Salary range in job postings
  • It has been my experience that the more highly skilled and top 10-15% of my musician colleagues will not bother responding to a job posting that does not include at least a salary range. (Something along the lines of "Control+F" and then searching for the "$" sign, before deleting a posting...)

I'm wondering what other forum members think of that? How many do the same? What do job post writers/hirers think of that?

(I know that personally when I have hired singers and organists, I have *always* gotten a higher skilled application pool when including compensation information.)
  • I can say honestly that the most important factor for me would be the presence of a good organ, the desire for fine music, the reality of beautiful liturgy, and so forth. A difference of ten or even twenty thousand dollars between a church which had these and one that didn't would not alter my prerequisites. Also, the moment I read that a grand piano (even a Bechstein, yet!) is being touted is the moment I stop reading.

That being said and all things being equal one should expect for a full time post a salary range of anywhere between fifty to sixty thousand and more, depending on the part of the country and the 'job description'. But the important things are those mentioned above, which can make the salary of less relative importance. I (and I know that I am not alone) have always been more concerned with what I got to do and participate in than how much I was paid for it - providing the pay was anywhere near appropriate.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    anywhere between fifty to sixty thousand and more, depending on the part of the country and the 'job description'.

Yes the location matters greatly. In Indiana, you aren't going to get anywhere near that, even for full-time with professional qualifications.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • How true, Clerget. The figure I surmised is probably not representative of everywhere, in fact, maybe not of most locales. I have, though, heard of some who surpass a hundred thousand - which, to me, puts them amongst a very pampered few pied pipers (who most often often don't really deserve being pampered).

The bottom line for those who have musical and liturgical integrity is the instrument, the choir, the priest and most of all - the liturgy.

A 'decent' part time salary should be, I think, between 20 and 30. A full time one between 35 and 50, in some cases more. These figures will vary depending on locale and cost of living.

Too, specifically to answer the original question, for many reasons that I shant enumerate here, it would be most helpful and 'above board' if salary ranges were revealed in advertisements for open positions. It seems to me that there are some positions that are advertised as 'full time' but, salary wise, aren't. Then there are some that are advertised as 'part time' which seem to be expecting 'full time' work. We are deserving of greater truth in advertising.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    who surpass a hundred thousand

Often if you speak to musicians who have made this much, you find that they were most miserable in this job and were much happier when they took a 45k+ paycut to go someplace better.
  • MatthewRoth
    I also think it’s disrespectful to those who do this to support their families in addition to their love of beautiful worship of God. Does anyone ever feel comfortable making contact in order to ask about a salary range? (I’ve never had to do that, being one of the youngins here…) It would be mutually beneficial to post that information so as to be clear upfront and to make the most of everyone’s time.

Also, some of the postings here are not descriptive at all, whereas some are very detailed. There needs to be a happy medium.
  • Kathy
    The whole hiring process is an opportunity to get to know the people you are going to be working with. Time will tell many things. Things like this--reserve vs. candor-- may suit some more than others. There's some etiquette involved, and certainly everyone should be trying to impress, but the bottom line is only take jobs that you really want, for whatever reasons.

Personally I feel that finding out what the opportunities are is usually worth the trouble of interviewing.
    And depending on your situation, you might not want to do this, but the interview is a great time to ask the "tough questions," such as: what is your resource for Gregorian chant? (This will tell you if they even sing Gregorian chant at their parish). Noel Jones also suggested asking the following: "If I had to replace the entire musical staff (working for me), would you support that decision?" His justification for that particular question is to find out if there are any "sacred cows" in the parish that the pastor won't ever let go. You are eventually going to be in conflict with this person, and you want to know if the pastor will side with you, or someone else. When the inevitable conflict with the "sacred cow" happens, you either have to cave or that's the end of your time at that parish. I digress: this was supposed to be a post about interview questions. I would also ask the following: what is the role of music in the Mass? (This will tell you if the pastor is of a mindset that precludes Sacred Music). Be sure to ask follow up questions as well, because if the answer to the previous question was "helping people pray," (as it was during my interview and I imagine would be for many, YMMV) your next question should be, "how does the music help people pray?" It's a legitimate question, and you want to know what the pastor thinks.

In short, ask the following "tough questions" if you feel particularly inclined:

1. What is the role of music in the Mass?

2. What is your resource for Gregorian chant?

3. People don't always work well together, especially after a change of administration. If I see the need for a personnel change, would you support my decision? (this is a softer way of asking Noel Jones' question, because if the pastor says something like, "it depends," you can ask a follow up, "upon what?")

