Spanish Madrigal: Para Dar Luz Inmortal
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    I am just captivated by this particular Spanish madrigal devoted to St. Joseph, "Para Dar Luz Inmortal". It can be listened to here as performed by Chanticleer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMcRkw_Lk50

My parish choir is hoping to sing this piece. We've managed to find the sheet music for the choral portion, but can anyone direct me to sheet music for the instrumental accompaniment that goes along with the choral performance?

God bless!
    Thanked by 1MarkThompson
  • ronkrisman
    mad·ri·gal
    ˈmadriɡəl/
    noun
    a part-song for several voices, especially one of the Renaissance period, typically arranged in elaborate counterpoint and without instrumental accompaniment. Originally used of a genre of 14th-century Italian songs, the term now usually refers to English or Italian songs of the late 16th and early 17th c., in a free style strongly influenced by the text.

Wondering why you call it a Spanish "Madrigal."
  • chonakchonak
    It's possible, Torquemada, that the instrumental parts were produced by Chanticleer's arranger and are unpublished.

FWIW, Fr. Krisman, CPDL categorizes it among madrigals.
  • ronkrisman
    Thank you, Chonak. But I still don't understand.
  • JL
    What you hear on the recording is the vocal parts doubled by instruments, (violins in the upper parts), with the bass line treated as continuo with theorbo [EDIT--it's actually a harp] and (probably) viola da gamba (which goes rogue for a few cool little ornaments in places.) The introduction is an excerpted phrase which serves rather well in its place. Given the information you have (which is likely all the printed information there is), you could easily work out your own roadmap with the instruments you have and the combinations you like.

(May I use this opportunity to urge VERY STRONGLY that the organists among us take time to learn at least the basics of continuo playing, not as some sort of archaic novelty but as a practical skill? Much excellent repertoire will be open to you, and you won't be tied to one editor's plus-or-minus idea of a realization.)
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Kathy
    I think the more interesting question (than what constitutes a madrigal) is the chord progression, used eg in the Taize chants Laudate Dominum and There Is One Lord.
    Thanked by 1ronkrisman
  • JL
    Also, I suspect the genre we're all looking for is villancico.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • ronkrisman
    Good point, Kathy. While listening to the Youtube video, I too thought the piece sounded more like a Taizé ostinato refrain than a contrapuntal part-song.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    I think there is a lot more going on in the Chanticler version than added instruments; the CPDL version seems to be a by-ear transcription although, since CPDL doesn't insist on sources, one is often taking someone's word for it that what is offered is actually in public domain.

A google search turns up a detailed footnote in Russel's From Serra to Sancho: Music and Pageantry in the California Missions and even more usefully (figure 5) a facsimile.
  • JL
    In any case, the liner notes from the CD should point you to sources. It is also possible to contact Chanticleer and ask about their version--most ensembles are quite happy to answer questions like this. That said, I would encourage you to work from the facsimile Richard so helpfully found, and work out an instrumentation and roadmap suitable to the forces you have. This kind of music is much more satisfying when we do our own homework.
  • TorquemadaTorquemada
    Thank you all so, so much for your kind assistance and resources! They are immensely appreciated!
  • music123
    I can't really help you , but that is a beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing!