Mundelein Psalter
  • I'd like to hear what others think of the Mundelein Psalter. Praying with it has renewed my love for the Liturgy of the Hours. I sing the hymns to the tunes in the Liber Hymnarius. I wish the hymn texts preserved the doxologies written for the hymns.
  • priorstf
    I'd love to try them, but at $50 the book and a stern 'no copying' notice on their website, I can't justify it for occsional usage.
  • Jscola30
    I use it for my own private recitation/singing. Honestly, while I see value in the simple tones, they are a little too "simplex" and don't vary from day to day. On the whole though, I think its a good way to start a LOTH renewal.
  • Oh I think it is a wonderful and thrilling contribution -- long overdue. Yes, I've heard of reservations and no doubt that it can be improved, as the editors even say. Even so, it is magnificent. also, I love the hymns at the back. I wish they could be published separately.
  • G
    Love it.
    Beautiful concept, beautifully executed, "user friendly,".... I am very grateful to Frs Weber, Martis, et al.
    I use it only privately, there would be no place for it in my parish, alas.
    Although I have used it at funerals, sung psalms from it for which the congregation had no trouble at all picking up their response.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • It's a great book -- I've been using it daily since I bought my copy last year. I wish more parishes would do the Liturgy of the Hours. It can be lead by a layperson easily. And it is an extremely powerful ministry.

That said, the simple Mundelein tones are starting to wear on me. Lately I've been chanting the Benedictus and Magnificat in Latin using antiphons from the new Antiphonale Monasticum, and I hope to start chanting all of Lauds and Vespers in Latin once I can put together a Latin-English pointed psalter. I think the Mundelein book is probably great for a parish context, where it makes singing the whole Office quite easy, but it doesn't really seem right for long-term personal use.
  • Skitalets, you said it. The Hours are a far far better option than the lay-led communion service. Someone please make this argument systematically and send it to me for Sacred Music.
  • Jan
    This is great information! I ordered my copy yesterday for $40 through Liturgy Training Publications (1-800-933-1800).
    Laura (733-486-8940 x268) in their business office had a lot of ideas how to work through the copyright issues.

Thanks all.
  • ghmus7
    We use it at least four times a week, I have been through the all the cycles a number of times. Generally, I think it is unbeatable for a way for a community to sing the offices together. I think it is orientated towards community rather than personal use. The psalms are well-thought out as far as how they are pointed to the tones. The tones are very singable. I don't know if it is still available, but there is an organ accompaniment book to the psalm tones and Greg. antiphons. (I would be happy to send you a version) I like the psalm tones in general, though they can get a little monotonous over time and are simpler than the Meinrad tones. It is a great help to have a book, a whole breviary that is you can just pick up and use. The hymns are really well translated, I think, and very easily singable by a great variety of hymn tunes.
    Of course, you can substitute any other settings or polyphony etc. The book is nicely printed. After awhile, the two gospel canticles become memorized by everyone and they don't need to look at the book.
    Oh, one strange think, which I've never figured out (maybe someone can explain this) is the the Invitatory psalm with antiphons in not in the book! I don't understand the reasoning for this.
    So, we end up using the breviary for the invit. psalm and antiphon, and then the Mudelein, for the rest, rather a pain.
  • Ally
    I love the Mundelein Psalter.

I have my own copy for personal and family use (we also have just the Night Prayer book as well). Of course, going to school there, the community prays it together, which is just fantastic. For Solemnities in the summer session, we have sung the psalms with accompaniment (yes there is a book of accompaniments, but I'm not sure how widely available it is...I acquired mine as a student there).

One of my choir members came with me to the architecture conference at the Liturgical Institute last week, and after sung Vespers, he turned around and said "WOW! I've never heard anything like that in person!!" He went to the bookstore and bought his own copy right away. You can find places (like on campus at Mundelein) where it is less than $50, btw. It is a GREAT way to get people involved in the LOTH.

At our parish, we are fortunate that they do say (not sing, but I'm working on it...) Vespers every Wednesday at the end of adoration. The third Wednesday of every month, we have Benediction, so that's where I'm trying to start singing.