Remember, always ask follow up questions. Make them explain themselves. This is just my personal chip about this, but I think that administrators do a great job of grilling applicants and making us explain and talk and trying to shake us in the interview so that they can narrow the field. Remember that an interview is as much about determining if they are the right fit for you, and not just the other way around. It can certainly seem that way if you are in dire need of the job, in which case the situation changes, and the above questions might not be so important to ask. However, I would still ask them, just perhaps not press any of them with follow up questions: they would still show that you are thinking ahead, and that you are aware of the demands of the job.
  • kevinfkevinf
    While salary is a concern, the leadership in terms of clergy is the crucial question. If you do not have support from the clergy, paying 100K is a waste of energy.
    And in some of those cases, the salary might be so high because they know it is difficult to find someone who will be able and willing to do what they want them to do.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • The standard today seems to be to say "in accord with AGO (or NPM, which uses AGO) guidelines". That's what I would look for. Granted, the many intangibles and vision and priest all play into this question, but this thread is about salary. I can't feed my family on the fact that someone loves good music..

I know that as soon as I mention AGO standards a bunch of usual suspects will come to scoff about how those are unrealistic and never offered. I can only say that you are very much behind the times and out of the loop of our profession if you believe that.
  • Also keep in mind that AGO standards include about a $30k range per category, when you consider benefits. They are a negotiation starting point, not a set salary.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
    The problem that I can see with that, and I can hear my former boss saying it: that's just the sort of thing he would say, is this, "Well, we're not the AGO," and flat out refusing to negotiate. They don't have to negotiate with you, and I think, at least this has been my experience, if you try to negotiate salary with them, they will simply pass you up for someone who will just accept what they are offering.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Yeah, but do you really want to work for someone/someplace like that, CK? That person, priest or not, sounds like a jerk. Plus, if they refuse to negotiate, then how much do they really want you to work there? I think it's indicative of what things would be like if you worked there, unfortunately.

I think that if a pastor wants to hire...
    a. a highly competent musician
    b. who can help create the right "ethos" of the liturgy through his/her decisions
    c. who is willing to live a life of consistent adherence to the Catholic Church's teaching on sexual morality, and is therefore likely to have a large family
    d. who is not constantly looking to leave for higher wages somewhere else

...that then they will offer something in the AGO/NPM range or even above it, in some cases.
  • rollingrj
    As I do look for positions in this profession, it is helpful that a salary range is provided, but not that it is necessary, for I seek positions which fit my skill set. I have developed my own guideline for starting pay. I look for two numbers: the median income of the area (care of the Census Bureau) and the starting salary of a high school music teacher (if I am able to find their pay chart). (Most of the time, those two numbers are very similar). Comparing that to my own financial/personal needs, I can make a decision.

As always, YMMV.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
    I lead the best possible music within the limits of my musicians,

I feel it's important to expand those limits also, or in many places you end up with a choir that sings from the same repertoire of 12 pieces for all eternity.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Elmar
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Beyond pragmatic and philosophical reasons for programming, each new title acquired and ably if not beautifully rendered is another step stone towards greater accomplishment. "Greater accomplishment" is not a goal unto itself, it is a realization of Christ's revelation that He came that we might have life in abundance here, there and everywhere.
    Thanked by 1Elmar
  • Liam
    MJO appears to have just indicated he prefers the posting to provide that he'll be paid in gold bullion....
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • ghmus7
    Gee, i'd be really happy to tey one of those 'difficult' 100 k jobs. I bet i could make it work.
    The sad reality is thst the great majority of church jobs are part time. Churches can then get a lot of work out of someone without paying benefits....a very christian thing. I have also noted that academically, music directors are often the most qualified but lowest paid on church staffs.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Gee, i'd be really happy to tey one of those 'difficult' 100 k jobs. I bet i could make it work.

Oh they're not usually difficult at all. Except for your sanity and dignity.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
    I have also noted that academically, music directors are often the most qualified but lowest paid on church staffs.

Music isn't worth much to them, is it?
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Elmar
  • CharlesW
    As I have said before, If I needed the money, I couldn't afford to work in Catholic music.
    Thanked by 2ClergetKubisz Elmar
  • Rphillips
  • Rphillips
  • chonakchonak
    @Rphillips: don't assume anything particular about MJO's dot-posting. It may just be the case that he posted a comment, changed his mind, and then went back to take it out.

As it happens, the forum software only lets users _modify_ a posted comment, not delete it; so when MJO takes a comment out, he has to leave _something_ there. He chooses to leave a period.
    --admin
  • mmeladirectress
    MJO would apparently want to be paid in gold bullion

on a periodic basis. ;-)
  • CharlesW
    M.Jackson.Osborne - Would you like to clarify what you meant by posting a yellow, or gold bullion, response?

