) would be appropriate for a Recessional. I've always thought of the hymn as highly appropriate for Christmas through Epiphany, but if it were sung at Mass (presumably in the vernacular) I would expect it to be sung at the Communion, not at either procession.
  • Liam
    Chris

I could see it at Offertory, but of all placements, Recessional would be least apt.
  • chonakchonak
    About the hymn's Eastern origins: I've only heard it in the Byzantine context in the Holy Saturday service, during the offertory procession, when the text (prose, not the Moultrie version) is very appropriate. Does anyone know whether it's sung in Eastern churches at any other times of year?
  • ronkrisman
    CSG, Please note that my remark was in response to the comment by MJO, who is more often than not spot on in whatever he writes.

And, no, it would not be "an evil" to sing Let All Mortal Flesh on the Feast of Saint James.

[I've deleted a couple of off-topic comments, including a portion of this comment. --admin]
  • Ok. Lift High the Cross?
  • CCoozeCCooze
    God, We Praise You ?
    Too obvious? (she just picked the first hymn she thought of with "martyr" in the text! Yes, yes I did.)
  • Kathy
    Like HGWPTN, GWPY is a translation of the Te Deum, in which the apostles and martyrs are particularly invoked.
  • MatthewRoth
    Is there a good translation of an office hymn for the day?
  • Xav
    "The Eternal Gifts of Christ the King" is Dr Neale's translation of the office hymn, Æterna Christi munera.
    Thanked by 1chonak
  • Mortal flesh, though most commonly sung as a communion hymn, is most appropriate as an offertory, as a careful look at the complete text will make clear. I cannot envision it as anything other than offertory or communion - certainly not entrance, and, even less (as in not at all), dismissal. And, I believe that it's association in orthodox liturgies is with the offertory. I think Chonak pointed this out.