Fr. Weber's tones (in the Mundelein Psalter) are perfect for this type of group, because they are simple yet beautiful. A perfect way to begin the LOTH renewal at a parish. Definitely needed!
  • I think the book is highly commendable. Everything about it, from layout, hymnody and all is almost flawless. I do agree, though, with several others above as to the limited selection of psalm tones. The same ones are used over to rather tiring effect; and there is not even one in all the eight modes. Too, these modern psalm tones are good to have in the repertory and are beautiful, but tiring after a while as a no-other-choice option. It is too bad that Catholics seem to have given up on the Gregorian psalm tones in English. With a rhythmic translation (and this is a must) I can vouch from much Anglican experience that English psalmody to the Gregorian tones can be immensely satisfying. This seems to me just another example of the unhelpful if-it's-Gregorian-it-has-to-be-Latin (or, the if-it's-English-it-can't-be-Gregorian) school of thought.
    Thanked by 2SkirpR jamesdm49
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    I love the Mundelein Psalter. I learned about the office in the context of music history class and when I first played for a contemporary vespers service I couldn't figure my way out of Christian Prayer. I purchase my MP at a 40% discount. It's very easy to follow and I love the Gregorian hymns. I love the inclusion of the Latin texts for some items. I wish the melodies were included for all of the hymns and the Marian antiphons. It would also be a nice feature to print a single office like the e-breviary. Now I'm ready to study the monastic version with proper antiphons. But I needed the MP to learn how to pray the office. One question: on memorials do the antiphons and psalms that are not proper to the feast come from the commons or the daily psalter? I'm still not clear on that parricualr instruction. It seems one has a choice.
  • bgeorge77
    The book is really well made, and the idea behind it is really fantastic, but the antiquarian attitude towards copyright makes the whole project a dead end.
  • BenBen
    I love having all the traditional hymns, not all the new tripe in the modern english breviary.
    Thanked by 1bgeorge77
  • I love it. Some might find it overly simple, but for an average parish "come to evening prayer," it's just perfect. The hymns are exquisite.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    One question: on memorials do the antiphons and psalms that are not proper to the feast come from the commons or the daily psalter? I'm still not clear on that parricualr instruction. It seems one has a choice.

My favorite question, because it is often misunderstood.

GILH 62. "On Sundays and weekdays, however, the psalms and their antiphons are taken from the current week and day of the psalter. On memorials of the saints they are similarly taken from the current week and day of the psalter, unless there are proper psalms or antiphons."

There are only a handful of memorials with proper antiphons and psalms at Lauds and Vespers... Holy Guardian Angels, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Agnes, and a few others... those are the ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

The option to use the commons on memorials applies to the invitatory, hymn, reading, responsory, Gospel canticle and intercessions, but *not* the psalmody - unless one has a specific reason to elevate the memorial to a feast.
    Thanked by 2Earl_Grey Gamba
  • That's how I read the instruction, but what makes it confusing is that in the context of the propers it keeps directing to the commons whuch in turn directs back to Sunday week one for the psalms, which never made much sense. Sometimes I have read the antiphons from the commons but kept the psalm of the day, but it sounds like the psalm AND the antiphons are taken from the commons ONLY when the memorial is elevated to a feast.
  • ghmus7:

The the Invitatory psalms with antiphons can be downloaded as PDFs from the "Links" page on the Mundelein Psalter Projects Page of the Liturgical Institute:
    Invitatory Card
    Invitatory Psalms and Antiphons

I love the Mundelein Psalter; although, I would like to have the music for more interesting Antiphons instead of just using the psalm tones. Will someone do this when ICEL is finished with the new translation of the LOTH?
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    That's how I read the instruction, but what makes it confusing is that in the context of the propers it keeps directing to the commons whuch in turn directs back to Sunday week one for the psalms, which never made much sense. Sometimes I have read the antiphons from the commons but kept the psalm of the day, but it sounds like the psalm AND the antiphons are taken from the commons ONLY when the memorial is elevated to a feast.

If you're referring to the general rubric for entries in the Proper of Saints that says: "From the common of x or y, pp," this doesn't mean that those commons are required for all missing elements in a memorial's proper, only which commons to draw more material from if you were elevating the memorial. For example, the patron of your parish would be celebrated as a solemnity, even if it is only a memorial in the General Calendar, etc.
    Thanked by 1Earl_Grey
  • ghmus7
    Does anyone know the name of the font that the psalter uses?
  • Looks like Palatino to me.
  • I'm pretty sure it's [Adobe] Caslon.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    WhatTheFont!? reports that is (in fact) Adobe Caslon Pro.

I converted the title page to an image (attached for reference) and uploaded there.