Jackson is an enigma and is like the Trinity - not meant to be understood by man. ;-)

MJO would apparently want to be paid in gold bullion

on a periodic basis. ;-)

Gold is good, but there is precious little of it in Catholic music.

• francis
    there are a lot of golden titles in the sacred music rep. But fools gold does abound.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hymn number 666, "I got dem iron pyrite blues, hep me Lord!"
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Elmar
    Irishtenor:
    Just have a check on my new position:
    I think that if a pastor wants to hire...
    a. a highly competent musician
    Not.
    b. who can help create the right "ethos" of the liturgy through his/her decisions
    Not really, but not opposed either.
    c. who is willing to live a life of consistent adherence to the Catholic Church's teaching on sexual morality,
    ... yes! ...
    and is therefore likely to have a large family
    ... 2 kids is not THAT large a family ...
    d. who is not constantly looking to leave for higher wages somewhere else
    spot on ...
    ...that then they will offer something in the AGO/NPM range or even above it, in some cases.

... pretends to be willing, but parish finances not permitting ...
    i.e.: NOT.
  • PaxMelodious
    I have also noted that academically, music directors are often the most qualified but lowest paid on church staffs.

That is simply supply and demand at work. There are lots of people who love music and would love to be paid for playing music. There are lots who would love a regular gig offering weekly income, limited night work, in an environment which is usually relatively free from addictive substances (alcohol). So there's lots of competition for such jobs.

And I'm not sure that comparing priests vs musicians qualifications is exactly fair. Sure the musos have higher level quals - but how many of them have actually studied at seminary level for seven years, while also eschewing the possibility of a life and sex partner.
    Sure the musos have higher level quals

I was under the impression that priests hold the equivalent of a master's degree, something I currently do not possess (as well as many other other DMs in my area).
  • Kathy
    There are many differences between priests and DMs that make their situations hard to compare.

-Priests' educations were usually subsidized
    -Priests receive all kinds of benefits that DMs do not, including room and board, health, retirement, sometimes cars
    -Priests receive gifts and stipends that are unheard of in any other position

Parish musicians have a specialized skill, and DMs have to be good leaders or they will fail. The level of diplomacy required is in most cases incredibly high. Weekday and weekend hours are required and holiday hours are insane. Of course they should be the highest paid on parish staffs.
  • Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

So....how do we encourage people writing job postings to include a salary range or guideline?

Personally I find it unprofessional and unserious when priests or administrators make a post, asking for a letter, resume, recordings, etc. and don't include a salary range or say "AGO guidelines". I will almost never respond to an ad, unless it lists something giving an indicator that they're serious people willing to hire a serious musician for a serious salary.

My experience has been that maybe 8 out of 10 job postings I've responded to, where salary wasn't hinted at, was for a place I would never wish to work at for any number of reasons. That's why I've developed the habit of ignoring every ad that doesn't include a salary guideline, and was curious what others' experiences were and habits are.
  • Kathy
    I think this is normal in job postings of all kinds. Very few hint at the salary.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
    Personally I find it unprofessional and unserious when priests or administrators make a post, asking for a letter, resume, recordings, etc. and don't include a salary range or say "AGO guidelines". I will almost never respond to an ad, unless it lists something giving an indicator that they're serious people willing to hire a serious musician for a serious salary.

It has been my experience that many of them aren't serious about it. They just need someone who can fill a position that they couldn't execute themselves, nor just pawn off to some random person they already have available. Music in many places is what I call "hire and forget:" they hire you, then don't want to have to deal with it anymore.

My experience has been that maybe 8 out of 10 job postings I've responded to, where salary wasn't hinted at, was for a place I would never wish to work at for any number of reasons. That's why I've developed the habit of ignoring every ad that doesn't include a salary guideline, and was curious what others' experiences were and habits are.

There may be a reason they choose to omit the salary and compensation information, which is what I think you're getting at. Personally, I will apply depending on a number of factors, and it's not until after the interview that I decide whether or not it's some place I'd like to work.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I think it's especially true at the two ends of the spectrum. Places offering a pittance don't want to put that in writing. Likewise with those $70-80-90-100k jobs: they don't want word to get around that they're paying the music director a nice salary.

As soon as someone grumpy hears that a musician with an MM and 10+ years of experience, who is proficient in multiple instruments and the sacred liturgy, is earning the same amount as any other professional, guess who is going to hear about it? Most pastors don't want that kind of a headache.

"Salary commensurate with education and experience" doesn't really mean anything, because it could mean ANYTHING.