Proposed Organ Specification, TLM-only Parish (purple)
  • NihilNominisNihilNominis
    Has anyone else encountered this mindset? If so, how have you dealt with it?
    (It should be noted that this is a joke; I have collected all of the strange opinions about the place of the organ in the TLM I have met or dealt with and attempted to craft an "ideal" instrument on the basis of them.)
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • mmeladirectress
    Intonations in the Sanctuary = top rank.
    Always.
  • CharlesW
    What! No 8' Festival Mantilla Shredder? Heresy!
  • eft94530eft94530
    After the console is enhanced to include
    Swell to Pedal 8
    Silentium to Pedal 8
    then you can add the CharlesW enhancement.
  • I think that
    there should be a 32' Precentor, the which, probably, would need to be mitred.
    Whatever, its sound should be worthy of the Lord's manipled and great mercies.
    On the other hand (though I stand to be porrected),
    the sound of it might be difficult for the little old ladies to cope with.
  • CharlesW
    Maybe a 16' Homily-phone. It has a non-directional tone that wanders aimlessly and blows excess air.
  • To accompany cantors, surely it needs a Contra Bombarde?
  • CharlesW
    I wish I had a heavy pedal reed so my nearly deaf bass could finally get his pitch. LOL.
  • Nearly deaf cantors

doesn't this go with military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, and other oxymorons?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Ben
  • JesJes
    Surely a transpose button for when the choir goes flat during the unaccompanied verse of the hymn could be made available haha.
  • SalieriSalieri
    What? No tremulant? How can you possibly sing "On this day, O beautiful Mother" without a tremulant?
  • CharlesW
    Then there is the 2 and 2/3 soprano howler.
    But Salieri, there is a Tremblant on the Choir!

You didn't think I could really have overlooked that, did you?
    I contemplated an 8.34' Voix Cleriquois Celeste on the Silentium, as well, to more accurately anticipate the intonations of the Gloria & Credo according to the more common American usage.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Ben
  • a 32' Precentor, the which, probably, would need to be mitred.

Does mitred mean the same as 'gedackt'? If so it would sound as 64'.
  • ...mean the same...

Not the same. Mitred pipes are constructed so that each pipe is bent over at the top, sort of like the handle of an umbrella. By this means very lengthy pipes can fit into a space that would not accommodate them if they were full length, or not mitred. Being 'mitred', and not 'stopped' (as is your gedeckt), the vibrating air column achieves its normal length, though it is 'bent' - whereas in your stopped pipe the vibrating column hits the stopper, and doubling back doubles its length, thusly sounding an octave lower than it would were the stopper removed. Mitred elements are also made use of in carpentry, and, likely, other constructional disciplines.
    Thanked by 1Andris Amolins
  • SalieriSalieri
    Here are some mitred pipes in the dome pedal organ at St. Paul's in London.
  • Liam
    For a model of a tremulant voice, one could hardly do worse than the inimitable Anna Russell singing "I love the spring" (start at the 1:27 mark for the 30 seconds of explanation preceding her vocal illustration...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSduWYqB0A8
  • JonLaird
    Don't forget the 2-note 128' Trompette Apocalyptique en Chamade, for the last 3 bars of the Widor Toccata at Easter. Make sure your congregation is at least 7 1/2 miles away before pulling the stop. You may have to sacrifice your own life (and the structural integrity of your church building) to use it, but it will be worth it.

You might also consider using it for the end of the Dudley Buck Star Spangled Banner during July 4 fireworks.
  • CharlesW
    Make sure your congregation is at least 7 1/2 miles away before pulling the stop

I can tell you have never visited my parish. The congregation is long gone by the 12th measure. LOL.
    Thanked by 1JonLaird
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    128' Trompette Apocalyptique en Chamade

Perhaps a 256' Kyrie Eleison stop while we're at it.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    How about a 5m Trompette Royale With Cheese?
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ZacPB189ZacPB189
    Or a Byzantine piston that shuts off the organ, encloses it, and somehow gives the choir more male presence.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CHGiffen
  • Or a 2048' trumpet, controlled only when the organist gets the 2048 tile.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • CharlesW
    You did say it is for a TLM parish. Maybe a 32' Anathema Mirabilis.
  • There seems to be a generous offering of Byzantine suggestions here.
    How about a 10 2/3 Greek Fire-o-phone
    for to engulf priests who won't sing in a blaze of glory.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Or a Gattling-regal - to keep the congregation quiescent during EF masses.
  • JonLaird
    While in the West we are accustomed to the relatively mild unda maris, in the East you are more likely to find the unda magna procellarum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_YSWTVaCM
    On some organs it may be labelled as cantans in imbrem.
  • RMSawicki
    (Twenty-three years in the organ business and this is what I'm reduced to doing - ha ha)

For Easter you'll need:

8' State Gedeckt
    4' Festival Koppelflöte
    16' Double Gemshorn-en-Chamade

AND

for Pentecost

the Solo 11 17/45' Vox Polyglottis This rank, made of DOUBLE harmonic reeds, voiced on 150" wind pressure, speaks in tone clusters of three to seven notes, depending on which note is played, as it is wired randomly across the relay.

:-)

Gaudete in Domino Semper!
  • Torculus
    How about a 10 2/3 Greek Fire-o-phone

I was thinking of a 10 2/3-ft. Trombone in honor of that annoying bass trombone player who always has to take the last note of a piece down an octave, even when he doesn't have the root of the chord.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Could there be a reed on a Spanish (or Argentine) organ which sounds insistently unsure of itself, being both harsh of tone and unstable of pitch.... a Vox Franciscus, perhaps?
  • I can't speak for reeds in the Argentine,
    but those historic ones on Spanish instruments are known to be quite self-assured.
    No Pauline 'uncertain trumpets', these!

Thanked by 1NihilNominis
  • Ok. Make it a reed - celeste, then. [It wobbles, on purpose, and gives the impression, when played alone, of being off-pitch]